JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently sent the barrel of my mini 14 to Revelation Arms to get it cut and crowned and have a flash hider permanently installed. The work that was performed was completely shoddy and unprofessional. The flash hider was welded all the way around the barrel and the crown looks like it was done by child. That is the least of my worries.

When inspecting the inside of the barrel where it was welded, i noticed a nice ring around the rifling where the weld was too hot and set inside the barrel. So now its not only shoddy work, its now very unsafe.

What should I do? I'm not a very confrontational person but I would like this made right. Any suggestions?

View attachment 198887
IMGP6369.jpg

Have you taken your concerns up with Revelation Arms to see if they are willing to make this right ?
That would be the 1st course of action,in my opinion.
Once you do that,and regardless of the outcome,post up the results.
This will let others know how or if they are willing to stand behind their work.
If you don't get what you feel is an equitable resolution to this,then you will have to decide how far you would be willing to pursue other options.
You could take the rifle to another gunsmith to have it evaluated,a second opinion if you would, before going back to RA.
RK

yeah, thats sounds completely bogus! very unprofessional. i would confront them for sure! you have to make them fix it or replace the barrel.you dont have to be hostile to them but a point must be made. on top of it all you wouldnt want this to happen to another friend or customer. gives us the heads up on what happens.

Take it to them and say "notice anything wrong with this?"
Who knows, maybe they accidentally sent you someone else's beyond-repair barrel. I'd only heard good thing about their work.

I just looked up their website... from the looks of their service charge page they aren't the nicest people to deal with...

GUNSMITHING

"Service Charges:
Labor Rate Per Hour $35.
If you Wait $40.
If you Watch $45.
If you Help $55.
If you Worked on it Yourself $65.
If you Laugh $75.
Minimum Charge per Job $15.
Clean, Check and Lubricate $35.
Check and Test Fire (plus ammunition) $35."

Contact them, and email them pics. Take it into their shop and show it to them. Ask them if they consider this acceptable. Let them know, nicely, this is not unacceptable to you. And first ask to speak to the manager or owner. If they dont want to fix it this is gonna be a pain to sort out. If you want to waste time and money, sue them. You will be counter-sued (this is assuming they don't fix it). File a better business bureau complaint. Post up on all the gun websites you can about the job they did.

And most importantly, next time use Tornado Tech.

I've had Roger work on several of my guns and never seen anything like that come out of his shop. I would suggest that you get ahold of him and see what's going on..

More importantly if you picked it up from him why didn't you ask about it right then and there?

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.........mmmmmmmmmmm.........

YOU ACCEPTED THAT????????????

WOW!

Hands down the worst job I've seen posted.

It would have taken some serious self control by me not to feed that rifle to him....in any available orifice.

Thankfully it is just a Mini, and therefore replaceable.

don't know anyone involved in this. but my professional opinion as a welder and NDT inspector - The weld job sucks. They need to replace the barrel, I would never put out something like that weld that could not pass visual.
Barrel was overheated as you point out and it looks like the sight are off.
Don't fire this weapon.

I was in a hurry to be somewhere else and didn't feel like arguing about someones workmanship in their own shop. Like I said, I'm not a confrontational kind of guy.

I took it to Tornado Tech and they basically told me I was screwed. Nice people though.

My machinist pointed out that the weld was so hot that it sagged into the rifling. Believe me you, I didn't plan on firing it until its fixed right.

However... Its still salvageable. I just need a long enough flash hider so it can be cut off before the weld. I'd like to keep the original barrel because they don't make a 1-7 twist anymore.

Just a Mini? Please don't crap on my thread and tell me I should get an AR-15 instead. I've already owned two and HATED them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top