JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What is your full house load weight and speed? Jacket of course.
I don't load many full house type loads. Shot some factory 240 grain JSP ammo in my Henry single shot 44. Didn't chrono it though.

I'd look in a reloading manual for rifle data, with a slower powder (maybe something like H110/ win 296) for where to start for a full house jacketed load. In my manuals, looks to be around 1,600-1,700 FPS for a 240 grain jacketed bullet and mid-high end of recommended charge of 110/296 from a rifle length barrel.

What is your full house load weight and speed? Jacket of course.
I load 44 mag for S&W Model 29's and a Marlin 1894. My full-power loads are on the upper edge of what's safe and sane for a vintage Model 29. I rarely use jacketed bullets because, done right, a cast bullet with a gas check can be driven just as hard as jacketed in a .44 rifle.

A few years ago I worked up a load I liked for the Marlin. It's a cast, powder-coated, gas-checked 429244 (IIRC sized to .431" for the oversized Marlin barrel) with a near maximum charge of H110.

I tried a 429421 powder-coated, no gas check, but accuracy in the rifle wasn't as good.

Oh yeah, weight and speed- both bullets cast at about 250 grains, and around 1650fps out of the rifle barrel, as I recall.

Working up some 22 tcm today. 35gr vmax with tcm powder. Hopefully can work up a good load for the 1911

20231201_110124.jpg

.017" over? That's not much. Have you ever made a "Dummy Round" and chambered it to see what bullet jump to the lands YOUR OAL is getting?

Maybe I should try that just for gits and shiggles?
More concerned about them possibly hanging up in P-Mags
Finished up the last of the box of 500 124g Berrys plated 9mm bullets tonight (68) in no time flat.
Sounds like you are "progressing" nicely. ;)

I'm finishing up 1000 357 Sig then will do a quick change over to make 2000 40 S&W. Same shell plate and powder. So change out the dies, adjust the powder measure and go.

I'm finishing up 1000 357 Sig then will do a quick change over to make 2000 40 S&W. Same shell plate and powder. So change out the dies, adjust the powder measure and go.
That's what I'm liking about this AP press, the ease of changing calibers.
I just got a package that had 10 die bushings, 40 S&W and a 223 shell plates. I also ordered a few sets of Sure-Lock lock rings and a set of Hornady Custom Grade dies in 40 S&W since the Lee set only has a powder thru expander.

Last Edited:
More concerned about them possibly hanging up in P-Mags
Going with what I've heard/read regarding OAL with .223-5.56, I'm under the impression that as long as the completed rounds fit/function in the mags that there will be no issue with the bullet being into the barrel lands?
I should make a dummy round and see just how far off the lands I am with mine. Just for the heck of it.

Going with what I've heard/read regarding OAL with .223-5.56, I'm under the impression that as long as the completed rounds fit/function in the mags that there will be no issue with the bullet being into the barrel lands?
I should make a dummy round and see just how far off the lands I am with mine. Just for the heck of it.
This right here is what I've been what doing for years and what I have found is that each rifle chamber is different. A 2.240" OAL may shoot really good groups in one rifle but in my other rifle 2.250" is the cat's meow. Case in point…

Find a good recipe for cases, primers, powder and bullets then play with the OAL to fine tune it.

117548CA-ADF7-44AF-9A3D-CDF3C5D6B217.jpeg

WATCH OUT Y'all….
First bullet mold…. 1oz 12g slugs
Hehehehe

Is it a necessity to "soot" the mold before each pour? Instructions state preheat and match burn.

IMG_6131.jpeg

Edit….. not bad for quick little backyard experiment run. Yup my balls are wrinkly IMG_6132.jpeg

Edit….. first live slug. Happy boy IMG_6133.jpeg

Last Edited:
WATCH OUT Y'all….
First bullet mold…. 1oz 12g slugs
Hehehehe

Is it a necessity to "soot" the mold before each pour? Instructions state preheat and match burn.

View attachment 1775288

Edit….. not bad for quick little backyard experiment run. Yup my balls are wrinkly View attachment 1775320
Your not alone pal! I just hope your fence is tall enough when you have 'em out in the open. ;)

Just finishing up the 380acp show stock. Fussy little cartridge and those plated round nose bullets are hard to hang on to with my 3X sized fingers. I took my time to get everything set just right now slow and steady wins the game.

Awaiting the arrival of more Hornady AP accessories, still a lot less than outfitting a Dillon, IMHO.
I've got 900+ 175g silvertip HP bullets that I pulled from some 10mm reloads last year that I plan to load for the fotey (40S&W)…

"Well, I don't know, but I've been told
You never slow down, you never grow old"

7478217E-99FA-4B7C-AC5B-D0FA79491AFF.png

Awaiting the arrival of more Hornady AP accessories, still a lot less than outfitting a Dillon, IMHO.
I've got 900+ 175g silvertip HP bullets that I pulled from some 10mm reloads last year that I plan to load for the fotey (40S&W)…

"Well, I don't know, but I've been told
You never slow down, you never grow old"

View attachment 1777008
I think that's "Foteh"? Innit? :D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors February Gun Show
Portland, OR
Central Oregon Sportsmen's show
Redmond, OR
Rickreall Gun Show
Rickreall, OR

New Resource Reviews