JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to do that but the liability regarding a single mistake has become too egregious to contemplate these days. And too my homeowners policy will not protect me. The last time I checked the cost of a specific insurance policy to protect me was too ridiculous to consider purchasing such a policy.

I've a good friend with a business as a firearms instructor, tactical and concealed carry. He has a small range and rental firearms, he provides ammunition. His insurance policy will not even allow re-loaded ammunition on his property. Which is a shame as he used to re-load a bunch of his ammunition before he started his business.
I'm classed as a manufacturer and have the proper licenses and insurance to back that up. I suppose I shouldn't post in the "what did you reload today" thread because I am a manufacturer. I make somwhere around a quarter of a million rounds a year. When I use new brass like I did for the 45-70 and .357 It's newly manufactured ammo just like the big boys. When I use used brass like I do for 9mm it's re-manufactured ammo. The production process is the same but the prep work is different.

I'm classed as a manufacturer and have the proper licenses and insurance to back that up. I suppose I shouldn't post in the "what did you reload today" thread because I am a manufacturer. I make somwhere around a quarter of a million rounds a year. When I use new brass like I did for the 45-70 and .357 It's newly manufactured ammo just like the big boys. When I use used brass like I do for 9mm it's re-manufactured ammo. The production process is the same but the prep work is different.
There is a fundamental difference between a guy that only re-loads for himself and maybe a few relatives and friends than a licensed manufacturer. But good luck with your business. I'm contemplating whether I'm going to renew my FFL this year.

So is it a chore at this point? Or do you still get "That" feeling, with every shiny, new round, that drops? :D
It can get old and sometimes it feels like I'm the last guy in the world still making ammo. I just get into a rhythm and cruse along. I'm retired so when it feels like I've had enough for the day I stop and do something else for a while. Running a business there is a thousand things that need to be done beyond pulling the lever including range trips for quality assurance. I shoot all the ammo I make, if I don't like it, I don't sell it.

It can get old and sometimes it feels like I'm the last guy in the world still making ammo. I just get into a rhythm and cruse along. I'm retired so when it feels like I've had enough for the day I stop and do something else for a while. Running a business there is a thousand things that need to be done beyond pulling the lever including range trips for quality assurance. I shoot all the ammo I make, if I don't like it, I don't sell it.
What equipment do you use? What would you use if money was no object?

I myself would use a dedicated Dillon RL 1100 (with all the options available) for each caliber if cost (and space) were no object. Regardless of interchangeable die heads there is always some adjustment that must be tweaked. I once had a Lee Loadmaster with five different die heads. Once dialed in it cranked out copious amounts of ammo, but each time the die head or type of bullet was changed there was some tweaking someplace. Actually the Lee Loadmaster is a good press (in my experience), but all progressive machines take attention to detail and constant observation to insure powder, primers, and other components don't run out. So all the little warning devices Dillon has created are a real plus.

I have a Rock-Chucker, 2 Hornady Lock-N-Loads and a Mark 7 Evolution. The Rock-Chucker is used for the small run specialty stuff like when I make my personal rifle ammo. One of the Lock-N-Loads is set up to just de-prime before tumbling. The other makes all the ammo the Mark 7 can't do. The Mark 7 makes 380, 9, 40, 10, and 45acp. I'm waiting for the conversion kit to do 38/357 on the Mark 7. If money was no object I'd use Mark 7's all the way.

I have a Rock-Chucker, 2 Hornady Lock-N-Loads and a Mark 7 Evolution. The Rock-Chucker is used for the small run specialty stuff like when I make my personal rifle ammo. One of the Lock-N-Loads is set up to just de-prime before tumbling. The other makes all the ammo the Mark 7 can't do. The Mark 7 makes 380, 9, 40, 10, and 45acp. I'm waiting for the conversion kit to do 38/357 on the Mark 7. If money was no object I'd use Mark 7's all the way.
I'd never even heard of those guys. Looked them up. I'm impressed.

Automating the Mark7 would be a dream come true, if powder and primers were available. Like the Dillon 1050/1100 line, each caliber change would be pretty expensive with the Mark7.

Just completed 1100 rounds of 9mm with my lee classic single stage kit :)

Took about two-three hours a day for the last 3 days to charge, seat, and crimp them. I'm going to the range!
20210506_152916.jpg

I'm glad you DO post in "what did you reload today" , oremike! I like reading about the cool reloading equipment and large numbers. Commercial or not, it's still reloading.

I'm glad you DO post in "what did you reload today" , oremike! I like reading about the cool reloading equipment and large numbers. Commercial or not, it's still reloading.
Indeed. Before "oremike" stated that it was for his business I was a bit astounded at the numbers of cartridges he was producing as that was an astonishing number of cartridges for personal use. I once had a progressive press and when first acquired I went nuts and cranked out thousands of .38 Special, 9x19, .38 Super, and .45ACP, which I'm still trying to shoot up 20 years later. Now I'm getting closer to actually needing to load those calibers again. However "oremike's" loading for sale is still loading and I too enjoy reading his comments. That Mark 7 of his is quite a piece of machinery.

Ok, so here is a helpful tip. I was tasked with loading a bunch of Speer 146gr Half Jacket Hollow Points. I know the seater plug in my 357 die set is for round nose bullets and will deform the soft lead of the hollow points. So I used the seater plug out of my 9mm die set because it is for a TC style bullet. This allowed me to seat the bullets by pushing on the SWC shoulder and not deform the soft HP.

Ok, so here is a helpful tip. I was tasked with loading a bunch of Speer 146gr Half Jacket Hollow Points. I know the seater plug in my 357 die set is for round nose bullets and will deform the soft lead of the hollow points. So I used the seater plug out of my 9mm die set because it is for a TC style bullet. This allowed me to seat the bullets by pushing on the SWC shoulder and not deform the soft HP.
I've swapped out seater plugs between die sets like dirty socks for years for different bullets. And have made my own seater plugs four or five times. Regardless that's a good tip that many people might not think of at first. Forewarned is forearmed.

I've swapped out seater plugs between die sets like dirty socks for years for different bullets. And have made my own seater plugs four or five times. Regardless that's a good tip that many people might not think of at first. Forewarned is forearmed.
I do it almost with out thinking for the different bullet shapes. You'd think the Lee or somebody would make plug kits in different sizes to make it easy.

I do it almost with out thinking for the different bullet shapes. You'd think the Lee or somebody would make plug kits in different sizes to make it easy.
Or number their plugs like they number their shell holders and have them readily available. But wouldn't it be nice if they had made an industry standard for shell holders rather than everyone using their own number system? But I do like the kit idea. Maybe that's worth an email to several of the manufacturers as a suggestion.

Dear Lee (RCBS, Lyman, Dillon) People,

This is merely a suggestion, but with all the different types of bullets being offered these days Lee might make a good contribution to the craft of reloading by offering kits of different bullet profiles in different calibers to assist those performing the craft. Dies always come with a single seating plug. There are always more bullet styles that a reloader will use. So a kit with four or six different profiles would sell well in my thinking. Merely a suggestion, but I'll offer I've at least 15 sets of Lee dies and I've made different seating plugs for just about all my pistol die sets. Which is very easy if one has a machine shop in their shop. Most people don't and would gladly buy a set of different seating plugs. Food for thought.

Last Edited:
That is one helluva great tip! I don't load very many different profile bullets so it probably doesn't apply to me currently. But it's sure a good tip for others.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top