JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regarding a suggestion to Lee Precision to make kits with different seating plugs this was the response.

"Thank you for the suggestion.

We offer a low cost custom service to make seating plugs specific to the bullet attempting to be seated. There are so many different style bullets available in the marketplace, that a seating plug set would have to be very comprehensive and expensive to make it work for everyone."

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.

Sorted through a bunch of cast and coated .45 slugs, probably the most boring part of handloading, for me. Not too many rejects, mostly just ones that were a little big and gained a lopsided skirt going through the sizer. ~ 4 blue bins worth.

Regarding a suggestion to RCBS to make kits with different seating plugs this was the response and virtually identical to Lee Precision's reply..

"Hello,

We do offer to have a custom seat plug made by us. Please refer to our custom seat plug form for more details. I hope this information helps and thank you for choosing RCBS!

Thank you for contacting RCBS. Please expect 2 weeks for email replies. If you do not need further assistance please do not reply to this email so there is less volume coming in. Thank you for being a loyal customer!"

RCBS | Weaver | Champion
Monday-Thursday 7AM-1PM Pacific Time
605 Oro Dam Blvd. E
Oroville, CA 95965

I had problems with my cast HP for 9mm. The seating plug was squishing my bullets just enough to keep them from chambering. My solution was to put a piece of threaded rod into my drill press and contour it to the same dimensions as the hollow point plug and, "seat" them, without deforming by pressing on the inside of the bullet.

9mm bullet test.jpg HP Seating Tool-2.jpg

I had problems with my cast HP for 9mm. The seating plug was squishing my bullets just enough to keep them from chambering. My solution was to put a piece of threaded rod into my drill press and contour it to the same dimensions as the hollow point plug and, "seat" them, without deforming by pressing on the inside of the bullet.

View attachment 882967 View attachment 882969
Yes, and uniforming the cavity at the same time. ;)

"Tah Naht we gots sum things not on the regular menu!"

99 rounds (culled one brass outta the lot) of .225 Winchester. Here's the 49. Nose down guys are still Winchester brass, but headstamped "WW-Super" rather than the majority, which are headstamped "Super X". When I'm done shooting some of these, I should be able to watch the Chrono and the target to see if there is really any difference in the brass.

P5140393.JPG

Loaded for a Model 70 Varminter, manufactured in 1965. 33.4 grains of H4895 over a Federal Match primer, sending a 50gr Speer TNT at 3750fps. Book load. Chronographed.

This bullet has warnings on the box saying 3400fps max. (VERY thin jacket!).

My bullets are arriving on target punching .224 diameter holes in paper targets. No "blue cloud of atmospheric disintegration" witnessed.

These are GOOD bullets! Reminiscent of the old Remington Powerlokt .224 bullets:Those were heavy plated rather than really "Jacketed". Legendary accuracy.

In this age of cartridges praised for "being well-thought out", the .225 Winchester was one of the best "thought out" cartridges ever designed. It had a "semi-rimmed" case, allowing two purchase points for headspace: the hallmark structural claim of the Zipper and the Donaldson Wasp on the benchrest circuit.

It was to be the "Winchester Swift". the "better" .22 Varminter (.22-250). Anybody with experience with it sang highest praises.

It fell flat on its face. But it still has "Devotees".

Left to right: .225 Winchester, its Competitor: 22-250 (Rem). Both loaded with the 50g TNT. For case comparison, a handloaded .223 Rem.: 55gr Ballistic tip.
P5140394.JPG

And the gun: 6-18x Redfield AO on Redfield mounts and rings. Partyin' Like It's 1965!
P5140395.JPG

Last Edited:
It was a holy crap I've got brass weekend. I hand sorted about 200 Lbs of mixed brass and I've got close to 100 more Lbs to get today. Once I get home with that load I'll start on a production run of .380 on the Mark 7 and 32 H&R on the Hornady.

Headstamp sorted, trimmed, sized a bunch more .223 on their way to becoming .300blk.
I completed 60 in a small batch on Saturday, and started in on the remaining cases Sunday.
I still have to trim the cases from Sunday, but they'll be ready to load pretty quick.

I sure do enjoy the option & ability to make these when I'd like more vs buying brass or paying for the live ammo to get the brass.

I got out my old Redding scale, bent T spoon, funnel and the loading block I made out of PVC tubing. Then I measured out 50 gr. of FFG into each of the loading tubes I use to charge my rifle and I was done. :)

All ready for my next trip to the range. :s0139: ;)

Thanks tac, I'm pretty, "High Tec." With my old RCBS jr.

My brother, with his, "Turret Press" says one of these days I might
enter the, "21st Century." :rolleyes:

Everything I've got works for me and the only thing I've had fail in
over 50 years was a spring in my RCBS. :(

I e-mailed them and they sent me two springs for free. :s0155:

As I noted, I have a Rockchucker, and one of those fancy Lee presses with a rotary thing on top that holds three dies and a powder dispenser. Been using that for nigh-on twenty years now.

For the mount I shoot - rarely more than fifty rounds of .357-cased lead loads or thirty or so .45-70 it's enough. The only semi-auto anything I own in a .22cal that belonged to my dad and then to me. It's made of wood and steel - no add-ons except a nice old steel and glass scope.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top