JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Watched as a friend got caught with a uncovered firearm (he had taken his jacket off and sat down). Owner of the store was cool with it, but it sure was fun to tease said friend about accidentally "outing" himself. He is currently shopping for a new holster.

I'm sure I've been printed, exposed, etc.

I could care less. I have never had anyone panic, freak out, point it out to me or any other negative reaction.

hey Johnny you might want to check your facts

There is no place in Oregon that you can carry, that you cannot carry openly. You cannot conceal without a CHL, (unless you meet and exception in ORS 166.260) but you can OC everywhere you can conceal if you have a CHL, and almost everywhere if you do not. (ORS 166.173 and 360-380 excepted)

YOU CAN OC in Portland, yes you can, loaded too...only need a "license to carry" (doesn't specify from where) acording to ORS 166.173/

There is no place in Oregon that you can carry, that you cannot carry openly. You cannot conceal without a CHL, (unless you meet and exception in ORS 166.260) but you can OC everywhere you can conceal if you have a CHL, and almost everywhere if you do not. (ORS 166.173 and 360-380 excepted)

YOU CAN OC in Portland, yes you can, loaded too...only need a "license to carry" (doesn't specify from where) acording to ORS 166.173/

Right, its called "Preemption". I talked with a PPB Officer, who is a member of this forum. He said he understands the "preemption" law, which in a nutshell says: since Oregon is an OC state, the six cities in Oregon who have bans on open carry of loaded weapons have to, by State Law, allow open carry if you have a CCW.
This PPB Officer understood this concept well, and said most PPB cops he knows understand it also. He said he didnt care if he saw someone with a loaded AR slung, but said He said he would definitely interview him. He also said it would be wise to have your CCW in clear sheath around the neck for easy access.

Here is a youtube of a guy OC in Eugene (which is not one of the 6 cities who have banned OC). Notice how he handles the LEO's when they try to pressure him for his I.D.. Its interesting to me that they quit hassling him because the recognized he knew his rights.

Right, its called "Preemption". I talked with a PPB Officer, who is a member of this forum. He said he understands the "preemption" law, which in a nutshell says: since Oregon is an OC state, the six cities in Oregon who have bans on open carry of loaded weapons have to, by State Law, allow open carry if you have a CCW.
This PPB Officer understood this concept well, and said most PPB cops he knows understand it also. He said he didnt care if he saw someone with a loaded AR slung, but said He said he would definitely interview him. He also said it would be wise to have your CCW in clear sheath around the neck for easy access.

Here is a youtube of a guy OC in Eugene (which is not one of the 6 cities who have banned OC). Notice how he handles the LEO's when they try to pressure him for his I.D.. Its interesting to me that they quit hassling him because the recognized he knew his rights.

When I am talking about OC, I am strictly speaking of a pistol for purposes of self defense...long arms cannot be concealed easily and generally are not considered when talking about ORS 166 or RCW 9.41. Long gun specific law is usually in F&W code.

I've never been made when carrying concealed. If your going to conceal, then make sure it's CONCEALED. Otherwise OC.

When I OC, I always dress up a little more than I otherwise would have. Usually a polo shirt and Dockers and decent shoes. I've been called "officer" a few times by store clerks and never had anyone even mention it or look at me twice. I OC for pure convenience, not to make a statement. Having people think I'm a cop seems to make the sheep rest easier. That's a good thing.

The only time I was really made was at my brother's house, I just drove there and my shirt was somehow above the butt of the gun (IWB holster) and I walked in. He noticed and told me, to which I just pulled the shirt over it. I'm sure there have been times in public when my shirt wasn't completely over the gun or perfectly straight but nobody's said anything, nobody really cares, hah.. Most of the time I just OC on the waist, and if I must conceal I'll just cover it up with my shirt, I like it better this way than an IWB holster

When I am talking about OC, I am strictly speaking of a pistol for purposes of self defense...long arms cannot be concealed easily and generally are not considered when talking about ORS 166 or RCW 9.41. Long gun specific law is usually in F&W code.

What is F&W code?
Where is it found?
Regardless, I think the point is clear weather its OC pistol or OC long gun.

I've been made at the grocery store many times. My xdm45 doesn't hide well on my small frame. Some people give me funny looks. Older women tend to smile at me.

The store employees are used to me now, they don't give me funny looks anymore. They just smile.

But I don't walk around like I'm about to pound on my chest like tarzan. I put them at ease with reserve confidence and charm. It seems to work.:s0155:

What is F&W code?
Where is it found?
Regardless, I think the point is clear weather its OC pistol or OC long gun.

For WA, Fish and wildlife is in RCW 77. don't know for OR

If you look in the "definitions" section of RCW 77 you see that a "firearm" is a long gun only. (for purposes of RCW 77)

I am sure ORS 496-498 covers the same.

