JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmmm, just to let you know that I fired off forty of the .45-70Govt this morning. I use a blow-tube down the bore after every shot, too, and it seems to keep the crud nice and soft.

Providing I remember to blow and not suck, that is.

No, the greenie upper right.. and I forgot, not a lubrimatic, an rcbs lubrisizer..

It appears to be a small RCBS press. I believe that the old gentleman used this for his 30 carbine addiction, there was A LOT in this lot.:s0116:

I'd not seen one this tiny before..:s0112::s0112::s0112:

EAB8A889-97FA-4061-BD70-A3603DFCAB18.jpeg

Last Edited:
Frustrating day:
Just finished resizing 250 30/30 cases & 100 308.
Was going to soft load them with plated lead & Universal (similar to Unique, meters better). Couldn't find my drop tube adapters for the Lyman 55, so ordered a replacement set. While starting into the 100 7mm-08, noted i needed a new deprime pin on my Redding dies. While digging for that, found the drop tube adapters..... Arghhh.
Pulled out the Lead pot to cast some 135gr 7mm, and it kept tripping the GFCI. Grrrrr.

I do agree that those days are very frustrating and I seem to be having more of them.
I figured that building a dedicated space just for this craft (it ain't no hobby) and putting everything into it I would be able to keep track of things a lot better, I need lanyards on everything!!!:eek:

Try replacing that GFCI or the breaker.;)

I do agree that those days are very frustrating and I seem to be having more of them.
I figured that building a dedicated space just for this craft (it ain't no hobby) and putting everything into it I would be able to keep track of things a lot better, I need lanyards on everything!!!:eek:

Try replacing that GFCI or the breaker.;)
Yeah, replaced the GFI, and the problem is the pot or something else in the circuit in combination with the load of the pot.
Prefer this one because it's a bottom pouir. Guess I'll pull out the Lee.

From Alliant 1995 manual:

My load was 13.5 gr. of 2400, half a grain over the Alliant recommendation but well under John Taffin's 18.0 gr. I wasn't happy with the load because about every third round let off a big fireball, which the other 2/3 did not. Each charge was hand-weighed. Modern Starline brass was used. Possible position sensitivity. So I won't be going back to 2400 for this one.

just shared the history of the cartridge, the guns and a partridge in a pear tree.

The reason for the "partridge in a pear tree" was because not everyone reading these posts is a know-it-all. .38-40 isn't the most common cartridge out there. There is a wide range of skill and knowledge levels from one hand loader to another. I'd like to keep someone who doesn't know everything from blowing up himself or a Colt SAA or whatever with misapplied information.

My load was 13.5 gr. of 2400, half a grain over the Alliant recommendation but well under John Taffin's 18.0 gr. I wasn't happy with the load because about every third round let off a big fireball, which the other 2/3 did not. Each charge was hand-weighed. Modern Starline brass was used. Possible position sensitivity. So I won't be going back to 2400 for this one.

The reason for the "partridge in a pear tree" was because not everyone reading these posts is a know-it-all. .38-40 isn't the most common cartridge out there. There is a wide range of skill and knowledge levels from one hand loader to another. I'd like to keep someone who doesn't know everything from blowing up himself or a Colt SAA or whatever with misapplied information.
I've loaded 45ACP and 44 Magnum with 2400. It makes an impressive fireball (as compared to muzzle flash).

I've loaded 45ACP and 44 Magnum with 2400. It makes an impressive fireball (as compared to muzzle flash).

I've used 2400 in .41 Mag with no issues. The fireball you can live with if it's consistent with every shot. To have it one shot and not the next, not so much. According to some people, 2400 isn't supposed to be overly position sensitive. I wasn't running this batch over my chrono but I believe if I had the SD would've been huge. I suspect that powder position might be the cause of my experience with it in .38-40. Which like some other, older revolver cartridges has a case that allows for a lot of air space. Or not. But I know other powders will work better for my purposes. You learn through experimentation. After all, it's a hobby, not a living.

