JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's the headstamp on the brass? The reason I ask is because the only 7.62 NATO round I ever had fail split clear through the case head into the primer pocket.

It was an Israeli TZZ 80 round. I found out later that that year was known defective, bad brass.
These were someone's commercial handloads. Mixed headstamps Greek, NATO, and an odd mixture of 147 FMJ and some kind of pointed round nose bullet.

What's the headstamp on the brass? The reason I ask is because the only 7.62 NATO round I ever had fail split clear through the case head into the primer pocket.

It was an Israeli TZZ 80 round. I found out later that that year was known defective, bad brass.
The case that separated had the NATO "+" in a circle in the headstamp. As I was pulling them down, I found that the only cases with the NATO mark are LC73.

Reloaded .380 for the first time. Taking the first 15 to the range this weekend before proceeding...
Also, reloaded Hi-Tek coated 9mm for the first time (usually use copper coated or jacketed), taking those to the range too.

Tested some Winclean 244 powder in 45 Colt loads with good results. I'll do more testing in other calibers before deciding if this will be a go to powder. So far it looks and feels right. I didn't bring the Chronograph this time more just wanted to see/feel how it shoots.

Loaded up about half of that "found 30-06" cases.

W748 and using 147 grain FMJ bullets.
I have them loaded with 48 grains, 47 grains, and 46 grains. Yes, the ladder is wide-ranging. I'll need to be more precise "next time".

Then, of course.......I need to get to the range with the old Garand.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Why W748?

Yeah....it's not like there is that much choice on the shelf anymore.

Last Edited:
Tested some Winclean 244 powder in 45 Colt loads with good results. I'll do more testing in other calibers before deciding if this will be a go to powder. So far it looks and feels right. I didn't bring the Chronograph this time more just wanted to see/feel how it shoots.
I also use this powder, but for .45acp and 9mm. Should be great in .45 Colt. I like VV Tin Star, if you can find it for .45 Colt.

More .357 sig.

20220705_072448.jpg

RE : Post #3,206

Well, I took the reloaded ammo and the old H&R Garand out shooting today. I'm still alive and I still have all of my fingers, etc...... LOL.

No functioning problems. The primers on the 48 and 47 grain loads were flattened somewhat. The primers on the 46 grain loads looked better.

Some of the cases were split too. Probably due to the age of the brass.

Accuracy? Yeah.....remember I mostly shoot at 25 yards with iron sights. My best group at 25 yards was with the 48 grain load. Oh well. BUT, But, but......I did manage to "see" (at 50 yards) using the peep sight. And so, I also did some shooting of the Garand at 50 yards too.

1657317570360.jpeg

Aloha, Mark

RE : Post #3,206

Well, I took the reloaded ammo and the old H&R Garand out shooting today. I'm still alive and I still have all of my fingers, etc...... LOL.

No functioning problems. The primers on the 48 and 47 grain loads were flattened somewhat. The primers on the 46 grain loads looked better.

Some of the cases were split too. Probably due to the age of the brass.

Accuracy? Yeah.....remember I mostly shoot at 25 yards with iron sights. My best group at 25 yards was with the 48 grain load. Oh well. BUT, But, but......I did manage to "see" (at 50 yards) using the peep sight. And so, I also did some shooting of the Garand at 50 yards too.

View attachment 1236519

Aloha, Mark
Uh, what powder/projectiles?

Mine do well with 47gr IMR4064.

RE : Post #3,211

From an earlier post.
W748 and using 147 grain FMJ bullets.
I have them loaded with 48 grains, 47 grains, and 46 grains. Yes, the ladder is wide-ranging. I'll need to be more precise "next time".
As for the powder choice.
Yes, I would have used a "stick powder". But, I only have a small amount of H4895 remaining. I've been running short ever since my son has been using it for his .223 reloads.

I'll either have to buy some new "stick powder" or I could/should make a better effort to use up some of the old stocks (of ball powders) that I have on hand.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

From an earlier post.

Yes, I would have used a "stick powder". But, I only have a small amount of H4895 remaining. I've been running short ever since my son has been using it for his .223 reloads.

I'll either have to buy some new "stick powder" or I should make a better effort to use up some of the old stocks that I have on hand.

Aloha, Mark
Mark, the October 2018 Handloader magazine has a very informative article on reloading for the M1. I use 47 grains of VV N140 and either a 168 gr Berger VLD or a 168 gr Hornady A-Max. These loads are good for 100yrds. The author also discusses other appropriate powders for the M1.

I hear ya. Getting (what I deem to be) an appropriate powder is my current dilemma to deal with. I would have used up the rest of the H4895 except that my son is currently working on that keg/bottle.

I was intending on using the Hornady reloading manual. But even then, I used Master Po's data.

And YES......I recognize that even the W748, was/is a NOT an optimum choice for the 30-06 (that is used often/is popular). LOL.......anyway, it's only 147 grain FMJ bullets.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

From an earlier post.

I'll either have to buy some new "stick powder" or I should make a better effort to use up some of the old stocks that I have on hand.

Aloha, Mark
Got ya'.
I still consider myself "new' to reloading even though I've been doing it since late 2011. And only been loading long gun for a couple of years. I was surprised at how many powders will "Work" in long gun applications. Some not particularly efficient , but a lot will get the bullet out of the barrel safely. and a lot of choice that will work well.
With that being said, I don't get the draw to Vihtavuori? It's really expensive compared to other great powders for the M1 rifle?
Like I said, 4064 is where I settled after testing it and H4895. There's no reason for me to ever use heavier than 147-150 grain bullet in the M1. And the 4064 works well in the Swede Mauser too.

RE : Post #3,210

Before I headed off to the range today, I loaded up more 30-06 ammo. Using 46 grains of W748, and topped it off with a 147 FMJ.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Got ya'.
I still consider myself "new' to reloading even though I've been doing it since late 2011. And only been loading long gun for a couple of years. I was surprised at how many powders will "Work" in long gun applications. Some not particularly efficient , but a lot will get the bullet out of the barrel safely. and a lot of choice that will work well.
With that being said, I don't get the draw to Vihtavuori? It's really expensive compared to other great powders for the M1 rifle?
Like I said, 4064 is where I settled after testing it and H4895. There's no reason for me to ever use heavier than 147-150 grain bullet in the M1. And the 4064 works well in the Swede Mauser too.
I can't put my finger on what it is about those VV powders. I overpaid for some about 10 years ago because it was all I could find. I worked up a couple loads and it was very user friendly I guess you could say. It burns really clean, which I really don't even care about but there is kind of a quality to the groups. It's very consistent. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it but if I had a few extra bucks and could pick up a couple pounds I would feel like I was getting my money's worth. Also it smells really good when it burns haha. In the testing I did it didn't seem to be temperature sensitive or anything like that. I don't know I just feel really confident when I'm shooting my reloads with a VV powder. I ran out of it about a year ago and I'm not going to lie I kind of miss it

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top