Not fully up on OR law but how exactly do you get a "brandishing charge" by having your gun show in a state where OC is legal?[/QUOTE]

Yep, let me see you open carry in Portland, downtown and see how long it takes for you to get put in the slammer. They will make up several charges before you can count to ten. You may get your gun back and may get out quickly if you have a good lawyer and lots of bucks.

East of the Mountains you can open carry all you want, except on the reservations, and nobody cares. But down the corridor in the Willamette Valley, Portland, Salem, Eugene, Corvallis you may be in for a fun time. Law or no law the liberals in this state will freak out and call the police and sic the dogs on you.

Open Carry is not allowed in Portland city limits unless you have CPL. Evem with CPL it's not a good idea, because you'll just get hassled and harassed by the PD.

I was at the tannasborne old navy last year around X-mas time with my wife standing in the checkout line when the guy in front of us bent over to pick something up he had dropped, his shirt rode up a exposed his .45, he new it and turned and apologized and smiled, no worries no apologies needed and no freaking out from the ten other people who were behind me that seen it.

Open Carry is not allowed in Portland city limits unless you have CPL. Evem with CPL it's not a good idea, because you'll just get hassled and harassed by the PD.

So you are willing not execizing a lawful RIGHT, because you are allowing the police to illegally harrass you and then get away with it? The reason the Portland Police may harass you is that people like you allow it. It is not lawful for them to harass you just because you are Ocing, and they are violating your civil rights if they do. There is recourse in the federal courts,

So you are willing not execizing a lawful RIGHT, because you are allowing the police to illegally harrass you and then get away with it? The reason the Portland Police may harass you is that people like you allow it. It is not lawful for them to harass you just because you are Ocing, and they are violating your civil rights if they do. There is recourse in the federal courts,

I do agree with your opinion, I also look at the fact of the matter and that is imho, I choose to not be hassled by LEO or even worse. I seen a post here a while ago of a cop (not sure where) whom shot and killed a man who was walking across the street with a knife in his hands, now from what I understand that cop has lost his job and is more than likely being sued. BUT the guy with the knife is still dead the lawsuit that the leo is being sued over isn't gonna do the dead guy any good. as I said in another post, I got hassled by three Portland cops who seen spent brass and shot up targets in the back of my pick up while I was sturgeon fishing under the railroad bride that goes over the Willamette river.

I own a bar and while bending down to pick something up, a regular customer asked me, "Is that a gun?" and he seemed pretty surprised. I told him that I checked with the state laws and as the owner, I am allowed to protect my property and legally carry a gun on me. Then I told him that with all the crazy people in this world, I refuse to be just another stastic. He nodded, and that was that. He still comes around quite often.

I do agree with your opinion, I also look at the fact of the matter and that is imho, I choose to not be hassled by LEO or even worse. I seen a post here a while ago of a cop (not sure where) whom shot and killed a man who was walking across the street with a knife in his hands, now from what I understand that cop has lost his job and is more than likely being sued. BUT the guy with the knife is still dead the lawsuit that the leo is being sued over isn't gonna do the dead guy any good. as I said in another post, I got hassled by three Portland cops who seen spent brass and shot up targets in the back of my pick up while I was sturgeon fishing under the railroad bride that goes over the Willamette river.

They can attempt to harrass you all they want, if you do not allow them to. If you were fishing, you did not even need a CHL, you are covered with your fishing exemption (ORS 166.260) Personally, I would not allow them to harass me, That just builds on their bully attitude. To me: Harassment = complaint to supervisor...if that gets no action...it is off to federal court. Portland and Seattle were both investigated by the FBI on excessive civil rights complaints (you do not have to be a minority to file a civil rights complaint, any violation of anyone's rights, by any officer, "under the color of law qualifies) If there is a pattern of this unlawful bullying by LE, the awards can be sizable.

Yes, Ian Birk killed Williams, and IMHO he should be in Prison keeping Karl Thompson (Spokane PD) company. He did loose his job, but I do not think that was not enough for the Seattle PD to really change their ways. I think when Karl Thompson finally (took 6 years and a federal court) went to prison...that, and the new CoP that Spokane has....I think that did make an impression in Spokane. I don't think we will hear about Spokane LE overstepping their bounds for quite awhile.

On the web site "Police One" there was an editorial on the 7th Circuit's decission on IL gun laws. It was a very positive editorial...(only LE can comment on this site BTW) There were quite a few comments that ran about 10:1 in favor of the ruling. One negative comment was from a "sgt1889" that basically, if he does not know you personally, he does not trust you, especially does not trust you to be armed. I was quite surprised...several commenters jumped down that guys throat, The LE community is comming around to view an armed populus as a benifit, not a danger. Those that don't see it that way, need have their minds changed, or to be weeded out. Complaints up the chain are how you do that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top