Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What do I have here?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Gunnooby, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Gunnooby

Gunnooby Clark County WA New Member

I recently inherited a number of rifles, some of which I will be selling, but really have no idea what they are or how much they are worth. Any help would be appreciated.

This first one has an octagonal barrel and some minimal markings IMAG0142.jpg
    IMAG0138.jpg
    IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

2. broncman

broncman E. of Portland yet to close! Quality Control!

That there is a Whitney Pheonix 38 caliber (Rimfire?) Breach Loader. Era 1867-1881

3. Gunnooby

Thanks broncman, I knew that would not take long.

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

5. k7grc

k7grc Banks, Or Active Member

Looks like someone put an aftermarket sight on it. I would look to see if it has been modified to use center-fire ammo. 38 rimfire is very rare.

6. Gunnooby

Yes I figured the sight was an afterthought. How would I know if it was center or rim?

7. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Look at the firing pin recess in the breech block. If converted, it will be centered toward the cartridge. If still rimfire, the recess will be off-center from bore (just like a .22). You may also see where a sleeve was installed after drilling. It appears this gun may have been rebored/relined/rechambered, considering the caliber stamp is polished and possibly restamped. (for the cases where these guns and similar ones such as the Stevens were converted, .38 Smith and Wesson, and or Special was a common choice).

This might have been accomplished near the same time as the sight "adornment".

If still .38 Rimfire, cartridges are actually still "engineered" at considerable expense, by a guy who manufactures his own brass and drills the head offcenter, installing a primer off-center. If you would just like one cartridge to have and show with you gun, I have a very few of the old ones on hand and might be persuaded to part with one.