JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't update this yesterday but loaded up ~600 rounds of my favorite 10mm target loads.

180gr fmj sitting on top of 9.5gr of Longshot. ~1330 fps out of my 5" barrel pistols with a stdev ~18fps.

Accurate load and warm to remind you it's really 10mm. Was getting too low on loaded ammo for plinking.

Lee #2 is getting pretty long in the tooth, must be going on 20+ now. On the other hand, there's lots of loads I like in there. Also, there is a special for-cast-lead-loads-only just a few years old. Can't conjure up the name right now but it gives exclusive cast lead loads. This is NOT a 'Black Powder' loading journals all the loads are smokeless.
It's good to have a variety of manuals as they all are a bit different. Some of the older recipes are surprisingly stiff compared to recent publications.

I like the Hodgdon.com site. Once you learn how to use it, handy for cell phone use.

The lee 2nd is a compilation of like everything you ever saw anywhere else ever Mike. Nothing wrong with it for ideas and starters. It does not have much specific data about the projectiles though it just lists weight except for xtp I think. I haven't done much rifle stuff out of there. The data is good it's just less specific about components. The tutorial is good though.

I got to looking close at the Lee 2nd addition and it's out of 2003. Speer 14 is from 2007 and Lyman 49th is 2008. I've got plenty of loads out of those two. Loads that vary powder weight between the two. One book has loads that start at less powder amounts than the other, but seems both books max weights are very close. That's a good thing to have when you looking for loads.

I don't worry too much about using specific components. A quality, jacketed, hollow point of the same weight and similar dimensions are good enough for me. I don't load to max pressures either. I've probably got enough between my to books and the internet for now.

Prepping 100 cases of 7.62 x 51, I got them small based resized and started trimming them to length. Tomorrow is swaging the primer pockets.
i have about 500 5.56 that need to be swaged :rolleyes:

right now i have a rcbs swager die. its OK for what it is. swaging by itself just sucks in general. i reload in bulk for 5.56/300blk so i think im going to buy the hornady swager kit for my auto progressive press.

Well I got out today and was able to shoot the load development rounds. Although the method of shooting was subpar to begin with, I did not have a table or chair so started out standing with a leaning rest. It was not solid enough so I opted to go prone, it was a good thing that I brought my thick moving pad that I use for prone shooting. It would be nice to have some help transporting said tools past the gate...
I do see a 3-6X magnifier in my future as my aging eyes needing bifocals and they just work as well as years ago.
Target was set at 25 meters and I found that the mid weight loads were the best groups, 22g-22.8g.

My last outing it snowed so hard I had to erect a shelter off the back up pickup to cover my folding table. I also had to wait through a couple whiteouts as I couldn't see my target at 100 yds. Good times. :D
3C8B693F-7787-49F9-810C-946EAA9425EC.jpeg

I recently picked up an MTM pistol/rifle front rest... inexpensive, at @ $26.99, and no, it's not anything like a Ransom rest, but it's also not $500. Worked really well this weekend for load testing purposes. Even with my sub-par bench rest bullseye techniques, it lets me get ~ 2" pistol groups ( 15 yd) with ammo that is working well.

Processed 1,600 .223 cases with a little help from SIL and his knowledgeable reloading friend.
Anyone remember my thread about mass reloading? It happened today...:s0140:
Also loaded up 2 sets of loads for them using the same powder I used yesterday (H322)...
Going to the pit tomorrow morning....:p:p:p

planning to load some test loads for .45ACP after work. Cases are all prepped, but needed to be sorted into large and small primer and primed. Gonna try hp-38 and Titegroup. Hopefully HP-38 is acceptable, pretty low on TG and it's hard to get right now. Might try Clays if I see a load for it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top