JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suspect a great deal of ammunition will made in Fernley this week. In several calibers... Message_1611593975325.jpg

250 rounds 9mm 115gr rn fmj, Titegroup...Scorpion fodder.....40 rounds 25-06 100gr Nosler Ballistic tip, H4350...Working up a couple of new hot and hotter loads for my 25-06...Sure do love to shoot both..25 and 50 with the Scorpion and my range has a tiny gong at 280 when the paper work is done at 200.

These .45acp 200gr. SWCs. 5.6gr of Viht N320. 1.4" oal.
My FIRST SIX .45 rounds :)
Question: The lip of the cases gets a fair bit of scraped lead and/or the bullet coating on it. Is that normal? They "plunk" just fine. You can clearly see it on the pictures. Do I need to run in my expander a bit more? Going to go through a Para Ord P7 LDA 1911.
Thanks in advance if you have any input.

File_001.jpeg File_000.jpeg

200 rds of .308 last night, time to switch the press and load 600 of .32 S&W Long, then 2400 rds of 9mm, then 1K .223 69 SMK. That should hold me until primers are once again available at rational prices.

Hey Ben! Let me know if that pile of SPP gets in your way too much...
Coach, you're a pal! Lots of fellows been offering to help declutter my bench storage and get those nasty, dangerous, fire hazard "primers" out of my life.

In mid 2019, I decided to stop sitting on the pile of components I had and made an effort to turn all components into loaded ammo. Then in February 2020 I was unnerved by the slim remainders of primers and powder and restocked. I wish I could say that I foresaw the shortage, but it was just dumb luck.

Coach, you're a pal! Lots of fellows been offering to help declutter my bench storage and get those nasty, dangerous, fire hazard "primers" out of my life.

In mid 2019, I decided to stop sitting on the pile of components I had and made an effort to turn all components into loaded ammo. Then in February 2020 I was unnerved by the slim remainders of primers and powder and restocked. I wish I could say that I foresaw the shortage, but it was just dumb luck.
I'll bet you have had many "declutter" offers...Never say that you were lucky, only that you were very good, in a timely manner...I too am moderately well stocked myself but as insecure as the next guy as to what's to come in the future...I have recently had some great conversations with a bunch of folks of high character from this site...Colt1911 comes to mind...People really concerned with some folks who are, really, all the way "out"...In the middle of all this mess, I leaped in, mid year, and bought a CZ Scorpion toy that eats 9 like candy....Damn, its fun to shoot though...Looking forward to when I don't have to be the voice of reason about when its time to stop for now...Happy reloading to you...

It's my brother' birthday next week and he just got himself his first 10mm, a Glock 20. I figured I'd be a good brother and mix him up a batch of warm 10mm since it is non-existent around here.

7.1 grains of WSF behind a 180gr Hornady XTP. Then I realized I was light on 10mm brass. Can't find it anywhere online. A member messaged me about some so I'll get it coming shortly.

Question: The lip of the cases gets a fair bit of scraped lead and/or the bullet coating on it. Is that normal? They "plunk" just fine. You can clearly see it on the pictures. Do I need to run in my expander a bit more? Going to go through a Para Ord P7 LDA 1911.

View attachment 814001View attachment 814002

Are those coated with that gray molly stuff? I would say, like above, flare your case mouths a little more. I don't load any lead, but I think it's common knowledge that lead bullets need a little more flare. With jacketed bullets you only need to flare the case mouth enough so that the bullet just barely sits in/on the brass.

it's common knowledge that lead bullets need a little more flare. With jacketed bullets you only need to flare the case mouth enough so that the bullet just barely sits in/on the brass.

This is exactly what I needed to hear. I definitely treated it like jacketed bullets and hadn't heard the "common knowledge." The bullets have a nice chamfered edge, so I thought they'd be okay. I'll see about giving them a little more flare. Thanks!!

And yes, I'll clean out my seating and crimping die. Thanks @ageingstudent

Oh, and no. I don't think they're coated. They just have a nice blue ring.

View attachment 814001View attachment 814002
What they said.. and you may need to seat and then remove flare in two separate steps..

What they said.. and you may need to seat and then remove flare in two separate steps..
Using separate seating and crimping dies on .45 ACP was the step that got my polycoats to quit shaving lead. Poly coated and plain lead load very similarly, as far as being a little more tricky to keep from shaving. Shaving off a bit of lead will make them less accurate, too. With the combined seat/crimp die, the die is trying to remove the crimp at the same time as you are seating the bullet, which doesn't work well on non-jacketed bullets.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top