JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm finally down to 50 rounds of .38 special after last years '.38-apaloza x 2 because I shot so darn many .38 and .357 and .351 Win last year. I started casting and powdercoating about 3 years ago? Made me like pulling the trigger even more, which I didn't think possible. I just finished up 750 .357 mag and now the 1000 round .38-apaloza for winter 2019 is on! After this I will dink around with about 150 .38 shot cartridges and then replenish the .351sl supply. After that maybe some .300sav. Still scratching my noggin over why my Rem M81 likes reformed and cut down 7.62x51 brass over .300 sav brass or reformed and cut .308 brass. 7.62x51 reformed never stovepipes but both.300 sav and .308 doo_O. All goes through the same dies so go figure? At any rate it's all about .38 in now through the end of November.

Does a loading manual have data using 2400 in a .38-40? or are you loading it to .357 magnum levels?

Let me start this reply by saying, .38-40 or .38 WCF is an old cartridge and over the years, many different firearms were designed to use it. Handguns and rifles. Close attention has to be paid to how reloads are put together in view of the wide variety and relative strength of possible firearms used.

Yes, there is loading manual data calling for 2400 in .38-40. Old manuals. And, do you plan to use it in a rifle or a handgun? If the latter, what kind? My only .38-40 is a modern Ruger that can handle sensible loads for rifle or handgun.

There is an article available online, look up "Taffin Tests 38-40." John Taffin loaded 18.0 gr. of 2400 with jacketed bullets and used that load in his Buckeye Special Ruger. The load I used was less than that, I don't like to start high but in any case I didn't want to go 18.0 gr. My bbl. is six inches, about like Taffin's Ruger. Could be 2400 is more uniform at max loads in .38-40 but I'm not going there. Probably a better load in rifle, too.

The .38-40 takes a .40 bullet. The 357 Magnum presents no utility when it comes to seeking data for .38-40. Powders I like for .38-40 are Unique and Trail Boss. Also VV N32C ("Tin Star") which I've used with success with cast bullets.

I think "back in the day" most if not all revolver loads for .38-40 were cast lead. When they came out with a line of high velocity ammo for rifles, that's when jacketed bullets came into use. My feeling is, with a modern revolver like the Ruger, if you want to, it's perfectly fine to go with jacketed bullets and their advantages.

I didn't reload anything but I did score on a reloading lot this weekend...

Going through it has taken up a lot of my time since Sunday afternoon....:D

76909871-B798-4F4B-922D-4A7E250AF042.jpeg

Let me start this reply by saying, .38-40 or .38 WCF is an old cartridge and over the years, many different firearms were designed to use it. Handguns and rifles. Close attention has to be paid to how reloads are put together in view of the wide variety and relative strength of possible firearms used.

Yes, there is loading manual data calling for 2400 in .38-40. Old manuals. And, do you plan to use it in a rifle or a handgun? If the latter, what kind? My only .38-40 is a modern Ruger that can handle sensible loads for rifle or handgun.

There is an article available online, look up "Taffin Tests 38-40." John Taffin loaded 18.0 gr. of 2400 with jacketed bullets and used that load in his Buckeye Special Ruger. The load I used was less than that, I don't like to start high but in any case I didn't want to go 18.0 gr. My bbl. is six inches, about like Taffin's Ruger. Could be 2400 is more uniform at max loads in .38-40 but I'm not going there. Probably a better load in rifle, too.

The .38-40 takes a .40 bullet. The 357 Magnum presents no utility when it comes to seeking data for .38-40. Powders I like for .38-40 are Unique and Trail Boss. Also VV N32C ("Tin Star") which I've used with success with cast bullets.

I think "back in the day" most if not all revolver loads for .38-40 were cast lead. When they came out with a line of high velocity ammo for rifles, that's when jacketed bullets came into use. My feeling is, with a modern revolver like the Ruger, if you want to, it's perfectly fine to go with jacketed bullets and their advantages.
Yea I know. 2400 is designed and recommended for high pressures, particularly in handgun cartridges. I would expect it to perform poorly at best if used otherwise.

Working on loading some .38-40 (.38 WCF). Brass is ready. I think this time around I'll load them all with jacketed bullets since I'm shooting them in a modern Ruger. I have a cannelure rolling tool, can use ordinary .40 jacketed bullets.

My last test batch of jacketed .38-40 was loaded with 2400 powder. I found the ignition to be erratic. This time, I'll probably use VV 3N37.
Does a loading manual have data using 2400 in a .38-40? or are you loading it to .357 magnum levels?
From Alliant 1995 manual:

PistolPage.png

Frustrating day:
Just finished resizing 250 30/30 cases & 100 308.
Was going to soft load them with plated lead & Universal (similar to Unique, meters better). Couldn't find my drop tube adapters for the Lyman 55, so ordered a replacement set. While starting into the 100 7mm-08, noted i needed a new deprime pin on my Redding dies. While digging for that, found the drop tube adapters..... Arghhh.
Pulled out the Lead pot to cast some 135gr 7mm, and it kept tripping the GFCI. Grrrrr.

Last Edited:
Frustrating day:
Just finished resizing 250 30/30 cases & 100 308.
Was going to soft load them with plated lead & Universal (similar to Unique, meters better). Couldn't find my drop tube adapters for the Lyman 55, so ordered a replacement set. While starting into the 100 7mm-08, noted i needed a new deprime pin on my Redding dies. While digging for that, found the drop tube adapters..... Arghhh.
Pulled out the Lead pot to cast some 135gr 7mm, and it kept tripping the GFCI. Grrrrr.
Oh that sounds frustrating. Especially the GFCI at the end. A little salt in the wound:confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top