JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It ceases to be fun for me when it turns industrial.
I get that. I suppose at times it does turn industrial, for me that would be processing brass. But just like picking it up at the range, its the one not so fun part that just comes with the fun part, of trigger time. Yet need that brass to reload so I get to it and pick it up.

Not a fan of Lyman either. Especially don't like their customer service. ...
It's funny how different folks have different results. I've had excellent service from Lyman. They bought the Side Saddle brand of shotgun shell holders some years ago. I have had one of these on a shotgun since the '80s. One of the tiny screws that hold the shell holders to the backing plate went missing. I emailed them asking them the screw size so I could source one. They called me (my number was in my email signature block) asked my address and mailed me three, a replacement and two spares. This for a product decades old and sold to me prior to them ever owning the company.

I dropped my trays on my Cyclone Case Dryer and cracked one. I emailed asking about purchasing another tray and received a response "one is in the mail". They had my address on file from the screw situation from several years prior.

Now, don't get me started on Dillon! People rave about them, but they have been nothing but dismissive when I've had problems and charged me for every single part I needed to fix the defective parts that came with the press. And the amount they charge for shipping, wow!

Last Edited:
Ruger 480, had a blast!

20220926_221413.jpg

It's funny how different folks have different results. I've had excellent service from Lyman. They bought the Side Saddle brand of shotgun shell holders some years ago. I have had one of these on a shotgun since the '80s. One of the tiny screws that hold the shell holders to the backing plate went missing. I emailed them asking them the screw size so I could source one. They called me (my number was in my email signature block) asked my address and mailed me three, a replacement and two spares. This for a product decades old and sold to me prior to them ever owning the company.

I dropped my trays on my Cyclone Case Dryer and cracked one. I emailed asking about purchasing another tray and received a response "one is in the mail". They had my address on file from the screw situation from several years prior.

No, don't get me started on Dillon! People rave about them, but they have been noting but dismissive when I've had problems and charged me for every single part I needed to fix the defective parts that came with the press. And the amount they charge for shipping, wow!
I've never had occasion to use Lyman's customer service but have always had stellar service from Dillon the only reloading company I've had a less than positive customer service experience with has been rcbs they did replace the broken item but only after having me mail it back to them at about the same cost for shipping as the item was priced other issues I've had with their products they never even responded to emails and I just replaced the bad die set with Dillon.

I've never had occasion to use Lyman's customer service but have always had stellar service from Dillon the only reloading company I've had a less than positive customer service experience with has been rcbs they did replace the broken item but only after having me mail it back to them at about the same cost for shipping as the item was priced other issues I've had with their products they never even responded to emails and I just replaced the bad die set with Dillon.
My first experience with Lyman was bad. They wouldn't even sell me the part I wanted. As was my next to last. The next day after my last bad experience I sold the press and talked to someone and let them know what I thought. He was going to get me the 79 cent clip but it was too late.
I had incredibly good experiences with RCBS before I ever owned a Dillon. Now I have 6 Dillons and at the moment 4 RCBS presses.
I never was as impressed with Dillon like I had been with RCBS.
They are both changing and not for the better. It seems like it really depends on who you talk to anymore.
Dillon and RCBS have both waranteed out parts and pieces that I have lost and broken not to mention worn out. Why either of them should cover my stupidity is beyond me other than to create brand loyalty.
Earlier this year RCBS would not even give me a schematic on an obsolete part so I could get it made. That was disappointing to say the least.
Nothing stays the same.

In regards to returning a broken item the only items I've ever had to return to both RCBS and Dillon has been kinetic bullet pullers. Think it cost like 10 bucks to do do last time so I still came out way ahead. Something I wore out and broke and probably improperly used and they turned it into a new one for less than a third of the cost of new. No complaints on my part for a little effort.

2 weeks ago I was in case prep mode anticipating the upcoming COHO season, had to stay busy.

Prepped 900+ LC 5.56 cases, vibratory cleaned before resizing, resized, rinsed in lacquer thinner to remove lanolin/heet concoction, swaged, final vibratory cleaning and then trimmed to 1.750"

Prepped 800+ PMC cases, vibratory cleaned before resizing, resized, rinsed in lacquer thinner to remove lanolin/heet concoction, swaged, final vibratory cleaning and then trimmed to 1.750"

You and I are close Caveman in our prep. Walnutshell tumbler, decap and size, trim, chamfer inside and out, cut out crimp, wet tumble in SS media, dry and anticipate loading these gorgeous cases. I load, then corncob tumble for 30 minutes then box 'em up. Like you, I do about a thousand at a time.

You and I are close Caveman in our prep. Walnutshell tumbler, decap and size, trim, chamfer inside and out, cut out crimp, wet tumble in SS media, dry and anticipate loading these gorgeous cases. I load, then corncob tumble for 30 minutes then box 'em up. Like you, I do about a thousand at a time.
Indeed we do. I have slacked off lately with this batch and I did not wet clean with SS pins, just came out looking beautiful with the new corncob media and Nu-Finish car wax. :D

85115915-30A1-4326-81AF-54C6C3386133.jpeg

Ok,first day reloading. Been working in case prep for about 5 days and doing tons for reading. Loaded up 100rds of 300 HAM'R. It's 300 blackouts big brother. Gonna go shoot em tomorrow and report back.

110gr vmax w/26.5grs AA1680
Wilson's minimum load spec.
A 300 ham'r left, 300blk right. Both 110gr projectiles.

20220928_134254.jpg

Wife insists on watching the "news." To avoid shooting the TV, I retreat to the loading bench. Tonight I looked up some .45 ACP +P loads in one of my Hodgdon manuals. Settled on 185 grain Remington Golden Sabers over 10.0gr. HS-6 for about 1100 FPS in Commander length barrels. Once fired Federal cases that were free at work. Interestingly, Hodgdon shows no reduced loads in this application, stating they are strictly high- velocity.

1664514153709.png

I took most of the last week off to work as a range safety officer for hunter sight in days. Now back to the machines. Today I'll start on 44 Mag then 44 Special. After those I'll do a run of 32-20 both for rifle and pistol. I load a different load each way but when the press is set up it's just a matter of changeing the powder and adjusting to the different bullet. While I was range officering 20,000 Blue Bullets arrived so after these small runs it'll be back to the big press for production runs of 9mm and 380.

I cast, coated, and sized about 4000 in various calibers over the last 2 weeks. Last week I finished loading a run of 250 in .351WSL. I'm waiting on a couple of new Arsenal molds in .358 that are Kieth types and then I'll get back to Casting before the weather goes too far south.

20220925_134154.jpg
20220918_180332.jpg
20220919_183813.jpg
20220919_190532.jpg
20220919_193333.jpg
20220915_185603.jpg
20220924_072234.jpg

Attachments

• 20220926_191946.jpg
    20220926_191946.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 22

Upcoming Events