JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I took the weekend off from the presses and de-primed 9mm, 40, 38spcial, 357, and 44 mag brass. Now making 44-40 on the Lock N Load and 380acp on the Mark 7. Next up will be 30 carbine. I'm waiting for Brass and bullets for 10mm, 44 Mag, 32 S&W Long and 45 Colt. Like everything else these days, it'll get here when it gets here.

I charged and set bullets in 24 cases for a 30-06 AI this afternoon. I'd been working on these cases since Sunday. It's been 3 years since I did any reloading and I didn't feel the need to rush... :rolleyes:
Ladder test ammo.jpg

Nice! I need to break out my 30-06 AI and shoot it some; it hasn't been out in years.

I bought it maybe 20 years ago when I was really into Rem 700s. I bought it from an old-timer just for the action. It was a nice 700 BLD, custom barrel, 6-18 Burris scope.

The problem was that the scope was fogged and blurry, and in my experience unless a known reputable gunsmith did the work, a custom barrel is a pig in a poke. I expected to remove the barrel and have a good one in another caliber installed. I think I paid $300.

This time it worked out well. I asked Burris about the scope. They said "Send it in", and fixed it good as new, no charge. Then I started loading 30-06 AI rounds, and that rifle shoots like a laser. No point in replacing that barrel! :)

Helped a friend load some 9mm moly "Billy's Bullet" rounds for his pistol.

I normally treat and burnish my feed ramps with Tungsten Dioxide as an aid to loading. However, I am not sure I would want a lubricity agent like moly in my barrel.

Anybody have any experience with this one way or another?

I started looking at loads for my 300 Win Mag. I have soft point bullets ranging from 150gr to 220 gr and have W-760, IMR 4831, H-4831SC, and Retumbo powders. Any load combinations that stand out that are "must try"? I'm thinking a jack of all trades load is the 180 Nosler Partition Loaded with Retumbo.

Edited to add: rifle is a Browning X-bolt Hunter with a 26" barrel with a 1 in 10 twist rate

I started looking at loads for my 300 Win Mag. I have soft point bullets ranging from 150gr to 220 gr and have W-760, IMR 4831, H-4831SC, and Retumbo powders. Any load combinations that stand out that are "must try"? I'm thinking a jack of all trades load is the 180 Nosler Partition Loaded with Retumbo.

Edited to add: rifle is a Browning X-bolt Hunter with a 26" barrel with a 1 in 10 twist rate
I sold my .300 Win Mag along with the dies before I even hand loaded a single round, so I may not be of much help here. However, I have had good results with H-4831SC and 180 grain Nosler Partitions in my Weatherby Vanguard .300 Wby Magnum. It also has a 26" barrel and 1 in 10 twist rate.

If you haven't shot Retumbo, I think it would result in lower MVs but at least consistent. I'd look to a slightly faster powder (if you have) like H1K, 7277, 7828SC, RL23, RL25 or Power Pro 4000.
Take that with a grain of salt since I've never loaded for 300WM. But when I loaded for 7RM with 162's, more overbore but a lighter bullet, I'd use RL22. There's also powders like Magpro or VV165 or 565 if you have them.

Got "carded" today...first time in a very loooooong time. What for?

I went to WalMart to buy some "chisel-tip" Sharpies to mark my reloads with. The self-checkout machine would not let me proceed with the purchase without a clerk verifying my age. Apparently, they wanted to make sure I was not a prime suspect for tagging. I did not have the heart to tell the lady that I was purchasing the Sharpies to aid in my preparation of ammunition and ventilation/ destruction of paper targets. :rolleyes:

Loaded up 100 rounds M1 Garand ammo, 500 more to go. Found a great load for my 'as issued' iron sight M1.
5 shots in .8" group at 100 yards! Using the less exspensive Speer 125 grain TNT and IMR 4064. Less recoil.
Should be good for the short line (200 yards).

Deprimed \ sized 440 30-06 cases, made up a couple dummy rounds with cast powder coated bullets.

Started counting my 9mm and 45acp cast powder coated bullets to trade if possible as I am selling both 9 and 45 and going with 40 and 10 mm

20210921_124246.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews