JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But most look like this ... Sorry could not get more than one photo per post.

20190718_142632.jpg

So today I had a better result. I loaded 1,000 match loads (.38 Special) and only crunched one case and had one over-flared .357 Mag case that somehow snuck in.

I did manage to miss the primer on one round! There is a lot to pay attention to with a progressive!

20190720_213216.jpg

20190720_213321.jpg

Oh, and I figured out why I could only post one picture per posting!

I have .45 ACP and 5.56 to do next.

So today I had a better result. I loaded 1,000 match loads (.38 Special) and only crunched one case and had one over-flared .357 Mag case that somehow snuck in.

I did manage to miss the primer on one round! There is a lot to pay attention to with a progressive!

View attachment 602160

View attachment 602161

Oh, and I figured out why I could only post one picture per posting!

I have .45 ACP and 5.56 to do next.

Running a progressive for the first time is a learning curve for sure. I thank god for good members here that helped walk me through it. Poor @v0lcom13sn0w spent a couple hours on the phone with me the first day.

Running a progressive for the first time is a learning curve for sure. I thank god for good members here that helped walk me through it. Poor @v0lcom13sn0w spent a couple hours on the phone with me the first day.
I've reloaded for many years on a single stage. From plinking ammo to high-grade match fare. I'm happy for the prior knowledge, it allowed me to "miss" many errors I'm sure. It also allowed me to get up and running is a pretty short order.

The amount of new "knowledge" is pretty steep. I can't imagine starting out on a progressive. I'm sure it's done, but the "pain of learning curve" must be pretty high! Not to mention that there will always be uses for a single stage press and since I started that way I have it and know how to really use it.

I know some will say you can "single load" on a progressive while learning, but there is something to taking dies in and out, adjusting the dies and cam over setting multiple times and just plain fiddling with the equipment that creates a much deeper understanding of the processes and how to really tweak performance. At least I think so.

This place does rock, there are a ton of knowledgeble and helpful folks here!

I've reloaded for many years on a single stage. From plinking ammo to high-grade match fare. I'm happy for the prior knowledge, it allowed me to "miss" many errors I'm sure. It also allowed me to get up and running is a pretty short order.

The amount of new "knowledge" is pretty steep. I can't imagine starting out on a progressive. I'm sure it's done, but the "pain of learning curve" must be pretty high! Not to mention that there will always be uses for a single stage press and since I started that way I have it and know how to really use it.

This place does rock, there are a ton of knowledgeble and helpful folks here!

Ya I just started reloading about a year ago and I learned on a progressive. It was a learning curve for sure but now I love it. For my match grade rifle rounds I basically turn it into a single stage.

250 .45ACP plinking / pin shooting rounds. I'm using up old odds and ends (pulled bullets and old primers in this case) while I continue to learn the ropes on my new progressive. I only crunched one case this time!

20190722_161537.jpg

Last Edited:
I didn't do any loading today but did go to the range for quality assurance testing. I'd made a bunch of 125gr Speer Gold Dots in 38 Special and wanted to see how they shoot. Also my new to me Sig is much more temperamental to load for than my past 9mm's. The Gold dots shot a 2" group at 10 yds out of my GP-100 so that's good enough, the Sig load is still just a hair long so will tighten that up and then see. The P-6 was designed to feed a pointy profiled bullet and I'm loading a short, fat round nose. I've got both bullets and wanted to see if I can get the RN's to shoot. It does shoot the pointy ones just fine. I'd also brought my 1911 along just because all work and no play....... Tomorrow is a load 45 Colt and 44-40 day. Both with different 200gr RNFPs. Got to keep the cowboys happy.

Yesterday and the day before, I sorted through all of my 10mm Auto brass. I separated out all the unfired brass and stored it away. That left all the cleaned, fired brass. Some of which I'd already sized; smaller number had been sized and flared. Some were just clean but unsized. Went through all of that and came out with +/- 750 sized, flared, and primed 10mm. Now I'm set with that cartridge for a while.

Day before yesterday, washed +/- 200 mixed .223's. Yesterday, sized, washed lube off and dried in sun. Last night, trimmed. Today, primed and sorted by brand, merged with their fellows. I have a pretty big bank of sized, trimmed and primed .223's.

Plan to go through all my .45 ACP's soon like I did the 10mm's.

The other day I wet tumbled 150 pieces of 38spl, 150 pieces of 357mag and a 150 pieces of 9mm brass my grandson shot the weekend before.
I got it all resized and flaredn i was going to prime it and didn't have any small pistol primers. I was down in Everett and stopped in to the Sportsmanxs Warehouse and picked some primers and got that brass primed last night.

Went to cabelas in Tulalip today and bought a carton of small pistol primers.
I we tumbled about three hundred & fifty pieces of 7.62x51 (308) brass today and a hundred pieces of 223.
Later after dinner I will go play up in the loading room.

I wanted a coupleof the six pack packages of the Hornady Lock n Load bushings. My luck they were out of them. They don't stock much since bASS pro bought them out.

I will check out Sportsmans Warehouse friday evening when I go to Everett.

The new seating plug for the 9mm Speer bullets RCBS sent me works like a charm.
I also grabbed a new Hornady seating die to try out with XTP & HAP rounds - this worked out perfectly as well.
500 total today... Pretty sure they'll all be down range by tomorrow noon...

555396-4eb7cd6bf2328fc640f24b833462805c.jpg

Played with my new Lyman Case Trim Express this evening. I ran about 200 .30-06 through it with great success. After a bit of fiddeling to get it set I was able to keep all cases within and easy half-thousandth at the rate of about one case every 5-6 seconds.

I was perplexed at first. The adjusting barrel threads are very tight about the middle of the range. I had the cutter backed off to what I though was a hard stop and the necks where a full 1/10 inch short! After looking closely at everything and "gasp" reading the instructions I realized there was a lot more adjustment range. So I cranked the adjusting barrel back and forth over the full range of motion a couple of time (use a few drops of oil too). It took most of my grip strength to move it over the center of the range the first few times. But is has smoothed up nicely now, is accurate and I really like the rate of production.

I have about 2,000 "06 cases to do and I was not about to do them with my old Lyman Universal Trimmer, even with the power adapter the thought of that is insane. Even with this new trimmer it will be a chore, but much more palatable now.

Last Edited:
Last weekend, I bought some cartridge brass that came out of an estate sale. I got 700 once-fired .30-06 cases, mostly WRA 53 but here is the good part. About 500 of them had been prepped years before by a serious long range shooter. Cleaned, sized, trimmed (YAY!), primer pocket swaged and cleaned. All in original paper 20 round boxes. I figured all that labor was easily worth 10 cents each that I paid. Then there were the remainder, about 200, that were once fired but never touched. So over the past few days, I've cleaned (with Iosso liquid case cleaner), rinsed, sized, rinsed, annealed, and trimmed. I've found that the primer pockets didn't need swaging. There were a couple of odd boxes of LC 63's that did require swaging the pockets.

Also, I got about 500 7.62mm NATO once fired cases, match grade in their original paper match boxes. These are untouched, need prepping.

The fired cases came in these two interesting crates:

8HvatNV.jpg

emp8BgM.jpg

54g5Lq3.jpg

URiPtqY.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR