JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Loaded a few .30-06 for the first time on a progressive. Going to get the chrono out later and test them before loading up the rest. Using H4350 with the Dillon powder measure did not work well at all so I did some research and found a different measure.

When I load 30-06 on my 650 I have a Lee Universal Rifle Powder measure installed in station 2 with a modified Lee Funnel. I had to cut a small horshoe shaped hole at the edge to clear the primer magazine when the ram goes up but the funnel still works great.

I now drop the h-4350 from an RCBS Uniflow that's mounted on a combination stand/powder trickler, onto a Dillon D-Terminator digital scale. The Uniflow is set to drop about .3gr less than my desired charge. Sometimes it drops the right amount and when under I then just trickle the few granules to make the charge exact. Dump in funnel while the ram is up. Then lower, place bullet, raise ram, get powder charge, dump, repeat.

I can load 100 rounds per hour according to my Press Monitor using this method. If I also load h4350 into my Chargemaster I can double the rate. More than enough '06 for my shooting needs and every powder charge is as exact as the scales are capable of (+/- .1 gr)

For those with 550's, Dillon makes a die/funnel setup so weighed charges can be added.

When I load 30-06 on my 650 I have a Lee Universal Rifle Powder measure installed in station 2 with a modified Lee Funnel. I had to cut a small horshoe shaped hole at the edge to clear the primer magazine when the ram goes up but the funnel still works great.

I now drop the h-4350 from an RCBS Uniflow that's mounted on a combination stand/powder trickler, onto a Dillon D-Terminator digital scale. The Uniflow is set to drop about .3gr less than my desired charge. Sometimes it drops the right amount and when under I then just trickle the few granules to make the charge exact. Dump in funnel while the ram is up. Then lower, place bullet, raise ram, get powder charge, dump, repeat.

I can load 100 rounds per hour according to my Press Monitor using this method. If I also load h4350 into my Chargemaster I can double the rate. More than enough '06 for my shooting needs and every powder charge is as exact as the scales are capable of (+/- .1 gr)

For those with 550's, Dillon makes a die/funnel setup so weighed charges can be added.

I really like the 4350 in 06 loads so I want to keep using it even if it's not quite as convenient as some other powders are. I can now move along pretty good with the quick measure and the accuracy is fine for hunting/target loads. I am not using this round to shoot 500+ yds.
I just got some Superformance powder in yesterday which is supposed to meter much better in the Dillon measure. I will be trying it out next time I load and then checking the rounds with the chrono to see how they stack up against the 4350. In the load data, Superformance is supposed to be great with the .30-06 but we will see.....

Yesterday: 300 rounds 158gr LSWC .38spl that I cast myself. Pushed by 3gr IMR trailboss and small rifle primers - as I'm all out of pistol (I've tested extensively don't worry).

Also caster another 400 of the same which are drying for a couple days after tumble liner with alox.

Pushed by 3gr IMR trailboss and small rifle primers - as I'm all out of pistol (I've tested extensively don't worry).

Should work fine. SAAMI dimensions for SRP and SPP's are the same. Only issues I would see would be having a good firm strike from the firing pin and adjusting the load as necessary for the different primers.

On that note, one could use the magnum primers of either as well as long as the proper precautions are taken by adjusting the load.

To the naked eye I cannot detect a difference in the hammer indentation between small pistol and rifle. Both were cci brand.

I may try remmington small rifle next.

For my wheel guns I have not messed with lightening hammer springs, as reducing reliability doesn't interest me.

To the naked eye I cannot detect a difference in the hammer indentation between small pistol and rifle. Both were cci brand.

I may try remmington small rifle next.

For my wheel guns I have not messed with lightening hammer springs, as reducing reliability doesn't interest me.

My cowboy revolvers will not ignite rifle primers, springs set to light. My Vaqueros with stock springs have no problems.

This was a few days ago, as it's my work week right now. But I used my new Lee Decapping die and punched a bunch of military crimped .223 brass I had kicking around. Found my hand primer, which is an old Lee unit I bought used with my used presses. I think I have all the stuff I need to make it work, but the big warning in the box about not using it with some primers and me not being sure what I've got is the correct pieces, I think I am just going to go buy a new one. Better safe then sorry.

This was a few days ago, as it's my work week right now. But I used my new Lee Decapping die and punched a bunch of military crimped .223 brass I had kicking around. Found my hand primer, which is an old Lee unit I bought used with my used presses. I think I have all the stuff I need to make it work, but the big warning in the box about not using it with some primers and me not being sure what I've got is the correct pieces, I think I am just going to go buy a new one. Better safe then sorry.

I had an old Lee hand primer for years. Used it so long that eventually I just plain wore it out.

I've read all Richard Lee's rants about Federal Primers and "tubular primer magazines" like on Dillon and other progressives. Found them to be merely "rants". I've loaded up that old priming tool with a full tray of primers and primed away. Bought the tool back in the early 80's and it's installed tens of thousands of primers of ALL brands, including the Federals that R. Lee seems to have a big "woodie" over.

It's not the priming tool that's a problem, it's the operator that likes to slam-bam, crunch, hammer, everything. You'll usually find that they are also the ones complaining about press parts breaking. Go figure.

300 rounds of .458, I am trying to get my SHTF stash up.

005-6.jpg

014-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR