JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As next Sunday is a guest day, and most guests are not averse to trying something new, or just to shoot a gun of any kind for the first time in their thus-far gun-less lives, I've loaded up some .45-70 Govt to the nearest to original specification that I can.

As many here are well aware, modern-day manufactured cases for this calibre can be filled to overflowing with 70gr of 2 or 3Fg black powder, due to the internal shape, so even using a 3 foot long drop-tube, I was hard-pressed to get more than 60gr in - and even that came level with the top of the case.

However, black powder is a friendly compound, not averse to a bit of squozing down, and having put a card wad and bullet on top, this is what I did. In full accordance, I might add, with well-established instructions from certain loading mavens to be found at the annual Quigley shoot in MT. The bullet is a sized and hard-lubed flat-nosed affair of 405gr, and usually exits the muzzle of my 32 inch Winchester High Wall - in this configuration - at around 1450 fps. Whilst somewhat short of the full 70gr load that some achieve, it is nevertheless deserving of some respect - at either end of the trajectory.

1669995808372.png

When this country gets on the right track again and prices fall I am going to buy many 8 pound jugs of my favorite powders, I'm tired of screwing around with those little wimpy one pounders. (Really). :D
The one pounders are good for testing but if you are making ammo, you need the 8 pounders. I'm making 5000 44 Mag rounds that take about 20 grains of powder a piece. That adds up to close to 15 llbs of powder.

The one pounders are good for testing but if you are making ammo, you need the 8 pounders. I'm making 5000 44 Mag rounds that take about 20 grains of powder a piece. That adds up to close to 15 llbs of powder.
When I had .44's I loaded a lot of mid-range heavies using Red Dot.
Matter of fact, I sprinkle Red Dot on my eggs every morning.. best powder ever!

Lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top