JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went to the range the other day to field test 2 of my pistols. Now I am an ex military guy so I am very use to 3/7/15/25 yards, and 25 being the max affective range for any pistol. I also to a lot of practical shooting (move and shot) but I was wondering, what distance does most practice at?

I often practice at rediculous ranges for a handgun, 100 yards or so with open sights. Getting accurate at this distance I find that the shorter ranges where a handgun is practical turn into chip shots for me. Aim small, miss small...:D

I practice at 7 and 10yrds only. I feel these would be the max distances I would be returning fire after the initial contact, which would probably be very, very close quarters.

I also practice at about 7 and 10yrds...........but only because the range I frequent is limited to these ranges.
I would enjoy shooting at longer distances but at present that is not practical due to the long distances I would have to drive to legally do so

3/5/7/10 yards for me. I'll occasionally shoot from 15 and 25 yards, just to try and keep the skills in check. I'm an average shot so I find my groups at 15 and 25 yards pretty ugly lol, but it's nice to train and keep up to date.

7 and 10 yards with 2 to chest and 1 to head and timed. get the groups to 6 inches or less with aimed quick draw shots and 1 to the head region. if this is done in 3 seconds or less then good job. mostly practice at 50 feet and 25 yards . at the 15 yards i have tried to hit center mass and at 25 yards. but it takes a second or 2 more to place as good as the 7 or 10. but at anything closer than 7 yards you should be able to double tap the center mass and stay withing 4 inches depending on muzzle break. but the head shot will take aim. . rmemeber not all combat will be like being at the range and a controlled envirement. you may have a hand on an attacker and shooting. so this is good to practice as well. go ahead and get snap caps and practice with your buddies and make a situation happen to get experience.

I've been limited to shooting at 50 feet for awhile. Last time I shot inside that distance was shooting a police training silhouette from 40 feet. It felt like cheating.

If I had a choice, I would train at 1, 3, 7, 15, and 25 yard distances.

30 feet. An assailant with a knife can cover 30 feet in less than 3 seconds. I can draw, aim and shoot accurately in just under that (same as most of you here) Anything past that puts me in front of a judge or worse.

i would say 25 yards is max. outside of that you have to start account for bullet drop and have to either adjust your sights or compensate and aim high, which if you do enough becomes muscle memory and that could be fatal in a stress situation.

I like 7-10 meters and we have a 6" steel gong at 70 meters. I've always shot speed rounds and carefully aimed long range shots. I think both skills are important.

Indoors with paper targets. I take time to breathe and shoot as precisely as possible in a place where I have to put everthing into a trap anyway:
- 7 yards (I try to put everything into one ragged hole)
- 50 feet (I try to make the smallest groups possible with strong hand, weak hand, both.

Outdoors with pistols, rifles, 12 gauge, NFA, various targets, with and without corrective lenses.
- 3 feet, 7 yards, 50 feet, 50 yards, 100 yards and beyond.
Ringing steel a block or two away with handguns is very satisfying and a fine method for determining who buys burgers and beers. In a gravel pit on a weekday morning without strangers underfoot, I can do a lot more dynamic stuff, reactive drills and fancy trick shots with partners I know well and trust. For benching optics, I keep a 100' length of rope in my gadget box so I can drag it out 3 times and know I'm at 100 yds. I've checked, and pacing distance on really rough ground can put me off by +/- 25 feet.

Please guys. Whatever your favorite distance or location, police your area for trash (your own and others) or it'll end up off limits.

I think i am going to stick to the 3/7/15, I have a primary weapon to start with, and it has a little red dot that tells me what i am hitting. Just need to do more transition drills, get back into the swing of thing and improve on muscle memory

I practice from 10-20 feet to well over 100 yards. 159 yard hits with my 10mm and 45acp.
I mean if you're running drills,I guess 20 feet is OK but why not stretch it out?

And where did the "and 25 being the max affective range for any pistol." come from?
Maybe the energy is down but it's still terminal out farther than 25yds.

Check out the pine board test iraqivetran8888 does at 300 yards with a 22. You don't think a 38 would pass that test also?

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads