JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On Monday I finally used up the last of the 1000 round batch of 38 special I reloaded last summer.

So, today I started working on replenishing the supply.

Mixed headstamps, 125g plated FP projectiles, 5.0g of Win 244, COAL - 1.460 with a heavy crimp so they'll cycle in my lever action rifle.

Just running 'em slow on my turret press.

I enjoy the monotony of it. It's a Zen thing.

Cheers.

tempImagecRhCDo.png

On Monday I finally used up the last of the 1000 round batch of 38 special I reloaded last summer.

So, today I started working on replenishing the supply.

Mixed headstamps, 125g plated FP projectiles, 5.0g of Win 244, COAL - 1.460 with a heavy crimp so they'll cycle in my lever action rifle.

Just running 'em slow on my turret press.

I enjoy the monotony of it. It's a Zen thing.

Cheers.

View attachment 1361732
I've very recently ran exactly the same load/projectile/powder/charge. I've had decent accuracy with it. I may load up more tomorrow.

Loaded 500 357 Magnums over the last few evenings. 200 Hornady 158gr XTP's in nickel over 13.5gr AA #9 and 300 RMR 147gr JFP Smileys. Same charge. The Hornady loads are almost too pretty to shoot. (But I do) The RMR smileys just make me happy. And they perform well too.

15707E82-8440-4324-AC09-D47E287A319A.jpeg EA537547-B680-448D-A65C-52D31F2B1A41.jpeg 53A1617E-C73C-4938-A482-DFBE9F5EBF5D.jpeg 8A9E4AAD-1694-45C2-B896-D6CADABBB9AD.jpeg

Loaded 500 357 Magnums over the last few evenings. 200 Hornady 158gr XTP's in nickel over 13.5gr AA #9 and 300 RMR 147gr JFP Smileys. Same charge. The Hornady loads are almost too pretty to shoot. (But I do) The RMR smileys just make me happy. And they perform well too.

View attachment 1361740 View attachment 1361741 View attachment 1361742 View attachment 1361745
1675872618198.png

You take the time to arrange the "Smiles" upright in the cylinder? You know there are people that would think that very weird? Not me though. :s0155:

Finally got the Lee APP out of the box, been sitting for several months.
I like my APP press. Use it mostly for decapping pistol brass before wet tumbling, and for bulge-busting 45ACP, 380ACP, 40S&W and 10mm. Can process a lot of brass quickly.
The Lee APP press can be quite finicky, and it will drive you nuts with its quirks when it's not adjusted just right, but when it works, it works great!
@CLT65 hit the nail on the head. The APP is finicky, but I do like using it, and its CHEAP.

Here's what I found that helps me with the APP press:
  • Keep the plastic case slider base and pass-through case holder CLEAN. Wipe them down after a hundred cases or so. As dirt builds up, the cases don't slide as easily into the pass-through case holder. The friction messes up the smooth case feeding operation and is really frustrating. When it's clean, the cases move smooth and fast.
  • There are two hex screws under the unit, each connecting the vertical columns to the press. These tend to loosen up, causing the columns to move laterally when actuating the handle. That lateral movement throws off almost every point of alignment during a stroke - so the cases don't feed correctly, they don't slide correctly, the don't move into or out of the pass-through case holder correctly, etc. Took me forever to figure this out.
  • You can order a SINGLE UNIT of most of the smaller parts of ANY Lee press and they will charge you $0 for the part. They do charge for shipping (USPS priority - so that is relatively expensive - so I usually order a bunch of free parts at one time.) The larger parts they charge for are sometimes sold by other sellers on eBay - and with free shipping by the eBay seller, the part is less expensive than $0 +USPS shipping costs from LEE. But not always.
Cheers.

Last Edited:
Probably my favorite part of reloading. Installing the poppers.
Shoutout to @Swanny6 for the primers.
22-250 is just a steroid round for me. Fat case …..the neck looks so little….and 55grn FMJ through AR10 20" I'm gonna guess 200 rnds to do.

Edit….179 rnd count. Had to tap a new bag of Sig brass…. You know nice round numbers for primers. I doubt I'll keep track of it on purpose. Just checking necks and rim if I'm popping hotter loads.

115BF355-D1BD-459E-97D5-728DA73A43CD.jpeg 7C54A52A-BEF3-4852-B268-9A7E1194E0CB.jpeg

Last Edited:
22-250 is just a steroid round for me. Fat case …..the neck looks so little….and 55grn FMJ through AR10 20" I'm gonna guess 200 rnds to do.

View attachment 1363270 View attachment 1363271
I've been contemplating a 22-250 upper for my AR10. How well does yours work, does it feed reliably? Also, what brand is it. I have a LOT of 22-250 brass from when there used to be sage rats in Oregon.

I've been contemplating a 22-250 upper for my AR10. How well does yours work, does it feed reliably? Also, what brand is it. I have a LOT of 22-250 brass from when there used to be sage rats in Oregon.
It's just a bear creek arsenal. Side charging. On Aero m5. Drop in trigger. BCA provides a junk mag…. But I just use Pmag for.308 on the bench. I've had zero issues with feeding on any BCA I've had.
This barrel is 1:14… straight flute parkerized SOCOM cut I got on preorder. I don't think they are lined.
I'm working up loads and playing around with bullet weights. After a while I decided to stick with 55 or for fun 36gr. Try and hover 3300 fps …. Got 4020 on those 36s
My best bench (novice) 1-1/8" 5 shot groups.
Stays flat at 200 with 100zero but I guess the cartridge is designed that way and easy for good shooters.
I'm just trying to be different in black rifles.

It's just a bear creek arsenal. Side charging. On Aero m5. Drop in trigger. BCA provides a junk mag…. But I just use Pmag for.308 on the bench. I've had zero issues with feeding on any BCA I've had.
This barrel is 1:14… straight flute parkerized SOCOM cut I got on preorder. I don't think they are lined.
I'm working up loads and playing around with bullet weights. After a while I decided to stick with 55 or for fun 36gr. Try and hover 3300 fps …. Got 4020 on those 36s
My best bench (novice) 1-1/8" 5 shot groups.
Stays flat at 200 with 100zero but I guess the cartridge is designed that way and easy for good shooters.
I'm just trying to be different in black rifles.
I may have to explore this further. I really like bigger cartridges in the AR platform (have a couple 50 Beowulf's) but the 22-250 round has always been a favorite of mine.

I may have to explore this further. I really like bigger cartridges in the AR platform (have a couple 50 Beowulf's) but the 22-250 round has always been a favorite of mine.
Also the first gen BCA 12.7/42mm (Beowulf) I have is great. Heavy barrel… side charging… 16" with Alexander arms tank break I had to modify. Looks ridiculous. But love it.
Recommend Lancer hybrid mags for this.

Haven't reloaded anything recently, but I got 50 rounds of .308 in a tray waiting for primers/powder/Hornady SST bullets. They been sitting for a bit. Been busy.

BUT, I did send some .38 rounds down range yesterday and got them cases cleaned in the tumbler today. That's gotta be worth somethin'...

Edit….179 rnd count. Had to tap a new bag of Sig brass…. You know nice round numbers for primers. I doubt I'll keep track of it on purpose. Just checking necks and rim if I'm popping hotter loads.

View attachment 1363270 View attachment 1363271
Well it's basically a 22 sitting on top of a necked down 308 size case. Definitely on steroids. I miss mine. I shouldn't have sold it damn it. Looking good.

Okay, I got my .35 Whelen brass fixed up the other day. Since then, I got my reduced recoil loads done.

Cast bullet load, 246 gr., using 26.0 and 28.0 gr. of SR4759.

P2100356.JPG

Jacketed bullet load, Hornady 250 gr. Sub X FTX bullet, using 30.0 gr. SR4759

P2100357.JPG

The Sub X is a special bullet designed for use in the 350 Legend, that's why it has such a short, stubby ogive. The angle on the ogive is such that I couldn't seat the bullet out much farther had I wanted to. The Sub X has longer striations from the nose of the bullet, the idea being that it will expand reliably at much slower velocities. Which I thought made it ideal for a reduced recoil round.

P2100354.JPG

Once the weather and lighting gets better, I'll fire these across the chrono and get velocities.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top