JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe dumb question……

Loose…easy primer install. Time for new brass?

I didn't keep track on how many reloads I've done on these…. Maybe 4-5-6
I'm already pretty set on only one more firing…… with loose primer pockets….. because I can't really take them out and reuse in another case.

EDIT….
As I move through these and run out of Winchester primers and switch to Federal and CCI….. I don't have the problem anymore.
I've checked all rims are still under SAAMI….. is it the primers? I guess, so far.
It's not really a problem until the recoil starts knocking the primers loose or you start getting black marks around the rim of the primer pocket. If they just now started getting loose you're probably fine. And primer sizes are slightly different so that's a good choice to switch primers. Federal and CCI do tend to be a little tighter. Save the Remington primers for s&B brass since the pockets seem to run tight on that brass.

It's not really a problem until the recoil starts knocking the primers loose or you start getting black marks around the rim of the primer pocket. If they just now started getting loose you're probably fine. And primer sizes are slightly different so that's a good choice to switch primers. Federal and CCI do tend to be a little tighter. Save the Remington primers for s&B brass since the pockets seem to run tight on that brass.
These are very nice for letting you know when it is time to recycle instead of reload. I use them More for rifle brass since I don't load my handgun rounds hot.

Loaded 63 33#'s of brass in my bucket (a full bucket) yesterday, got home after 9 pm to eat my St. Patty's day dinner!!!

C7457B93-C4EC-465B-BFF1-0E8457CA7E24.jpeg B43D9FA6-1FF2-42A7-92E7-86A0286CA1A1.jpeg

Last Edited:
Deprimed about 1000 223's and tried to wet tumble. I seem to have issues with wet tumblers. I've got several that always have some stupid excuse as to why they don't work. A Lortone QT66, Thumblers Tumblers model B, and some other POS. I guess I'm looking for a Chinese one just to get some brass clean, what a PITB. Anyone know who has a wet tumbler in stock tomorrow? I've got a bunch of wet brass I'd just like to transfer into a new machine.

I've got one wet Tumblr, a big FA and only once did I ever have a problem with it because I didn't use enough limi-shine.
Hope you get it sorted out but I'd bet a dollar it is not the tumbler itself. Technique is the key.
What ingredients and quantities have you been using?
Lately I have omitted using the zip wax and cannot really tell a difference. My technique, I use hot water, stainless steel pins, a 9mm case of Lemi-shineshine and 3 laps while squeezing the Dawn.
I run it for an hour and a half then rinse in cold water (garden hose), pour into the media separator, fill it with water then crank it for about 4-5 minutes, let the hose run to get any soap bubbles then crank again. What that does is removes all the soapy water out of the cases.
For the drying process I pour the cases onto a beach towel and dry off most of the water, I turn the heater up to 75° in my heated room, spread the cases out on a blanket, separate them and just let them air dry under a fan, Whenever I go into the room I will move them around and it generally takes a day or two for them to dry completely.

3A694287-36F5-4C0B-9CD8-D9E93E658CFC.jpeg 110F5B2E-E4A8-408F-8D61-B62C1B617D05.jpeg

Deprimed about 1000 223's and tried to wet tumble. I seem to have issues with wet tumblers. I've got several that always have some stupid excuse as to why they don't work. A Lortone QT66, Thumblers Tumblers model B, and some other POS. I guess I'm looking for a Chinese one just to get some brass clean, what a PITB. Anyone know who has a wet tumbler in stock tomorrow? I've got a bunch of wet brass I'd just like to transfer into a new machine.
I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your post.

I would opt for the smaller Franklin arsenal wet Tumblr, they are pretty much bulletproof, at least the reviews I saw were 60-40% good.

I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your post.

I would opt for the smaller Franklin arsenal wet Tumblr, they are pretty much bulletproof, at least the reviews I saw were 60-40% good.

I ended up getting a commercial unit from fellow member @Newberg today. This thing is built like a tank, it's even all wheel drive. It looks heavy duty enough to give the kids rides on it, LOL. If this doesn't work out then I'll just start using my vibratory tumbler again. Can't say thanks enough for the deal Newberg made me today, thanks again!

I ended up getting a commercial unit from fellow member @Newberg today. This thing is built like a tank, it's even all wheel drive. It looks heavy duty enough to give the kids rides on it, LOL. If this doesn't work out then I'll just start using my vibratory tumbler again. Can't say thanks enough for the deal Newberg made me today, thanks again!
Sounds like you'll put it to good use. 👍 glad to make the deal with you.

Reloaded 45 230 gr Hornady xtp. Didn't tighten my lock ring down enough, half of the hundred ended up at 1.261, little long guess I'm pulling even though they pass plunk test. Do I need to resize brass now?

300 rounds of 9mm on the Dillon RL-550B, RMR 124 gr MPR HP, 5.7 gr Power Pistol, CCI-500, Federal brass, loaded 1.078" so it can run in the CZ P-09 as well as the Glock 48. Chronographs a bit over 1100 fps, with the CZ 20 to 30 fps faster. Will be trying RMR's newer "nuke" version next time. Was surprised that True Blue and CFE-Pistol lagged 100 fps behind, even with 115 gr bullets…

Reloaded 45 230 gr Hornady xtp. Didn't tighten my lock ring down enough, half of the hundred ended up at 1.261, little long guess I'm pulling even though they pass plunk test. Do I need to resize brass now?
Pull if you want, but they sound like they'll chamber, fit a magazine, and fire. I wouldn't use them for home defense, but for range work, why wouldn't they work?

I haven't actually ever loaded .45 acp, but I've got dies and all the ingredients. It's just that I've still got plenty of factory ammo. You say 1.261 is a little long. Am I missing something? My reloading book would seem to indicate you're under the SAAMI max of 1.275.

I haven't actually ever loaded .45 acp, but I've got dies and all the ingredients. It's just that I've still got plenty of factory ammo. You say 1.261 is a little long. Am I missing something? My reloading book would seem to indicate you're under the SAAMI max of 1.275.
Little long for hollow points. They plunk probably just use them at the range.

Little long for hollow points. They plunk probably just use them at the range.
Gotcha. I see the Hornady basic pistol data online shows 1.23 for the 230 grain XTP. I think I have a couple hundred of those bullets in my drawer. When components were hard to find, I stocked up on dies and bullets for 9mm, .40, .45, and .380, but .40 is the only set of dies for a semi-auto I've used so far. I've loaded lots of revolver and rifle rounds though. It's still hard to get excited about loading for 9mm when the bulk ammo is getting back to reasonable pricing. I don't shoot that much .380 or .45 and still have a decent stash of factory ammo.

If you didn't crimp them you could rerun them through the seater die to the desired seating depth. Otherwise if they load in the mag, chamber and cycle than you should be fine.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top