JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It must be shipped to a FFL, not the buyers home. Before you send it you must have in your possession a current FFL license. Your buyer should send this, the FFL license, with any payment to you for the gun. Hope this helps... As far as shipping is concerned UPS will ship it.

Long guns you can ship US postal service to the receiver's FFL if you wish. Handguns can only go UPS or FedEx if shipped by you but they can go USPS if you have an FFL ship it for you to another FFL. But rifles and shotguns can be shipped via postal service. To go USPS you need to ensure it is unloaded, no ammo shipped with it and no markings on the box which would identify what is in the box.
ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) said:
ATF Long guns you can ship US postal service to the receiver's FFL if you wish. Handguns can only go UPS or FedEx if shipped by you but they can go USPS if you have an FFL ship it for you to another FFL. But rifles and shotguns can be shipped via postal service. To go USPS you need to ensure it is unloaded, no ammo shipped with it and no markings on the box which would identify what is in the box.
And USPS regs:432 Mailability

And make sure the FFL the buyer picks will accept it from a non ffl.
Do you guys that ship guns check on the FFL that the buyer picks?

As long as I have a valid FFL license in my hands, I do not check. I have had the buyer have me ship to a FFL that did not want to receive rifle from me. I had to send him, the FFL, pics of my driver license and CCW . Now, I make sure the buyer has checked with the FFL he or she is using.

Ok so in other words make sure I have a valid FFL sent to me, Money+money for the extra expenses, pack it responsibly in an unmarked box (that will be fun), Ensure the FFL will except a package from a non FFL, and ship it. Has anyone used the USPS? And what is the process for doing so in Layman's terms? I'd much rather suport them if possible.

I prefer using UPS.
A lot quicker, they never ask me to open the box like the USPS did, and I never have a problem tracking the package unlike the USPS tracking #'s that don't show real time movement of your goods, only when it finally arrives.
Good luck resolving any insurance claims with USPS.
Make sure you include a copy of your drivers license and the buyers name, address, phone #, etc with the package, the receiving FFL needs it for his records.
If any ammo is included with the sale, ship it separately.
I find really good large cardboard boxes behind appliance stores and make my own containers.
I carefully bubble wrap the gun, then take a large sheet of cardboard and roll the rifle into a triangle configuration, double wall, tucking the ends as I go. Triangles are a lot stronger and more rigid then square boxes and I have shipped some very expensive firearms without a problem.

USPS now shows real time movement so that is definitely a plus.

I've shipped via USPS before and never had a problem.

All you really need is the first 3 and last 5 numbers of the receiving dealers FFL license and you can verify it and get shipping info here: <broken link removed>

Also I always supply a copy of my drivers license and contact number in the package so the dealer has your info to enter the gun into their books.

So, in other words, Hammer_Man, you have the out of state buyers FFL send a copy to your FFL and when all the money is collected you send the firearm via your FFL. I take it this is possibly a much smoother way, right?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top