JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As next Sunday is a guest day, and most guests are not averse to trying something new, or just to shoot a gun of any kind for the first time in their thus-far gun-less lives, I've loaded up some .45-70 Govt to the nearest to original specification that I can.

As many here are well aware, modern-day manufactured cases for this calibre can be filled to overflowing with 70gr of 2 or 3Fg black powder, due to the internal shape, so even using a 3 foot long drop-tube, I was hard-pressed to get more than 60gr in - and even that came level with the top of the case.

However, black powder is a friendly compound, not averse to a bit of squozing down, and having put a card wad and bullet on top, this is what I did. In full accordance, I might add, with well-established instructions from certain loading mavens to be found at the annual Quigley shoot in MT. The bullet is a sized and hard-lubed flat-nosed affair of 405gr, and usually exits the muzzle of my 32 inch Winchester High Wall - in this configuration - at around 1450 fps. Whilst somewhat short of the full 70gr load that some achieve, it is nevertheless deserving of some respect - at either end of the trajectory.

1669995808372.png

When this country gets on the right track again and prices fall I am going to buy many 8 pound jugs of my favorite powders, I'm tired of screwing around with those little wimpy one pounders. (Really). :D
The one pounders are good for testing but if you are making ammo, you need the 8 pounders. I'm making 5000 44 Mag rounds that take about 20 grains of powder a piece. That adds up to close to 15 llbs of powder.

The one pounders are good for testing but if you are making ammo, you need the 8 pounders. I'm making 5000 44 Mag rounds that take about 20 grains of powder a piece. That adds up to close to 15 llbs of powder.
When I had .44's I loaded a lot of mid-range heavies using Red Dot.
Matter of fact, I sprinkle Red Dot on my eggs every morning.. best powder ever!

Lol

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads