JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This year my wife blessed me with a brick of 22LR and a $50 Bi-Mart Gift Card in my stocking, and two of the Seasonal Wooden Ammo Crates she must have seen me eyeballing at Bi-Mart the last time we were there together. I am a very lucky man......

The fiancé got me the Trius Birdshooter2 and some clay pidgeons, but since I don't have a shotgun I decided what I really got was approval to buy a shotgun!

Got a benchmark mini barrage too. Don't know if I like it or the paramilitary 2.
Uh oh... this might be the most important decicion of your life...
Your not just picking a knife, your choosing a way of life..
Spydienut or Benchmaniac? I chose the former... A big reason being the spyderco forum is a lot like NWFA... good people that don't tolerate azzholery... Sal Glesser will personally pop on every once and a while and welcome new members and answer questions...
I think Spyderco has a lot more interesting designs too... Benchmade are great, very well made knives. I just think they are a little boring... but everybody is entitled to thier own rediculous opinion:D
Choose wisely!

I've had some benchmades before. Mostly because i really like the axis lock.

I have this weird thing against liner locks, frame locks, or any other where you disengage the lock with your finger where to blade wants to go.

The compression lock on this spyderco is pretty slick. Almost as easy and an axis lock. I like the thumbhole better than the thumb studs in finding.

The spyderco is a little sharper out ofbthe box.

I've had some benchmades before. Mostly because i really like the axis lock.

I have this weird thing against liner locks, frame locks, or any other where you disengage the lock with your finger where to blade wants to go.

The compression lock on this spyderco is pretty slick. Almost as easy and an axis lock. I like the thumbhole better than the thumb studs in finding.

The spyderco is a little sharper out ofbthe box.
Most of mine are back locks... Im not a big fan of liner lock either, they can be preach chincy, and side load the blade so the deploy isn't as smooth. I'll admit that the axis is superior. The Cold Steel triad is pretty good too. Soo many options!

The para 2 us a little stiff opening. I think the compression lock loads the blade a little. It all looks adjustable, so I might mess with it very smooth knife though.

I had a sog, which turned me off on then a little. It was an assisted knife that liked to open in my pocket, even with the "safety" engaged. Crkt seems to make a good knife.
I have a real cheap Chinese one, and it's still pretty solid for $15

P1120116.JPG

Awrighty, then! Here's the puppy. A few corrections to my earlier post regarding this ordinance (published under the influence of Christmas excitement and various sundry other things):

It is actually 1.5" bore. Projectiles shown (that came with the rig) may look familiar to the fishermen on this site, as they are #10 Halibut sinkers with swivels removed. Note the operational elevation screw.

Consulting a previous year's copy of the Dixie catalog, Turner Kirkland recommended 1.5 ounces of black as a charge. For a "report only" demonstration (sound,no fury), he also promoted about 2" of compressed newsprint over such a charge. Fg powder was the favored substance of propellant. I had none. I did have FFg (for my Sharps guns).

Substitutions are quite often not advisable. But I'm a kid, and this was a Christmas present.

New Years Day: Installed the recipe, only after having water buckets nearby, blocking the wheels with firewood wedges, and a large sandbag on the tongue of the carriage. Ignition of about 8" of CVA cannon fuse was performed, and hasty retreat behind the corner of the pole barn initiated.

Amidst the sound of various neighbors igniting various illegal fireworks in my canyon, this little gem asserted itself quite admirably, knocking automotive care fluid cans off of a shelf inside the pole barn, and the report traveling at least a quarter mile down the ravine, followed by its echo returning to base. The carriage moved about 4". Neighbor fireworks became curiously silent for about 15 minutes. New kid in town.

Well! That worked. Same procedure with a projectile should do at least as well. Set up a 5 gallon steel paint bucket full of water, lined up the barrel and employed the elevation screw as best I could at close skirmish range: about 35 yards. Erred on the side of low, as I did not want to send a #10 Halibut sinker careening above my berm to wreak destruction toward parts unknown.

Result: entire carriage and gun levitated about 10-14" off the ground, flipped rearward, and landed on its back like a ruptured beetle. None the worse for wear, save a hairline crack in the axle and the ammunition box dismantled. Both repaired in the course of the remainder of the day, with note to self to moderate the load with correct powder for any future experiments.

Oh: missed the bucket, cutting a furrow about 2 feet in the mud bank just under the target.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads