JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do hope to figure out the primer system on the Dillon since that could almost double my out put, but so far no deal. The priming system runs "okay" with pistol brass giving me hope, but even here with all the problems and stoppages it causes, off press priming is still faster.

I hope this helps,

Merry Christmas
I'd call Dillon and see if they can assist. I've easily primed >10K varied small & large pistol/rifle rounds directly on my 550. It runs reliably and I only clean & lube it every 3-4 months. I'd be really bummed & in contact with Dillon very quickly if mine stopped working or became problematic.

Last night and this afternoon loaded 250 rounds 10mm Auto single stage. My brass was ready including primer, all I was doing was charging and seating.

Speaking of decapping pins. Several months ago, I had a situation while decapping .223's. After decapping, I couldn't get the case out of the shell holder. Took me a little while to figure it out. I'd tumbled these cases in corn cob media. In some, a grit of media would get stuck in the flash hole. When the decapping pin came down, it would squash the grit of media into the dead primer, push it out, then partially retract same back into the primer pocket. Which would prevent it from sliding it out of the holder. It dawned on me that not long before, I'd replaced a broken decapping pin (broken on an off-set flash hole). So I sharpened the tip of the decapping pin and this kept it from wedging into the dead primer.

I've had to do a variation of this when loading .308's on my 550. IMR 4895 wouldn't reliably dispense from the Dillon powder drop. So I left the powder drop on, but removed the brass button in the charge station from the shell plate so I could pull each charged case out and weigh the charge by hand. I weighed them on a small digital "dope scale" that I use, and adjust accordingly. I have a teaspoon for a trickler. My take was this was a partial defeat for progressive loading of these rifle cartridges but it was necessary. I haven't gotten into it yet, but since, I've bought an 8 # jug of BL-C(2) and I'll see how it goes through the Dillon powder drop.

I do the same with H4350 for 6.5 Creed. Slow, but the results are good.

I hope this helps,

Merry Christmas

Thanks, DLS. I thought you had a lot more than 2k rounds there. And I'd second that suggestion about contacting Dillon about the priming system.

I'm not a Dillon owner myself, but it seems like the customer service may be worth the premium on the equipment.

I have a Hornady lock n load progressive and she can be finicky. Worst part of reloading is troubleshooting progressive press issues.

Merry Christmas.

I loaded up more of my new favorite powder.

150rds of 9mm 124gn over some hod700x
Has almost a 45 type recoil impulse and it's pretty economical too.

I prepped some shiny new brass, in a fancy, schmancy new caliber, the .45 Govt.

IMG_8548[1].jpg

Only 100 today, but I took longer than normal setting up and making adjustments to the dies on the progressive.
It's nice to make these for the same cost as 9mm. The new brass was a gift :)

1578179058774.png

I have loaded about 700 rounds of 9mm in the last couple of days. Range brass from a trusted source for free, 124 gr Berry's round nose and HS-6 powder. Now I just need to actually shoot my pistols occasionally. :)

I've been recently trying a 44 Mag load with 165 RNFP cast in front of enough Universal get 950-1050 fps according to the charts. Find I don't like it as well as the 200 RNFP load at 950.
Seeking a suitable point that will make both a 8 3/8" and a 4.2" barrel happy. So far it's either-or. :D

Brass prep for days right now...

Preparing to load up a couple thousand in the next few weeks. Should hold me good for the next two/three years.

.22LR is a different story.

I do hope to figure out the primer system on the Dillon since that could almost double my out put, but so far no deal. The priming system runs "okay" with pistol brass giving me hope, but even here with all the problems and stoppages it causes, off press priming is still faster.
I prime on my Dillon 550 exclusively. I have loaded on this machine for + 30 years. I second the contact Dillon as others have said.
You need help let me know.:D After rifle brass is length checked and inspected I load it on the Dillon 550. I clean the lube from
the loaded round by misting it with water and rolling it on a bath towel. I make my own case lube lanolin based like the Dillon
lube. Works great and super cheap. Wipes off easy. I hate the old lube pads because it is a big PIA to clean off.

I picked up a Dillon 650XL new in the box with a case feeder and a bunch of extras a couple of weeks ago. Got it setup and loaded 250 rounds of 223 in 40 minutes, Saturday.

Changed the setup to 45ACP yesterday and pushed out 100 rounds in no time flat.

I need to order more powder and bullets........:D

Prepped brass for 200 rds of Berrys THP 124gr 9mm yesterday. Will finish them up in the next few hours. I use 4.2 gr of Titegroup and 4.5 gr of Bullseye. Different guns, different preferences.

Hypothetically, if a guy loads 400 rounds on a Saturday, shoots them on Sunday, and has them reloaded Sunday night did anything really happen? Strange question that came up earlier today.

I'm calling it a day earlier than normal, my right arm is a little sore today. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top