I've also used 2400 in reduced charge centerfire rifle loads, worked well with cast bullets.

That's a good thing right? That way you don't need a flashlight!

Long ago I had an acquaintance who lived in a trailer park. This was at the time of the first Watts Riot in '65, he was fearful so he made up a night-fighting rifle. It was an 1891 Argentine Mauser rifle with a flashlight fastened to the muzzle with electrician's tape. He was way ahead of his time for accessorized rifles.

Last Edited:
Deprimed about 300) 30 carbine cases, some had live primers, then threw em in the waxed corn cob tumbler for a few hours.;)

7C95DD57-0EA2-4BD3-B88B-9D489A53898B.jpeg

Judging on whether or not to keep the 300 cases, 300 110g RN plated bullets, powder & a complete set of dies + 250 loaded rounds that will need pulled down......
Decisions decisions decisions.....
Dayummm I'd probably have to buy a damn gun to shoot em though...:eek::eek::eek: Karapppppp.:oops:

+1 for pet stores. It's the same corn cob or walnut the gun brands sell for far less money.

If you want "treated" media then pick up a small block of jewellers rouge from online or a craft store. Take the back of a knife and scrape some into the media, run it for a couple of minutes to disperse.

You are now good to go!

Deprimed about 300) 30 carbine cases, some had live primers, then threw em in the waxed corn cob tumbler for a few hours.;)

View attachment 631053

Judging on whether or not to keep the 300 cases, 300 110g RN plated bullets, powder & a complete set of dies + 250 loaded rounds that will need pulled down......
Decisions decisions decisions.....
Dayummm I'd probably have to buy a damn gun to shoot em though...:eek::eek::eek: Karapppppp.:oops:

You won't be disappointed Jim.

:rolleyes:

I'd let you shoot mine ifin' you ever got down this way. It's been a great gun. It doesn't get inside you and speak like an original WWII, or Korean war version, but it's been flawless.

:(:mad:
You won't be disappointed Jim.

:rolleyes:

I'd let you shoot mine ifin' you ever got down this way. It's been a great gun. It doesn't get inside you and speak like an original WWII, or Korean war version, but it's been flawless.

I'll definitely keep that in mind Mike Ifn I ever get down there. ;)
It seems that I'm rarely down that way anymore.:(

300 110g RN plated bullets
I use those exact ones for my "arthritis load" in 308 and 30-30 for my brother. My son loves them too.
Depending on the load, 1,500-1,700 FPS MV. Recoil of a 22LR, probably quieter....
Look up "unique 308 soft loads". I use Universal interchangeably. 308 is ~11-14gr powder. For 30-30, you use ~8gr.
Mine turn out to cost 10¢ per round, loaded, excluding my time. Were I to include my time, it would cost $1.15/round. To see the smile on my brother's face, and that he can shoot 50 in a sitting (rather than only two or three), they're priceless.

:(:mad:

I'll definitely keep that in mind Mike Ifn I ever get down there. ;)
It seems that I'm rarely down that way anymore.:(

And that's a sad thing? :confused:

Maybe one day I, and Wifey, would take a road trip up your way. We like to do that stuff once in a while. Hit the road North/Northwest. Find a cheap motel for a night somewhere. Get some oysters. Act like tourists, then head back home.

Do you need a care package tac???
I use Jasmine rice for a good scrubbing then into the corncob media w/wax for a good shine.;)

Long grain would probably work too? It's cheaper, like me. :D I like shiny brass.

And that's a sad thing? :confused:

Maybe one day I, and Wifey, would take a road trip up your way. We like to do that stuff once in a while. Hit the road North/Northwest. Find a cheap motel for a night somewhere. Get some oysters. Act like tourists, then head back home.

We did the same thing years ago, what fun it was to be spontaneous!!!:)

Long grain would probably work too? It's cheaper, like me. :D I like shiny brass.

From my research, Jasmine is the hardest rice it there so it's good for maximum scrubbing action.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top