JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The other day I loaded 100 40S&W on the new loadmaster, good golly that thing is FAST. Today I shot 24 of them and had my first ever squib...:s0001::s0001::s0001: It sounded like a POP and not a boom with recoil so it didn't cycle the slide. Cleared the weapon and sure enough there was a fired case still in the chamber.:oops:
I thought I was very diligent while on the press that time but it appears I wasn't and missed one (that I know of).:eek::eek::eek:
I'm going to pull one, check the weight and weigh the rest to be sure I don't have another :s0124:.

View attachment 838816

View attachment 838817

View attachment 838819

Ooo....:eek: I know for an absolute fact that when I thump that lever on The Uni-Flow, Up-Down that there is a charge in that piece of brass.....Though somehow, early on, I missed one charge in a box of .38sp and doubled one, in the same box. :oops: NEVER AGAIN!

Ooo....:eek: I know for an absolute fact that when I thump that lever on The Uni-Flow, Up-Down that there is a charge in that piece of brass.....Though somehow, early on, I missed one charge in a box of .38sp and doubled one, in the same box. :oops: NEVER AGAIN!

Thank goodness I've never shot a double charge, IDK, I'd probably give up reloading. Getting older ya know.:s0001:

Last Edited:
Thank goodness I've never shot a double charge, IDK, I'd probably give up reloading. Getting older ya know.:s0001:

It wasn't that bad, totally noticeable report, but not that much more recoil. It was in a M66 4". "The" piece of brass looks funny and the primer is flat-flat. It sits in plain view on my loading table. Along with a 9mm case shot in a .40 caliber CZ. gun.

It wasn't that bad, totally noticeable report, but not that much more recoil. It was in a M66 4". "The" piece of brass looks funny and the primer is flat-flat. It sits in plain view on my loading table. Along with a 9mm case shot in a .40 caliber CZ. gun.

Good thing it happened in a revolver... a plastic gun would have been bad.:eek:
I like to keep reminders around to keep me on my toes plus some stuff I've found in "The Pit".:s0001:

After today's casting session, I should have a bit over 1500 bullets to coat tomorrow... 52 lbs. not counting the box.

7mar21bullets.jpg
( Those are the culls on the right, there are always a few that were cold and wrinkly, or the bases didn't fill right. )

Yeah, I know, I was on a new press and it wasn't working right so I missed a step.:oops:
It was covered in earlier post.
don't ever give up.
if old farts like us give up teaching the errs of our ways, the young will succumb to an app written by an idiot based on a tweet that was posted on a bookface and is now a gospel youtube "do it this way, or you're canceled video.
been afraid to try one of those sexy pro's so far. interested in what you think after ride er around the corral a few times.

I haven't done any yet.
Have some .45 brass needs depriming and cleaning, but at least I have the means to reload it. Also got my hands on some .38/.357 projectiles and a shell holder for the same, now just need some SPPs, brass and dies.

Over the past few days, I've loaded 300 rounds 9mm P. single stage. I had a Dillon 550 for a while, decided I just enjoyed it more doing it the slow way. I've been using up some of my odd-ball bullets. 100 ea. 100 gr. Hevi Shot bismuth frangible. 100 ea. Federal 115 gr. Syntech coated lead ("Lipstick" bullet). 100 ea Rainier 151 gr. plated FMJ. The 151 gr. bullet was originally for .38 Super but loaded properly, it can be used in 9mm.

don't ever give up.
if old farts like us give up teaching the errs of our ways, the young will succumb to an app written by an idiot based on a tweet that was posted on a bookface and is now a gospel youtube "do it this way, or you're canceled video.
been afraid to try one of those sexy pro's so far. interested in what you think after ride er around the corral a few times.

True that, if I gave up reloading I'd spend more time on the couch and that is not a viable option because brasswhoring is my way to fund reloading and fishing excursions.;)
Thusly, a man can only fish so much... :eek::eek::eek:
Did I say that??? OMG, I'm going senile!!!:s0001:

A 100 rds of 300 Blackout, 100 rds 223 and 50 rds 50 Beowulf.
Also loaded 10 rds of mid range 223 using small pistol primers - I have a lot more SPP than SRP. Wanna see what the primers look like and if there are any unwanted firing pin strikes.

Well I couldn't sleep this morning so I got out into the shop early and proceeded to pull down and weigh a bunch of the 40 Smith & Wesson that was loaded on the load master. I pulled 30 and was very pleased to find that all of them weighed within 1/10 of a grain of each other.
I have to go to a small job then I'll be back after it to weigh every single one of them to make sure they are not 5 to 6 grains off. ;)

It only takes one F up to ruin a range trip.

A 100 rds of 300 Blackout, 100 rds 223 and 50 rds 50 Beowulf.
Also loaded 10 rds of mid range 223 using small pistol primers - I have a lot more SPP than SRP. Wanna see what the primers look like and if there are any unwanted firing pin strikes.
please wear at least z-87 safety glasses. just me, i might use srp in a pistol, but "i" would not try spp in a rifle. spp are made of a thinner cup. with the higher pressures in a rifle cartridge, if that firing pin impales that thin cup, that gas is coming back at ya. i don't blame ya for using what you have, but please be careful and do lots of research.
as a side, many on this site are willing to trade primers one for one. if you can't find any, pm me.

I have to agree. I've used small rifle primers in pistol rounds, but wouldn't do it the other way around. You're very likely to end up with pierced primers unless your loads are light.

I tend to prep brass in quantity, and load it as I need it. Years ago, I primed 1k pieces of .223 brass with Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers, not knowing that they're intended for lower pressure rounds like the .22 Hornet. As I loaded and shot them, I kept having pierced primers, which etched the bolt face on my rifle. I thought I somehow had higher pressure than expected, and eventually used them all up with a lighter target load, and they worked fine. It wasn't until years later that I found out I had used the wrong primer for the application.

please wear at least z-87 safety glasses. just me, i might use srp in a pistol, but "i" would not try spp in a rifle. spp are made of a thinner cup. with the higher pressures in a rifle cartridge, if that firing pin impales that thin cup, that gas is coming back at ya. i don't blame ya for using what you have, but please be careful and do lots of research.
as a side, many on this site are willing to trade primers one for one. if you can't find any, pm me.
I'll be wearing safety glasses for sure, and probably my old paint ball mask - just to catch any small flying debirs and a long sleeve kevlar jacket.
The loads are VERY light with a 50gr bullet.

I have to agree. I've used small rifle primers in pistol rounds, but wouldn't do it the other way around. You're very likely to end up with pierced primers unless your loads are light.

I tend to prep brass in quantity, and load it as I need it. Years ago, I primed 1k pieces of .223 brass with Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers, not knowing that they're intended for lower pressure rounds like the .22 Hornet. As I loaded and shot them, I kept having pierced primers, which etched the bolt face on my rifle. I thought I somehow had higher pressure than expected, and eventually used them all up with a lighter target load, and they worked fine. It wasn't until years later that I found out I had used the wrong primer for the application.
Mimimum load listed for 50gr JHP, CCI 500 primers, and lots of protective gear.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews