JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started with a regular lower and a Glock mag adapter block and a Foxtrot Mike side charging upper. I experimented with different buffer weights and springs but finally gave up before buying a Foxtrot Mike lower. Other people have made theirs work by using a very heavy buffer and others don't have any problems at all.

Damn that is a good price on that sight! Been tempted many times to get one to play with. This is making it very tempting again!
These where my go to sight for a while. They never failed me and I don't think I ever swapped batteries in most of them that I owned. One for as long as at least 6-8 years of use, probably longer as I really can't recall when I got that one. I switched most over to some form of prism or solar version over the years.

The Stern I have has the ejector with it. Far as I know you do need one. My dedicated AR9 lowers came with one already on them and on one it broke one day. The rifle would no longer work and took me a few to see what had happened. So with a lower not made for the AR9 the adapter would have to have one.
pretty much the only exception I know is the cmmg RDB system. You have to remove the ejector for them to work.

Taccom 3g has a lot of good stuff as well.

I'm exploring building an AR9. What buffer weight and spring do you all recommend?
I usually start with the lightest and go from there. If it needs more weight you can always add it. If you start heavy and it don't cycle well, well…

I'm exploring building an AR9. What buffer weight and spring do you all recommend?

I usually start with the lightest and go from there. If it needs more weight you can always add it. If you start heavy and it don't cycle well, well…
Aim for 21~23oz total reciprocating mass (buffer + bolt carrier).

I'm using a FailZero BCG + 10oz buffer for 23.9oz total. That and a Sprinco Orange (extra power spring).

Cycles well. I did my best to get it to fail to cycle by increasing weight and spring power…never got it there and gave up trying after getting to the above.

I usually start with a 5.8-6oz and go down if required. Too light can be pretty rough on your tube, buffer cushion and threads.

I have a complete lower that I have not done anything with for several years. I'm thinking of building an AR 9 from it but know next to nothing about them. I need an upper but some are described as side loaders? I need a recoil spring where the gas piston used to be. I need a mag block adapter and with that choose what mags to use And I see some discussion about ejector and last shot bolt hold open. [I'm also going to build featureless for use in CA But I think I have that sorted].
What am I missing? What do I need to know about the mag block and mag type. Are the Glock style mags better , more reliable, or cheaper? or is Colt style mags the way to go?
This is going to be a 16" rifle. A range toy, and a gun my wife could shoot, If she wanted. I also want to try some type of Red Dot sight. Having never used one would you go with a reflex sight or a optic type?
Thanks in advance for any help, DR
Go look in the classifies, seen AR9 upper for sale posted this morning

I like the taccom3g barrels for their dual feed ramps, so I tend to use their BCG. I use fairly heavy(6.8-8) buffers or the taccom stuff.
I love me some Taccom stuff! Plus, the owner Tim, always takes care of his customers!

I run a Taccom upper, bolt, 11oz barrel, recoil system and a cheek riser adjustable stock. Lower is Nordic Components with magwell adapters for Glock and S&W mags.
Handguard (carbon fiber) is from KVP and a C-more slide ride 6moa red dot.
My current setup uses a Taccom recoil system (good to go). Before that, I ran a .308 spring and a 7.5oz buffer from KVP (also good to go).

I love me some Taccom stuff! Plus, the owner Tim, always takes care of his customers!

I run a Taccom upper, bolt, 11oz barrel, recoil system and a cheek riser adjustable stock. Lower is Nordic Components with magwell adapters for Glock and S&W mags.
Handguard (carbon fiber) is from KVP and a C-more slide ride 6moa red dot.

My current setup uses a Taccom recoil system (good to go). Before that, I ran a .308 spring and a 7.5oz buffer from KVP (also good to go).
AKA: "Gucci, Gucci, Gucci, Coo...." 🤣

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top