JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did a primer count last night of my CCI small pistol primers in both magnum and regular. Down to 3800... :(

Got a tip on another gun forum about Federal SPP being available for $269 per 5000 with shipping and hazmat included at some firearm shop's website. Went to the site within 5 minutes of the alert and it took another 5 minutes to get on due to server overload. They were all gone. :mad:
And most of them by now are likely available on Gunbroker, for $269 per 1000. :confused:

Did an "ammoseek" search just now... only primers it came up with that weren't percussion caps were lots of 3500 primers. At .14 each.

In other news, I bought a cool 9 shot revolver in .22lr.

Loaded up 50 rounds of new recipes to try in the new Glock Gen 5 G23.

180 grain RMR using 5.1 grains of 231.

200 grain Speer GD using 4.7 grains of 231.

IMG_20201124_195443024.jpg

Primed 1100 nickel plated .223/5.56. Going to load them with 55 gr. unknown pills over 24.5 gr. H335. CCI 450 primers and these will be for use in a light-weight BCM carbine.

9mm

147gn Hornady XTP over 3.7-3.8gn of Vihtavuori N320 (max 3.9). Winchester primers. Assorted cases. All on my new Lee Loadmaster.

Hoping for around 1000fps (Vihtavuori says max 3.9 grain will get 978fps out of a 4" barrel---my Extar ep9 barrel is 6.5"). Hoping they function well in the Extar and once the ATF approves my Form 1 I'll have a nice effective subsonic round.

A good friend once said: Don't ever use reloads for self defense. What do you think?

IMG_0223.jpg

9mm

147gn Hornady XTP over 3.7-3.8gn of Vihtavuori N320 (max 3.9). Winchester primers. Assorted cases. All on my new Lee Loadmaster.

Hoping for around 1000fps (Vihtavuori says max 3.9 grain will get 978fps out of a 4" barrel---my Extar ep9 barrel is 6.5"). Hoping they function well in the Extar and once the ATF approves my Form 1 I'll have a nice effective subsonic round.

A good friend once said: Don't ever use reloads for self defense. What do you think?

View attachment 782576

I also have an Extar EP-9 that shoots incredible groups with off the shelf Federal Brass 115gr ammo that I used to get from WalMart.

I've never tried reloads in it. I can't imagine it doing better than 7/8" at 20 yards with reloads.

IMG_20190424_155035935_HDR.jpg

And yes, I use reloads for self-defense rounds. Even if I found Jesus and suddenly decided that I should carry nothing but premium factory self-defense ammo in my carry guns, I would be out of luck since it simply doesn't exist in this brave new world.

I have had no issues with any of the rounds I've run in my Extar, but if you are concerned, just do a plunk test. If it chambers fine, then it will run.

The main idea there, is just that it might make your defense lawyer's job harder, as the prosecutor will likely attempt to paint you as one of those weirdo gun nut-jobs, that lurks in a basement loading Dirty Harry exploding defense rounds and lusting for the day he can splatter some punks. Using off the shelf defense ammo, that has the word " Defense" in the name, makes your legal defense easier. The stuff I have loaded in my carry guns is the same ammo the local cops use. :)

That being said, it's better to still be alive ( probably) to need a defense attorney, so if all you have are reloads, then go for it. My reloads are almost all light target loads, so they wouldn't be as effective as the hotter hollowpoint defense loads.

Loaded up another 1400 rounds of target loads over the weekend, .45 acp loaded like it was " short Colt", for my revolver. I think if I get down to 2k primers left, I'll stop loading til I get more, so as to leave a reserve for flexibility.

Hoping to get a little shooting in tomorrow, and/or this weekend. I know my plan was to take some time off, load, accumulate ammo and repair/acquire/test equipment for the coming competition season, but I feel like I'm already getting rusty. What are these bumps on top of the gun for, again?

9mm

147's loaded fairly hot are great to shoot.
And if you have good ammo loaded, regardless of who made it, if you need it to protect yourself and you mean to aim & shoot - I think any round is a good round.

The main idea there, is just that it might make your defense lawyer's job harder, as the prosecutor will likely attempt to paint you as one of those weirdo gun nut-jobs, that lurks in a basement loading Dirty Harry exploding defense rounds and lusting for the day he can splatter some punks.

As an attorney and ex-prosecutor, it amazes me that I hadn't thought of that. I guess I have too much faith in the world. I would have thought it would be more important that the dude was inside my house than that I shot him with a tacticool gun with some tacticool bullets---I mean: Look at the evil flashlight on it!!! Nevermind that these things just so happen to be the most effective thing to protect your home with. Not sure I'd get a reasonable prosecutor where I live---even though I know people down there.... All this to say nothing of the civil suit to follow. Ugh. Anyway, you're right.

I guess I'll have to hang my hat on my house being absolutely covered in security cameras inside and out.

And most of them by now are likely available on Gunbroker, for $269 per 1000. :confused:
Stopped by my FFL's house/shop to pick up my new Glock and he had primers available "on consignment". Had a bunch of stuff in large rifle and large pistol, but nothing in small pistol. I had an actual need for large pistol and swallowed my pride and spent $70 for 1000 CCI Large Pistol primers. That's a year or more worth of shooting 10mm or .45 Colt for me.

I suppose I should have bought the other 20k or so on my credit card and tried to sell them for the GB price of $150 per 1000.

I loaded up (30) 204 Ruger test rounds yesterday. I have always had a decent load for 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings but it wasn't real fast. Changed powder and think I've found a bit more speed. Also seems to work with 40 grain VMAX as well.

Might try to go test them today before dinner.

Working on a couple new Blackout loads...
Test fired a few of the 220 grain Nosler to make sure they don't tumble then loaded some more to see how quiet they are.. Hoping for good things since my 208 grain Hornady are hard to find just now.

Just got these below items and will do the same...
200 grain Maker
110 grain Maker
The makers aren't meant for paper though...

20201122_005127.jpg 20201121_151242.jpg 20201124_153953.jpg

I put up 375 40S&W. Had previously processed the brass so today was prime, powder, and press :) Been especially happy with reloading of late. I started back during the first ammo shortage when 45Colt was becoming simply out of my price range. Added more and more calibers as I went :D I love the confidence of being able to resupply!!!

Just unpacked my new .300 AAC/Blackout dies ... they have been hard to find lately. I picked up the Lee Precision .30 cal. 220 grain mold a while back and have cast a quick 100 bullets to start my experimentation. So I'll be fiddling with that over the weekend.

They are going to be run in a new Blackout build my son and I put together a couple of weeks ago. So far it's 100% with 150 factory jacketed subsonic rounds under its belt. I'm hoping it will run as will with the cast bullets.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top