JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last night and today, decapped 433 each 7.62mm NATO. Chemically washed, rinsed and dried. Resized, rinsed again and dried.

7.62mm NATO cases are LC 66 Match. I like the match cases because the primers weren't crimped in. These are once fired, came to me stored in a one gallon Darigold wax coated paper milk carton dated 1969. They've been stored there since then.

Most of these cases appeared to have been fired in very tight chambers. They came with some other estate sale stuff that indicated the former owner did target shooting including long distance with an "M70" which was marked on some containers. Some may have been fired in M14's.

I clean cases using different methods depending on conditions. These were pretty clean cases in general, but after being stored for 50 years, carbon deposits on the mouth of the case were pretty stubborn. I don't have the steel pin system. So I used Iosso liquid case cleaner on these after decapping. Then I bagged them about 50 to a batch in old socks, tied off. The rinse was done in my washing machine because Iosso needs very thorough rinsing to avoid spotting. Air dried on baking pans. Then re-sized with water soluble lube. Removing the case lube doesn't take much rinse, just in a Tupperware bowl in the sink. Then back in the baking pans. Tomorrow I will have 433 cases to trim.

I've got another batch from the same source. LC 71 Match, 504 each. These have already been cleaned, sized and trimmed. However, they are kinda sticky on the outside like worn-out tumbling media was used. I'm thinking I will give these a wash.

Then from the same lot of material, I have a few hundred 7.62mm NATO once fired match cases that are boxed in original cartons. I'll probably leave these as-is for now.

PR2Y2dA.jpg

Last Edited:
I used my Franklin Armoury Case Prep center to trim Federal Gold Medal .308 brass. Used my RCBS bench primer to seat the Federal match primers. Poured some Varget in there and will seat some Hornady Spire Points. I will use these to break in my Smith and Wesson MP 10.

Yeah but then you add the cost of the powder ... And bullets .. Then your time ... Even if you cast your own,bullets i still dont see,how it becomes econamical to reload 9mm ...

I reload 9mm subsonic 147s for about $110/K.

Decent accuracy, takes down steel in matches and stealthy in my suppressed guns.

You can't compare bulk pack 115s to subs $ wise.

I'm on a kick using up old lots and odd stashes of components. I've got too much stuff and am trying to get better organized and use less space. I've picked up a mish mash of components in trades and purchases of groups of items from other hand loaders (much from folks here) so have the goal of getting it all loaded up in appropriate loads and properly stored and ready to go so that when a non-shooting friend of my kids (or the like) wants to go shooting I can "grab and go" and show them a great time.

So tonight I loaded another 500 or so "Gravel Pit Garand Loads" (see post 381). I had ~3.5 pounds of old 4064 to put into use and kept loading till I ran out of powder.

Ya gotta love loading, I used 1950's brass, 1960's powder and 1970's primers to create rounds that will be fired in 1940's rifles. What other hobby lets you use old stuff and still have a great modern result?

20191015_171514.jpg

Last Edited:
I reloaded a small batch of LC .308 match brass with 147gn Winchester FMJ bullets, weighing out the bullets, Winchester LR primers, and 42.5 gns of IMR4895 powder. My M1A will shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds.

Re. my post #401, above, here is the finished product, 433 loaded rounds of 7.62mm NATO.

FJj77Rt.jpg

Military finish, not tumbled to a high gloss. These were chemically washed (not steel pins). 168 gr. Hornady HPBT bought from Midway as factory seconds. They will do just fine in AR10, M1A and M1 Rifle in .308.

Didn't find a single blemished bullet in five boxes of 100.

Specialty project. Not long back, I bought one of those kits to drill out Berdan primers to convert cases to Boxer primers. These two were a pilot project. German 7,92mm Mauser steel cases from WW2, one dated 1943, the other 1944. I fired these in the late 1960's. Most of what I convert thusly will be 8x56R Austrian and 7.5x55 Swiss.

XPnZ4kk.jpg

Ya gotta love loading, I used 1950's brass, 1960's powder and 1970's primers to create rounds that will be fired in 1940's rifles. What other hobby lets you use old stuff and still have a great modern result?

In our modern, throw-away society how many households even have any object 20 years old in them?

I rounded up all my 9mm brass to clean & de-prime. I didn't think I had so many.
Somewhere near 1000 are ready for the progressive press. Nice to have these, and others ready to load.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top