JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After sorting and organizing some dirty brass yesterday, I have been keeping both the dry and wet tumblers busy. Replenishing the stocks of 41 mag, 45 Colt, 10mm, 357 mag, and 222 so far. Still have quite a bit to catch up with to get to where I like to be. Don't like to let the dirty brass bucket get too full!

After sorting and organizing some dirty brass yesterday, I have been keeping both the dry and wet tumblers busy. Replenishing the stocks of 41 mag, 45 Colt, 10mm, 357 mag, and 222 so far. Still have quite a bit to catch up with to get to where I like to be. Don't like to let the dirty brass bucket get too full!
If the dirty bucket is full that's a good thing right? At least if it is your brass. Means you have been shooting.

If the dirty bucket is full that's a good thing right? At least if it is your brass. Means you have been shooting.
Yes, that is true. Wish I could claim all the dirty brass. Most of it came from my Dad's stash of accumulated brass.

I do hope to get out and start refilling the dirty brass bucket some more. I contributed some 30-30, 357, and 300 BO after a range trip last Friday. Hope to do it again soon!

Loaded 350 300blk rounds with my son last night, 220gr subsonic. Night before was almost 400 match grade 308's. Just needs to stop raining, we need to "unload" some stuff.

Working up a load over the weekend for my lever 357 rifles with 180 grain coated lead, and a few powders on hand to see if I find a combination that works good for plinking steel. Tried AA#7 and Win 296; waiting on a couple more powders in transit to also try. Need to get out to the range and try them out when I get a chance.

I found about 300 cases of primed 30-06. I seemed to remember that I had stopped for a reason. OK.....so I placed a couple of cases into my headspace gauge.

Yup.....that won't do. They need to be sized "MORE" in order to pass.

Humm......so, since they are now old and kind of cruddy. Yeah.......a bit of stainless steel wool on the body might help with that.

So.....it took awhile. But, that task was accomplished. They look awful, with a good amount of "ugly."

Next job on deck......
I'll have to remove the decapper pin, lube and resize the cases.

BUT, But, but......
I got "plenty of other projects" on the waiting list.

Rrrrrright.......
So why am I typing on this forum. Bye.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I just got in from the garage. All of the batch/lot has been resized and now they fit into the headspace gauge.

BUT.......things didn't go so smoothly for me today. LOL.......yeah......no case lube. Lucky for me, I had anticipated the event and a couple of weeks before I had gone shopping.

1655237896841.jpeg

Why, Castor Oil and Heet (red, don't buy the other one)? Yup.....it's not easy to get Liquid Lanolin or 99% alcohol. YEAH, Yeah, yeah......everyone has probably done it and everyone probably has their own favorite recipe. Note : I mixed 12 : 2. Anyway, I took my hints from this video.

I usually have some clean (washed, but ready for the trash or oil changing duties) old washcloths around the garage. So, I folded it in half. Placed about 10 cases on the cloth. Did a spritz or two, rolled the cases and that was good enough for me.

1655238387418.png

The job of lubing the cases went really quickly. Yeah.......It could have been even quicker. I usually just toss a bunch of cases into a box and spritz, shake and spritz. But this time, I didn't want the lube getting into the interior of the cases and possibly killing my primers. So anyway, the home made lube was a success.

Oh YES.....wait a bit......for the alcohol to "flash dry" a bit before resizing cases. AND, shake the bottle up before each spritz.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I un-reloaded some .308 rounds today. Have had 1000 ball relaods for decades after buying a 'deal' long ago. Years back, one of them (NATO headstamp) separated at the case head and blasted the mag from my HK91 into my leg (sore only). The ammo seller cashed me out of my warped 91. The rounds sat in a box ever since. Picked up a Hornady collet puller and am working on them. Will burn the powder but the bullets should be fine. :-(

I did a run of 32 S&W Long to be delivered today, Then just finished up a run of 38 Special also to be delivered today. Next up will be 357 Mag. With the weekend heat wave predicted I won't get much done only working in the wee hours of the mornings so will probably take the dog to the beach or something like that. After the 357 it's move over to the Mark 7 for a run of 9mm and then 40 S&W. 44 Mag, 44 Special, 45acp, 45 Colt, and 10mm on deck on down the road. Someday maybe I'll get to loading for my .223 and 300 Win Mag. Ive got Speer 50 gr TNT bullets and W-748 for the .223, 180gr Nosler Partitions with Magpro powder for the 300 Win.

After spending a few months obtaining the necessary parts, primers and powder, I loaded 30 carbine for the first time today.

The good news- I have a ladder of incremental powder charges to take to the range in the next few days.

The bad news - I had to stop priming on my Dillon XL 650 and do the priming on a Rockchucker before heading back to the Dillon'. I could not keep the primer wheel clean enough to operate properly. The H110 kept gumming things up.

After spending a few months obtaining the necessary parts, primers and powder, I loaded 30 carbine for the first time today.

The good news- I have a ladder of incremental powder charges to take to the range in the next few days.

The bad news - I had to stop priming on my Dillon XL 650 and do the priming on a Rockchucker before heading back to the Dillon'. I could not keep the primer wheel clean enough to operate properly. The H110 kept gumming things up.
I have the supplies but haven't loaded .30 carbine, yet. I chose H110 also as I'd heard it was the original powder in .30 carbine. I decided to use some of that H110 and load up 50 full power .357mag for the model 94. That H110..... Never knew a powder could be so fine and susceptible to floating around where you don't want it. But 20gr in those purty nickel .357 cases sure shot sweet in that rifle!

I un-reloaded some .308 rounds today. Have had 1000 ball relaods for decades after buying a 'deal' long ago. Years back, one of them (NATO headstamp) separated at the case head and blasted the mag from my HK91 into my leg (sore only). The ammo seller cashed me out of my warped 91. The rounds sat in a box ever since. Picked up a Hornady collet puller and am working on them. Will burn the powder but the bullets should be fine. :-(
Continued pulling bullets this evening. Dumped the powder (dang it!) into a plastoic jar for burning. In the middle of tonight's run, tipped one case over to dump it. Nothing came out. Primer only, so I am not wasting my time, but saving a headache.

Continued pulling bullets this evening. Dumped the powder (dang it!) into a plastoic jar for burning. In the middle of tonight's run, tipped one case over to dump it. Nothing came out. Primer only, so I am not wasting my time, but saving a headache.
What's the headstamp on the brass? The reason I ask is because the only 7.62 NATO round I ever had fail split clear through the case head into the primer pocket.

It was an Israeli TZZ 80 round. I found out later that that year was known defective, bad brass.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top