JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's been a while, I finally made the leap on a SIG P320 X-Carry

I purchased a wall safe to install while the transfer clears.

I also purchased a trigger lock.

I've been looking for the info on legal storage but finding mixed info.

It seems to say I could legally leave the gun out if it's trigger locked? (That doesn't seem safe)

It also says I cannot store it loaded?
There is some mentions of storing the gun and ammo separately. (Does this mean 2 safes?)

Am I allowed to store ammo and the gun in the same safe?

Can the mags be loaded or unloaded?

Unclear on how exactly a gun can be for home defense if you are awakened by your door being kicked in at 2am. You dive for the safe, looking for the key in the dark then trying to unlock the trigger while loading a mag and hoping the home invasion crew is very very slow in reaching you.

I checked for threads but didn't see a legal ammo storage result.

Also. Here goes... Affordable concealed carry program for Wa/Or ? Let the DM's commence, or links here.

Seems so far nobody wants to give free advice.

As far as storage---your house your choice! What the gun grabbers can't seem to think about is the reason you probably bought the gun in the first place is for your personal/family protection. An unloaded gun locked in a safe is no better than a few rocks on your headboard. In Oregon the new laws say they need to be "locked" but think about this---I have a gate, I have a locked door---does this constitute locked? Pretty certain that we don't have enough time or tax dollars to issue unconstitutional warrants and then have law enforcement knock on every door to walk in and check for gun locks. Again---your house your rules. Of course this could be lots different if you have kids, or friends of kids, or a drug abusing neighbor that are frequently in your house.

As far as a consealed carry classes---Read the handbook that comes with your new firearm. Then get to know it inside and out and top to bottom. Then get out and shoot it. If you know nothing about it or how to use it, you have no business carrying it. I reccomend that you pick up a copy of "In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob. This book is a bit old but still one of the best out there and written by an expert in the field of concealed carry. Read it cover to cover then go back and read it again. Then start looking for the best class you can afford that hopefully included practice live fire. It makes no difference what class you take and where or who is teaching it---all you will gain is that persons personal opinion and interpretation of the laws and questions you are asking about.The same goes for ammo selection---Just ask the question and you will get a multitude of answers from lots of armchair quarterbacks on what is best and why. It will still be that persons personal knowledge and experience you will get.

Last Edited:
Having a safe is nice, not required. Anyone other than you live in your home? If you have minors living there or who have free access? Then you do not want one of them walking off with your gun. There is no reason to not have it not loaded unless you do not want it that way. For WA if you wish to get a CPL to carry you just pay your money, give them your info and they send you the card. If you want classes? There is a great shop near you, Sporting Systems. Drop in there and ask.

Each to their own as i see it. no one here lives in your house and don't know what you got going on. read the laws and use your own judgement would be best.
unless someone is a lawyer i wouldn't take much legal advise from many. I myself keep a loaded gun as stated above you might as well throw rocks if you don't. i also have a 9month old at home and it is out of her reach and in a biometric safe. all other guns are in a actual safe and some are loaded there as well. Just remember you and you only will be serving the consequences if anything illegal was to happen with your firearm. since you are new gun owner i would diffidently take a CHL class and a few other beginner class some places offer and lots of trigger time is best.

Last Edited:
Straight from the WA A-Hole, I mean attorney general's office website:

Does Initiative 1639 require that I keep my firearm in secure storage?

No. The new law doesn't directly require that a firearm be stored in a particular place or in a particular way.

But if your firearm is not in secure storage, and you knew or reasonably should have known that the firearm could be accessed by someone who is prohibited from possessing a firearm, such as a child, under some circumstances you may be charged with a crime.

Effective July 1, 2019, a person who fails to securely store a firearm could be charged with a felony if a person who is legally ineligible to possess a firearm uses it to injure or kill themselves or someone else.

Effective July 1, 2019, a person who fails to securely store a firearm could be charged with a gross misdemeanor if a prohibited person discharges it and uses the firearm:

1. In a way that shows intent to intimidate someone or that warrants alarm for the safety of others, or
  2. In the commission of a crime.
The new safe storage requirements are not violated:

1. If the firearm was in secure gun storage or was secured with a trigger lock or similar device; or
  2. If the person is ineligible to possess because of age but the access is with parental permission and under adult supervision; or
  3. In cases of self-defense; or
  4. If the person who is ineligible to possess the firearm:
    • Obtains it through unlawful entry, and
    • The unauthorized access or theft is reported to law enforcement within five days of the time the owner knew or should have known that the firearm had been taken.

Do you have children or a person who is prohibited from having a firearm living with you? If not then you can leave the gun "out" without a trigger lock etc. I think it would be unwise as in why make it easy for a burglar to find but technically you wouldn't be breaking any law. IF you have kids/prohibited people coming for a visit, then I would advise putting the gun in the safe or locking it. My 2 cents on having the gun loaded or not is that I would keep the gun loaded I'm assuming its there for your defense so why waste time fumbling around to load it in an emergency?
And my best piece of advice is GO GET SOME TRAINING!! Most ranges have qualified trainers OR you can look up NRA certified trainers in your area.
Learn how to handle, aim and fire that weapon. Then practice what you've learned.

