JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last Edited:
What? No mushrooms? :s0092:
I'll respond to this……
As valuable as mushrooms are… low cost, easy to grow and packed with nutrition.. forgeable…. raw,dried, cooked……. I Can't Stand Them!

Ideal zombie world food… but no. I pray for an acquired taste though.

Question Jim - Your Dillon Swage is mounted to a board which is mounted to the Inline Fabrication quick change plate. Is the plate orientation side to side or front to back for the IF plate screw holes?
I bought a blank quick change plate for this application, at the time I believe it was a blem for $12-$14. I drilled holes to fit the wood piece at an angle for the plastic tub to fit on my bench.

BB147855-7545-479D-BDD1-FBCD17C14CEE.jpeg

Sooooo

Forgot to loctite the screw I removed to replace handgaurd on Henry and got all jammed up…. I was afraid I broke it already until I saw the "lever group?" Hanging out a little and super loose screw……feeeew. All better…

Question though for the hand loads.
.44 cal 200grn flat nose plated A2400 powder
Ladder crono FPS from 1450s up into and ending 1880s w/ 22 grn of powder.

No pressure data available in my book..

Primer getting flatter but no case fatigue visible. Just the fastest I've made.

That's when I began having cycling issues… I feel better about what was really going on with loose screw but still nervous about what pressures I can be safe with in the Henry or .44mag.

Lyman 50th

Loading book sends 200 grn projectiles up to 2160s fps. So I'd imagine I'm safe for a minute. No pressure data on these higher end loads.

Just feeling you pros out on this. I don't really have a need for super fast stuff anyway.

That's something I didn't consider…..Ooops?
What can happen?

Purchased from private seller…. I don't even have the original packaging.
You'd have to know the brand of plated bullet to be sure. The only thing I run plated in is .45acp. Bought a bunch of Rainier Ballistics 200gr years ago. That caliber only runs up in the 800-900 range. As I recall THOSE were good to 1200 or so.
Berry's has a couple different type bullets.
Info: https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq
Says 1500fps for their THICK plated.

I'm not sure what other plated bullets are out there. But I'd guess that 1200fps is pretty standard.

Something else to consider is some powders need more powder in the cartridge to burn correctly. So lowering 2400 to a level below recommendation may cause uneven/incomplete burn. I'm a wuss when it come to recoil so don't care to do the magnum stuff. Or subject my guns to the extra beating from full power loads.

As far as what can happen from exceeding plated bullet's top velocity recommendations? As far as I know, all that can happen is the bullet shedding the plating. With lousy accuracy. I suppose you might get excess copper fouling too if the plating is coming off in the barrel.

Sooooo

Forgot to loctite the screw I removed to replace handgaurd on Henry and got all jammed up…. I was afraid I broke it already until I saw the "lever group?" Hanging out a little and super loose screw……feeeew. All better…

Question though for the hand loads.
.44 cal 200grn flat nose plated A2400 powder
Ladder crono FPS from 1450s up into and ending 1880s w/ 22 grn of powder.

No pressure data available in my book..

Primer getting flatter but no case fatigue visible. Just the fastest I've made.

That's when I began having cycling issues… I feel better about what was really going on with loose screw but still nervous about what pressures I can be safe with in the Henry or .44mag.

Lyman 50th

Loading book sends 200 grn projectiles up to 2160s fps. So I'd imagine I'm safe for a minute. No pressure data on these higher end loads.

Just feeling you pros out on this. I don't really have a need for super fast stuff anyway.
What manufacturer's plated 200 grain bullet are you using? Approaching 2,000 FPS sounds like you are pushing a plated bullet faster than most manufacturer's recommend from what I recall.

You noted cycling issues on the hotter loads from your ladder. What specific issues? More difficult to extract fired round? Chamber the next? Something else?

I mostly load plinking rounds for my 44 mag and 45 Colt rifles. From about 1,000 FPS to around 1,350 FPS. I have shot some full house 44 magnum loads in the rifles, just not with plated bullets. I shoot jacketed for the hotter loads. In my experience, plated bullets I've used are made from pretty soft lead; I don't push them too hard.

Loaded some 38 special tonight. 125 grain plated Xtreme flat points over bullseye. A nice plinking load that I enjoy on silhouettes with my single shot Henry rifle.

IMG_4922.jpeg IMG_4924.jpeg

I prepped and primed 200 .223 cases to add to my stash of plinking/training ammo of about 600 rounds. But when I measured one of the already loaded rounds, it measured 2.267"! 🤬
Checking others confirmed they are all over length and Lee factory crimped in the Wolf 55 gr FMJBT cannelure. I loaded these a while back and apparently just seated the bullets to the cannelure and failed to check the overall length. So, not only do I get to charge and seat bullets on my 200 prepped primed cases, but get to seat slightly deeper the 600 hundred or so loaded rounds, and probably re-crimp them, too. :confused:

I prepped and primed 200 .223 cases to add to my stash of plinking/training ammo of about 600 rounds. But when I measured one of the already loaded rounds, it measured 2.267"! 🤬
Checking others confirmed they are all over length and Lee factory crimped in the Wolf 55 gr FMJBT cannelure. I loaded these a while back and apparently just seated the bullets to the cannelure and failed to check the overall length. So, not only do I get to charge and seat bullets on my 200 prepped primed cases, but get to seat slightly deeper the 600 hundred or so loaded rounds, and probably re-crimp them, too. :confused:
Do they fit in the magazine? If they do I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Do they fit in the magazine? If they do I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Too close for comfort. Just finished seating to 2.25" and re-crimping. Charging and seating bullets in the next 200 can wait until tomorrow. Oh, and there were "only" 500 rounds that needed to be seated deeper and re-crimped.

What manufacturer's plated 200 grain bullet are you using? Approaching 2,000 FPS sounds like you are pushing a plated bullet faster than most manufacturer's recommend from what I recall.

You noted cycling issues on the hotter loads from your ladder. What specific issues? More difficult to extract fired round? Chamber the next? Something else?

I mostly load plinking rounds for my 44 mag and 45 Colt rifles. From about 1,000 FPS to around 1,350 FPS. I have shot some full house 44 magnum loads in the rifles, just not with plated bullets. I shoot jacketed for the hotter loads. In my experience, plated bullets I've used are made from pretty soft lead; I don't push them too hard.
I figured my cycling issue was from a loose screw on bottom of action. …. Double feed kinda. Live round stuck under lifter and wouldn't slide back into tube. Got it (round)out at home and tried snap caps… still double feed but found bottom screw in action walking out. I had removed it and reinstalled to replace hand gaurd. Didn't reapply lock tite.

I didn't think about limitations of plated bullets… lesson learned from y'all here…..thank you all?

Was just curious about the safety limits of these rifles. I want to tinker around and see how fast I can go safely without knowing gas pressure of loads…. Probably not wise but there has to be a normal fast full house with A2400 powder.

All is good, thank you.

What is your full house load weight and speed? Jacket of course.

Too close for comfort. Just finished seating to 2.25" and re-crimping. Charging and seating bullets in the next 200 can wait until tomorrow. Oh, and there were "only" 500 rounds that needed to be seated deeper and re-crimped.
.017" over? That's not much. Have you ever made a "Dummy Round" and chambered it to see what bullet jump to the lands YOUR OAL is getting?

Maybe I should try that just for gits and shiggles?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors February Gun Show
Portland, OR
Central Oregon Sportsmen's show
Redmond, OR
Rickreall Gun Show
Rickreall, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top