JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the review and hey, I was just trying to amortize your purchase so you could buy more components! LOL

I have a strong suspicion that one of those will be in my future.

Stomp-I have little need to anneal brass in quantity large enough to justify purchasing one. But after seeing that vid (Sang along too. KR is great!), I want to buy one anyways!

Did 35 rounds of .275 last nite. This will be the 6th firing of this lot of brass in a sloppy chamber (Neck in chamber is huge).

Original lot of powder ran out.

Have another couple pounds of 760 and some new brass. Might have to make a run to the benchrest and see where we need to be for the new components. Get dialed in and go from there.

My goal is to burn barrel out in 3-4 years.

Out of curiosity how did you measure the temp of the brass?

I didn't measure the temp, I watched a ton of YouTube videos on the subject. Some they "eyeballed" it, others used Tempilaq & just about 3 seconds (on 223/556 brass anyway) in the flame was the common conclusion.

The critical thing is to NOT over-fire the brass or you'll burn off different components comprising the brass alloy, which of course changes its compositional properties and will weaken it.

:s0155:

Re. temp of annealed brass. If it even starts to glow orange on an edge at the mouth of the case, it's getting too hot. I want the color to creep back behind the shoulder without any glow. Some makes of brass don't show much color, makes it more difficult. The trick is exposure time to the flame and distance from the flame. I've done it by hand for years and initially it takes some practice to get it right. I use a propane torch, hold the case in my hand and keep it turning for an even exposure to the flame. These days, I wear nitrile gloves. There is argument as to whether quenching in water is necessary. Metallurgists say no, brass isn't like steel. But there could be other reasons for quenching, like you can handle it right away after. Mostly, I've done mine without quenching. I've done a few batches with quenching to see if it made any difference. It made none that I could discern.

I didn't technically reload anything today but I did..

Size (280) 204 Ruger brass
Primed (280) 204 Ruger brass, (200) 6.5 brass, (100) 6.8 brass

Need to start pouring some powder I guess. :)

Loaded 25 rounds of 26 nosler, 25 rounds of 257 weatherby, 45 rounds of 308 and 15 rounds of 280 rem and also did some brass prep. Going to go out tomorrow and see what hand loads shoot the best for hunting.

fullsizeoutput_2ef.jpeg

Got my 6.5 brass loaded up today and started on the .204 so.....

(199) 6.5 CM
(12) 204 Ruger

1K .308, Starline cases, CCI primers, Varget powder, 168 Gr. Nosler BTHP Match. Next will the .45s, which I am really behind on. Need a few K of plinking rounds and I really need to make up another 4K of defense rounds, to put in storage. I thought that I would gain a bit of time by going to a Dillon XL650 press, from the Rockchucker but no, for some reason I'm always behind. Go figure.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top