Congratulations on your new firearm. Use it safely and wisely.

Seems weird to buy first, ask questions later
I fired this model before with friends. I've discussed this topic a few times. Mainly in 2020. Thank you for the valuable reply with a relevant and thought provoking observation.

Trust me. I've been asking for 2 yrs but it's always good to ask a 3rd time when it could save lives. Laws change and people might offer good advice when you least expect it.

Do you have children or a person who is prohibited from having a firearm living with you? If not then you can leave the gun "out" without a trigger lock etc. I think it would be unwise as in why make it easy for a burglar to find but technically you wouldn't be breaking any law. IF you have kids/prohibited people coming for a visit, then I would advise putting the gun in the safe or locking it. My 2 cents on having the gun loaded or not is that I would keep the gun loaded I'm assuming its there for your defense so why waste time fumbling around to load it in an emergency?
And my best piece of advice is GO GET SOME TRAINING!! Most ranges have qualified trainers OR you can look up NRA certified trainers in your area.
Learn how to handle, aim and fire that weapon. Then practice what you've learned.

Congratulations on your new firearm. Use it safely and wisely.
This thing with this one is that there's some potential grey area that could go badly. Guy breaks in and takes the gun..maybe the cops recover it later. No big deal. But a guy breaks in an takes it out of your dresser and then goes and kills 2 people... The climate now is one where they will prosecute the owner just for media attention. In my mind it's a much better scenario if I'm robbed while one away but the guy had to go out of his way to smash out a wall and carry off a little wall safe then bust it open before he kills people with my gun. That protects me. Self defense is #1. Not just having the gun but self defense in keeping it locked up when I'm not home, right?

I fired this model before with friends. I've discussed this topic a few times. Mainly in 2020. Thank you for the valuable reply with a relevant and thought provoking observation.

Trust me. I've been asking for 2 yrs but it's always good to ask a 3rd time when it could save lives. Laws change and people might offer good advice when you least expect it.

This thing with this one is that there's some potential grey area that could go badly. Guy breaks in and takes the gun..maybe the cops recover it later. No big deal. But a guy breaks in an takes it out of your dresser and then goes and kills 2 people... The climate now is one where they will prosecute the owner just for media attention. In my mind it's a much better scenario if I'm robbed while one away but the guy had to go out of his way to smash out a wall and carry off a little wall safe then bust it open before he kills people with my gun. That protects me. Self defense is #1. Not just having the gun but self defense in keeping it locked up when I'm not home, right?
You aren't liable if you report it as stolen to your local LEO within 5 days.

You have a lot of reading to do, and some attitude to lose if you want genuine, thought out replies.

All your questions can be answered by reading WA RCW's.

You aren't liable if you report it as stolen to your local LEO within 5 days.

You have a lot of reading to do, and some attitude to lose if you want genuine, thought out replies.

All your questions can be answered by reading WA RCW's.
Nah, trust him. He's been researching for two years and already shot this model. He's got it down. Trust him

Which is why I said it would be unwise to leave your gun laying about.
However...
Read the law. If the gun was taken unlawfully you aren't liable. A public defender could get any "unsafe storage" charges dropped in a heartbeat

Which is why I said it would be unwise to leave your gun laying about.
However...
Read the law. If the gun was taken unlawfully you aren't liable. A public defender could get any "unsafe storage" charges dropped in a heartbeat
If you have kids in the house, you'd best be really careful, which you probably would anyway.

Outside of that, I expect this to work about the same as the law about guns in your car. If you have a gun locked in a car, it's considered locked up. If it's laying in plain sight in the car, you're an idiot. :) So if your gun is in your locked house and not laying on your kitchen table, I bet you're OK. But seriously, watch the video I linked earlier. He covers all of this really well.

If you have kids in the house, you'd best be really careful, which you probably would anyway.

Outside of that, I expect this to work about the same as the law about guns in your car. If you have a gun locked in a car, it's considered locked up. If it's laying in plain sight in the car, you're an idiot. :) So if your gun is in your locked house and not laying on your kitchen table, I bet you're OK. But seriously, watch the video I linked earlier. He covers all of this really well.
On it.

Are there any good podcasts or even YouTube channels that any of you would recommend. I can absorb a 140 hours/month easily.

"In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob.

With all that slack time on your hands, you should be able to read this book in an hour. Let it sink in, then read it again.

This is only one of his books. If you learn something from this one, you may want to try a few of his others.

"In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob.

With all that slack time on your hands, you should be able to read this book in an hour. Let it sink in, then read it again.

This is only one of his books. If you learn something from this one, you may want to try a few of his others.
Benefits of working many many 12hr shifts. Podcasts in the ear providing some mental stimulation beyond spread sheets, schedules, etc. I'll go through this one a couple days in a row to fully acclimate the mindset scaffolding.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top