JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those codes on the crates, TAEGA and TAEHB, were part of an identification system for ammunition items. This system was called the Ammunition Identification Code (AIC) and was used from about 1948 to 1958. Similar letter codes were assigned to every ammunition type in the inventory. Small arms, artillery, mortar, grenades, pyrotechnics, etc. TAEGA is fairly commonly seen because so much .30 Ball ammo packed on en bloc clips for M1 Rifles was produced. Containers were typically marked with specific contents information so it seems like the AIC code was a kind of shorthand for quick ID of materials.

Link to ammunition codes: List of U.S. Army munitions by supply catalog designation - Wikipedia

The AIC was replaced by the Federal Stock Number system, which in turn matured into the National Stock Number system. This crate has an FSN on it as well as an AIC code which dates it to around 1958-60, as a guess.

Link to information on the historic development of supply code systems but also has data on NATO standard markings: NATO Stock Number - Wikipedia

The TAEGA box also had the following notation on the other side:

ZWxD16n.jpg

Which shows that the ammo was furnished to the Washington National Guard. The USPFO (United States Property and Fiscal Office) oversees federal finance and logistical support that flows to the National Guard organization of a given state. There is a USPFO for every state and territory. The old address says, "5114 Steilacoom SW, Lakeview, Wash." Which is now in Lakewood, Wash. The USPFO for Wash. is no longer there. The current one is in a warehouse at Camp Murray. Note the stencil incorrectly says, "UPS&FO." They reversed the S and P. When I was in the NG Technician system, we never used the ampersand in the abbreviation.

Last Edited:
I finished off 1100 115g 9mm HAP rounds, final prep on 300 .223 casings complete, both presses & benches lubed & cleaned, with all tools & misc dies stashed & stowed. No more reloading this weekend, but I do plan to burn through some q-tips & alcohol and clean my heaviest used dies. Happy to have a clean bench and everything back in place for the next session.

Technically I loaded this ammo yesterday but wanted to include some targets. I struggle with pulling shots when I get excited. Still a nice 5-shot group.

Cartridge - .308 Win.
Bullet - 175 SMK
Powder - Varget
Primer - CCI BR
COAL - 2.835
Case - Hornady
Avg. Muzzle velocity - 2688 (10 shots)

Went out to verify my dope to 500 meters so I can hopefully compete in a PRS match soon.

20190816_141617.jpg

Last Edited:
I haven't reloaded today yet BUT! I got a new single stage press kit to do rifle on and save my turret press for pistol. So I will be reloading soon to break it in.
22877.jpeg

Tried out the press and ran 60 7mag brass through its sizer dies. Man I didn't realize how loose my turret press was. I ruined 7 cases. Not really thrilled with the lock n load collars they dont really lock so if you try to loosen the die collar it does the other on too. And the primers get stuck next to priming arm sometimes and the ram wont go all the way down. Learning curve folks lol.
20190818_141617.jpg

Tried out the press and ran 60 7mag brass through its sizer dies. Man I didn't realize how loose my turret press was. I ruined 7 cases. Not really thrilled with the lock n load collars they dont really lock so if you try to loosen the die collar it does the other on too. And the primers get stuck next to priming arm sometimes and the ram wont go all the way down. Learning curve folks lol.
View attachment 609518
Out of curiosity are you saying when you loosen the die depth adjustment nut the cam lock rotates a quarter turn before hitting the backside of the lugs? I only ask because I have been very happy with mine.

Only trouble I have is when I use my RCBS collet bullet puller the LNL bushing does unlock everytime when loosening the collet.

Out of curiosity are you saying when you loosen the die depth adjustment nut the cam lock rotates a quarter turn before hitting the backside of the lugs? I only ask because I have been very happy with mine.

Only trouble I have is when I use my RCBS collet bullet puller the LNL bushing does unlock everytime when loosening the collet.
Yes. Your right it might stop after a 1/4 turn but I'm afraid it it get stuck

Technically I loaded this ammo yesterday but wanted to include some targets. I struggle with pulling shots when I get excited. Still a nice 5-shot group.

Cartridge - .308 Win.
Bullet - 175 SMK
Powder - Varget
Primer - CCI BR
COAL - 2.835
Case - Hornady
Avg. Muzzle velocity - 2688 (10 shots)

Went out to verify my dope to 500 meters so I can hopefully compete in a PRS match soon.

View attachment 609111
Good luck with your PRS match man. Remember keep them in the orange...:cool:
uL2grub.jpg
bZuVFqr.jpg
T1Y8Ldo.jpg
lz3Wibp.jpg

Last Edited:
I loaded up 275x 308 with nosler 175gr RDFs. I must say I am really digging these RDFs.

Tomorrow night I will be loading up 500x hornady 52gr ELD Match 223s for the wife and kids to shoot. Well after i get the scope all dialed in that is.

I sized 100 308 cases. This was my first time reloading brass that primers didn't fit without work lol guess I'll need something to make it so I can seat primers.

I sized 100 308 cases. This was my first time reloading brass that primers didn't fit without work lol guess I'll need something to make it so I can seat primers.
I use the RCBS deburring tool to ream out the crimps. Got the idea online somewhere when I was looking at how to remove crimps the cheap and easy way. Seems to work really well and only takes a few twists. Haven't had any leaking primers yet but it's something you gotta be careful of that's for sure... I will use that as needed until I can get a swaggimg die for both the 223 and 308.

James

I use the RCBS deburring tool to ream out the crimps. ...

I removed crimps this way for a long time, until I could afford dedicated primer pocket tools. It works. I found that a three jaw drill chuck could just fit around the pin on the outside turning side thereby motorizing the process. You don't need to grab much of the pin or use much force since you are so lightly pressing the case against the cutter.

I highly recommend getting the proper tools (have both the RCBS press mounted swager and the Dillon 600) , but this works in a pinch.

I've been looking at all the offerings out there and this seems to be the best value available. Did it work as advertised? Ever think about renting out the unit on a daily basis? :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top