JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Found some fresh powder.
Sealed.
It was kind of expensive.

20220514_142554.jpg 20220514_142546.jpg 20220514_142519.jpg

RE : Post #3,086

Many times I thought about that solution. BUT.....that was one of the reasons for going "Progressive" with the Lee M1000.

The Dillon has been put on the back burner ever since I got the three M1000s in calibers.....

.45 ACP
.38 special/.357 mag
and 9mm

I just change out the machine on the bench. Leaving me with little to no "tweeking" with settings or the powder measure.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....loading the primer tube on the Dillon is a PIA.

I get ya'. Just having some fun. Maybe I have convinced myself that single stage is the only way to go because I don't have the mental capacity to tweak all the settings that go into setting up a progressive properly? It's possible, but I think I would still feel better hand priming. I know, priming on a press is like having to wear a condom, because, well you know what they say?

RE : Post #3,088

Yeah.....I actually do my rifle cartridges (bottle-necked cartridges) on the single stage. IMHO.....there are just too many individual steps that I need to attend to.

But yeah.....a hand primer tool is very useful.

Aloha, Mark

My aching hands will not let me use one of those hand primer tools and I will not prime on a press so I got an ASP bench mount primer tool that is the cats meow in Ole caveman's room.

68ADEA13-D2CD-40B7-9614-7BF64D71768A.jpeg

There's a song about it out there, It's so easy, it's so easy yeah yeah, it's so easy.

RE : Post #3,090

When that RCBS primer machine using those strips first came out, I also considered it. For a brief period.

Then.....
I was questioning?
The extra cost involved?
The extra hassle of reloading the strips, etc.....

BUT......I get what you say about aching hands.

Aloha, Mark

My aching hands will not let me use one of those hand primer tools and I will not prime on a press so I got an ASP bench mount primer tool that is the cats meow in Ole caveman's room.

View attachment 1199614

There's a song about it out there, It's so easy, it's so easy yeah yeah, it's so easy.

Good deal you can get something that works for you. M hand squeezing's the hand primer is still fine. Thankfully. I spent close to 35 years doing a LOT of pruning and trimming with that right hand. So far, all I wore out was wrist joint, and the shots once a year or so work pretty good.

Since I started doing rifle and all the different things you don't need to do with pistol I HAD to dump that little lousy "Dewey" primer pocket cleaner. My hands/fingers aren't as bad as yours, and a person still needs to stay nimble by using them, but that thing is pure CRAP!

Anyone annealing their brass, if so how are the results on paper?
Really depends on how bad the brass needs it (how hard it is).

On a certain batch of 1,000 once fired LC 308 brass, the best group I could muster was about 1.5" @ 100yds. It was also very hard to size and had inconsistent bullet seating depth as well as shoulder bump.

After annealing, all of these things improved including group size which was basically cut in half.

After that I was a true believer.
The AMP annealer was recommended to me by one of the Berger balisticians I spent a fair amount of time with on the phone about the issues I was having.

He was right.

I got one of these little hooters, and mounted it to a board that fits over my lap. With 10 of the little tray/magazines, I can just sit in front of the computer and prime a bunch of cases all in one go, swap out magazines as needed. Mostly works pretty well. Gotta watch the primers as they come up, that they don't get sideways. Best part is that the lever is friendly to old hands and wrists, and I get a pretty good feel of how the primer is going in, if the pocket is loose, or if there's a crimp that needs removed ( or the case thrown out) . Definitely one of Lee's better products.
1652674198180.png

I got one of these little hooters, and mounted it to a board that fits over my lap. With 10 of the little tray/magazines, I can just sit in front of the computer and prime a bunch of cases all in one go, swap out magazines as needed. Mostly works pretty well. Gotta watch the primers as they come up, that they don't get sideways. Best part is that the lever is friendly to old hands and wrists, and I get a pretty good feel of how the primer is going in, if the pocket is loose, or if there's a crimp that needs removed ( or the case thrown out) . Definitely one of Lee's better products.
View attachment 1200322
3 years ago I bought one and within 100 primed cases it broke. :eek: I returned it and found the APS locally soon after…;)

Can't get enough of these.
Maiden voyage on a brand new 550. Never had one so new. I'm liking the In Line Fabrication Ergo Roller Handle. Don't care for the Dillon version. I have tried them several times and don't care for them.
Also not sure if this should be posted here in "what did you reload today" or " reloading bench pictures"?

RE : Post #3,085
Primer problems on the press.

Today, I took a look/took it apart.....again.

Humm.....I found the problem. It was a worn metal support column that hold up the turret ring & dies. The column is built with grooves in it. And well, after all these years of usage, the round column was now flat where the support for the primer magazine rides. The grooves are meant to shake the primer magazine, while sending the primers down the chute. The weight of the column of primes puts pressure on the primer in the first position to be seated. I didn't have a spare column (actually, I didn't want to canibalize the other working machines). So, I just turned it a bit. Giving it a new surface to rub against.

Perhaps, I should go and look for some washers for that temporary fix?

Anyway.....
Viola.....
And now it works just like how it use to. I got about another 200 rounds made.

And, the new parts order went in. But it's been "backordered." Anyway, it will eventually show up (hopefully in Aug. 2022).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews