JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I finally had time and somewhat decent weather(in between snow/sleet/hail/rain storms today) to get out the chrono and test the .30-06 I loaded with the Superformance powder. The load was 59grs with a 180gr spbt. The average fps ended up at 2622 which is almost identical to the Remington factory loads I have. My H-4350 loads with the same bullet were at 57gr and just over 100fps faster on average. H-4350 is virtually identical in price and using 2gr less per round and getting over 100fps more it's probably what I will stick with once I can find it in larger quantities again. Accuracy seems identical so that is not an issue. I still have some Varget and CFE223 to load some 165gr bullets with and will also compare them with the 4350 and superformance to see if there's much of a difference. The Superformance does meter a whole lot better than the 4350 and should probably work fine with the Dillon powder measure compared to the 4350 which does not work worth a damn with the Dillon measure.
I do find it interesting that Hogdon is claiming that Superformance gives 100-200fps higher velocities over other powders with the same loads as this is obviously not the case at least for me anyway.

Ron
Ron, you might want to try some Accurate 2700 in your '06 with the Dillon powder measure. I found it to be excellent with 150 gr bullets back when I had my '06. Other powders that might work well with the Dillon powder measure and your '06 would be Ramshot Big Game and Hunter. If I was wanting to load heavier bullets in an '06 and didn't want to weigh each charge, I would try Hunter first, followed by Big Game and Accurate 2700. All of them flow great through my RCBS Uniflow powder measure and should work well in the '06. I always weigh and trickle charges when using extruded (stick) powders. Even Varget and Accurate 2015 get weighed as I don't trust anything but ball powders in a measure like the Dillon or the Uniflow.

Anyone in Tigard? As soon as I can lay hands on some powder suitable for loading .223, I would like to make sure I'm doing it right.
If I lived closer, I would be happy to lend a hand. In the meantime, try to locate one (or more) of the following for your .223:
Ramshot TAC or Exterminator
Accurate 2200, 2230 or 2460
Hodgdon H-335 or BL-C2
Winchester 748
I have used almost all of these at various times, and they work very well in a powder measure and with various bullet weights.
If you can't find one of those, you can load the .223 with 50 to 60 gr bullets with one of these:
Accurate 2015 (very good velocity and accuracy, even with 40 gr bullets), 2495, 4064, 2520 (best with 55 gr bullets and up)
Hodgdon H-322, (best with lighter bulllets) 4895, Varget (best with bullets 55 gr and up)
IMR-3031, 4895, 4064 and 8208-XBR (a newer powder that meters decently and is versatile with most bullet weights)
I have less experience with the Reloder and Vihta Vuori powders with the .223. Alliant has a couple of new ones that should be good, Power Pro Varmint and 1200-R along with AR-Comp which I believe are all ball powders which should run well in a powder measure. They also have the old reliable Reloder 7, 10x and 15, any of which can be used in the .223.
These days, you need to grab whatever you find that works, as you may wait quite a while to find a pound of H-335 or Varget, since they are very popular with .223 users.
My personal favorites are Accurate 2015 and Ramshot TAC. Both of which are very good with bullets from 40 gr up through 55 gr in my experience.

I have 69gr pills for the majority. The problem is laying hands on any powder at all. I just don't have the time to camp out at the stores like the profiteers do.

I've got a progressive press, tons of brass, and primers. I just want to make sure that when I do get powder I can load and not forget anything in the process. The only powder I do have is some H-380, which is good for my .308, but I hear varying results about using it with the heavy .223 slugs.

I have 69gr pills for the majority. The problem is laying hands on any powder at all. I just don't have the time to camp out at the stores like the profiteers do.

I've got a progressive press, tons of brass, and primers. I just want to make sure that when I do get powder I can load and not forget anything in the process. The only powder I do have is some H-380, which is good for my .308, but I hear varying results about using it with the heavy .223 slugs.
H-380 is a little too slow for the .223 case. If I were you, I would try to concentrate on Ramshot TAC or Exterminator, Accurate 2230 or 2460, Hodgdon BL-C2, Varget or CFE-223, 4895 or Reloder 15 for your 69 gr bullets. Sadly, Varget, H-4895 and Reloder 15 are probably among the most popular (and in demand) powders today. I would hope you get some TAC, or Exterminator or one of the Accurate powders. They used to be a little cheaper than the Hodgdon or IMR powders, although today, the price differences are negligible. It is all about finding one available. Good Luck. I had ordered a couple of 8 lb kegs of Alliant Power Pro Varmint, but then decided I didn't really need to spend $300 on a powder I had never tried, so I cancelled the order knowing that Powder Valley would find another buyer for it in like, 24 hours or less. They did and it is now out of stock. You might try to back order something from Midway or Midsouth Shooters supply, but the haz mat and shipping is pricey. When I order powder or primers, I try to buy in bulk to ease the pain of the haz-mat charge. I ordered a pair of 8 lb kegs of Ramshot TAC a couple of years ago when it was on sale for $79.99 per keg. I had never tried it, but had heard good things about it, and decided to gamble the $200 for 16 lbs of powder. I am really glad I did, as I still have 6 or 7 lbs left and have loaded/shot a ton of it with complete satisfaction. Sometimes you have to take a chance.

Ron, you might want to try some Accurate 2700 in your '06 with the Dillon powder measure. I found it to be excellent with 150 gr bullets back when I had my '06. Other powders that might work well with the Dillon powder measure and your '06 would be Ramshot Big Game and Hunter. If I was wanting to load heavier bullets in an '06 and didn't want to weigh each charge, I would try Hunter first, followed by Big Game and Accurate 2700. All of them flow great through my RCBS Uniflow powder measure and should work well in the '06. I always weigh and trickle charges when using extruded (stick) powders. Even Varget and Accurate 2015 get weighed as I don't trust anything but ball powders in a measure like the Dillon or the Uniflow.

Once(if) things return to normal, I will definitely experiment with some other powders. I was lucky to get the quantities I did of Superformance and cfe223 and am set for quite a while. Hopefully by the time I start running low, everything will be fairly available again. I don't want my powder measure to dictate which powders I have to use, especially in times like these which I why the Quickmeasure is so nice. It meters 4350 very accurately and since I consider that one of the most difficult powders to meter, I feel pretty confident that I can make most things work without having to hand weigh each charge which is the reason I bought a progressive in the first place. Yes, it's a bit slower than using the Dillon measure but it's still a hundred times faster than weighing by hand!
Looks like the weather will cooperate today and I can get my .45 acp loads tested then make a large run. 10mm is next then time to switch to the small primer stuff.

Ron

Was able to shoot my first .45acp test rounds today. 185gr Montana Gold JHP, 8.6grs of power pistol, new starline brass and cci spp's. High was 1051fps, low was 1039fps so these were just a little hotter than the 1025fps the reloading info showed. Brass looks good. No signs of over pressure and they all fed and cycled well in an HK45 w/ a 4.5" barrel. The Dillon powder measure does pretty well with the Power Pistol so I am comfortable making a large run of this load.
I also have some +p brass to load this week as well and will see if I can duplicate the 185gr GDHP +p loads I have shot.

Ron

348 Winchester. Loaded 39 rounds. Slowly running out of reloading supplies for this fine rifle.😞

807F4E11-DE0B-47F5-B3E5-EFE312A26072.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top