JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ive never been spotted that I know of but I had a drunk chick at a concert slam into my hip. She hit me pretty hard and then looked at me with huge eyeballs and took off skipping like she was. I would guess she had a nice bruise from the decocker the next day...

Ever notice how people embellish some things? Maybe you've said something terse before in a normal voice only to get a response like "You don't have to yell at me!" Parents of normal teens, can I get a witness here?

People (not always, but sometimes) tend to exaggerate things they hear and see.

I spoke to a print shop delivery driver who almost ran me over last week on a street corner downtown, then stupidly parked 100 feet away. I walked over and told him to put his cell phone down and pay attention behind the wheel. His loud, red-faced, profane response was that he stopped and looked, and no one was there. He did neither. (Interesting that he knew exactly what I was talking about even though I never mentioned that.) Told me to fark arf and ran off.

Later I thought... What if I'd reported him to the employer - whose name and number was on the door of the pickup? I was at work and not armed, but what if I'd been OC or poorly concealed? Then what if this twerp with stunted emotions and a flimsy grasp on reality had noticed my piece and decided to fabricate a report that I had threatened him?

My point is that I wonder if all "brandishments" actually go down the way they get reported. Emotional people can do some amazingly stupid retaliatory things, and I'd hate to have to lawyer-up over some frivolous BS involving my permit(s) to carry concealed.

Call me paranoid, but I think about loose cannons - excitable strangers who simply don't understand the first thing about laws or rights. When I prepare to go anywhere armed, I take deliberate precautions to ensure that concealed stays concealed. Just my take on it.

teflon
In those cases you would flip him off,just call the number on the truck,or take off the gun to go dance with the guy.
The first to make the phone call is the victim,right?
So if you just call and don't bother talking to the guy,no worries.

And I agree with your post.And I sometimes have to bite my tongue in those situations.

Not fully up on OR law but how exactly do you get a "brandishing charge" by having your gun show in a state where OC is legal?[/QUOTE]

Yep, let me see you open carry in Portland, downtown and see how long it takes for you to get put in the slammer. They will make up several charges before you can count to ten. You may get your gun back and may get out quickly if you have a good lawyer and lots of bucks.

East of the Mountains you can open carry all you want, except on the reservations, and nobody cares. But down the corridor in the Willamette Valley, Portland, Salem, Eugene, Corvallis you may be in for a fun time. Law or no law the liberals in this state will freak out and call the police and sic the dogs on you.

And if they do that, and you are legally carrying, they will get sued in federal civil court for violating my rights under the color of law...It will cost the LEO individual (no immunity for that) and the city will get to pay too. Seattle learned that lesson the expensive way (for them)

I don't worry about having anyone see that I'm armed, I OC except for weather, my coat may cover my carry. BTW: In 42+ years of carry, dry side and wet side, I have never been hasseled, and have only had 3 conversations with LE...none lasted more than a couple words, never been asked for my CPL or CHL.

Yes I have OC'd in Portland, and in Portland parks, specifically the Portland Zoological Gardens. Never be hasseled or even contacted by LE in OR.

And if they do that, and you are legally carrying, they will get sued in federal civil court for violating my rights under the color of law...It will cost the LEO individual (no immunity for that) and the city will get to pay too. Seattle learned that lesson the expensive way (for them)

That may happen IF you have the resources to pay a powerful attorney and pay for an extended court fight........but many of us do not have such resources

I was at some social function a few years ago when the ITW holster separated from its belt clip, fell down my pant leg and sent my little AMT .380 skittering across the floor! As I pounced on my pistol I loudly said "I'm sorry folks, it's legal!" and stuffed it into my pocket! No one said a thing but my wife's eye roll was eloquent beyond all normal understanding of the word! That was the last purchase from that company. It's name started with a U followed by a Mikes!

If I've ever been made nobody has ever said anything to me about it. I also have a couple pretty good IWB holsters and since I got my permit I carry my p238 90% of the time and its pretty much invisible in its holster

Ever notice how people embellish some things? Maybe you've said something terse before in a normal voice only to get a response like "You don't have to yell at me!" Parents of normal teens, can I get a witness here?

I spoke to a print shop delivery driver who almost ran me over last week on a street corner downtown, then stupidly parked 100 feet away. I walked over and told him to put his cell phone down and pay attention behind the wheel. His loud, red-faced, profane response was that he stopped and looked, and no one was there. He did neither. (Interesting that he knew exactly what I was talking about even though I never mentioned that.) Told me to fark arf and ran off.

Later I thought... What if I'd reported him to the employer - whose name and number was on the door of the pickup? I was at work and not armed, but what if I'd been OC or poorly concealed? Then what if this twerp with stunted emotions and a flimsy grasp on reality had noticed my piece and decided to fabricate a report that I had threatened him?

My point is that I wonder if all "brandishments" actually go down the way they get reported. Emotional people can do some amazingly stupid retaliatory things, and I'd hate to have to lawyer-up over some frivolous BS involving my permit(s) to carry concealed.

Call me paranoid, but I think about loose cannons - excitable strangers who simply don't understand the first thing about laws or rights. When I prepare to go anywhere armed, I take deliberate precautions to ensure that concealed stays concealed. Just my take on it.

Good post. If you are carrying, I think you are wise to be the bigger man and not engage people where possible.

I saw a road rage in downtown Seattle recently where a driver came a little close to a pedestrian in an intersection, and the pedestrian turned from a mild office worker into Mr Rage, a screaming lunatic, yelling at the driver through his window, then kicking the crap out of his car for over a minute. The driver wisely stayed in the vehicle and eventually Mr Rage had to move on because of traffic, but for a moment there I thought the driver was going to get out of the car and then it would have been on. You never can predict people's reactions - you likely would not have picked this guy as a potential threat.

Also, you should have seen the humiliated look on Mr Rage's female companion. LOL.

Good Post! Thats a what happens many times. Folks get all emotional and call the police and some will make up stuff. If everyone knew the law and acted with common sense there would be few problems.

I don't worry about having anyone see that I'm armed, I OC except for weather, my coat may cover my carry. BTW: In 42+ years of carry, dry side and wet side, I have never been hasseled, and have only had 3 conversations with LE...none lasted more than a couple words, never been asked for my CPL or CHL.

Yes I have OC'd in Portland, and in Portland parks, specifically the Portland Zoological Gardens. Never be hasseled or even contacted by LE in OR.

I have lived and worked in Portland for over 20 + years and will have to admit I have never, never, seen anyone carrying a weapon openly in downtown Portland, Beaverton, West Linn, Milwaukie, Tigard, Tualatin or any of the other areas I hang out in or travel through.

So you have been very lucky in my opinion. in some of our bedroom communities you may get your nose shoved in the dirt just by identifying the fact that you are a concealed carry holder and have a weapon on your person. But I do think that these incidents are few and far between these days as officers are getting used to the folks packing guns and having the proper permits.

Officers have a lot of options if they see you carrying a weapon in the open in a congested area. Public nuisance, causing a public disturbance, scaring little kids and old ladies, it goes on and on. Trust me the liberal mindset in downtown Portland will never tolerate open carry of firearms. You may get away with it a time or two but at some point you will get some ground time. Thats just my personal opinion.

CCP's have been revoked on Oregon for "brandishing"... when I was renewing my permit last time, there was a small stack of permits in a file bin which were up for review/possible revocation. Most bureaucrats like neither CC OR OC, but do treat them differently. Little they can do about responsible/rational OC except squak. However, a CCP individual who, in some various possible scenarios, raises his shirt to intentionally display the otherwise hidden weapon is making a specific point to the displayee... that the weapon might be introduced into the dispute. If warrented, no problem... but a Walter Mitty/Wannabe type flashing his hidden weapon in inappropriate scenarios (like an argument over a kid's soccer game) might well have his permit revoked. This same individual could exhibit the same behaviors with OC, implying that his weapon might be introduced inappropriately, and if he continues such behavior will eventually be charged with menacing or worse... and lose his right to carry or own a gun. I have carried concealed for many years and have always felt that was the advantage and point... never found a reason for revealing my weapon.
Not fully up on OR law but how exactly do you get a "brandishing charge" by having your gun show in a state where OC is legal?

Good post. If you are carrying, I think you are wise to be the bigger man and not engage people where possible.

I saw a road rage in downtown Seattle recently where a driver came a little close to a pedestrian in an intersection, and the pedestrian turned from a mild office worker into Mr Rage, a screaming lunatic, yelling at the driver through his window, then kicking the crap out of his car for over a minute. The driver wisely stayed in the vehicle and eventually Mr Rage had to move on because of traffic, but for a moment there I thought the driver was going to get out of the car and then it would have been on. You never can predict people's reactions - you likely would not have picked this guy as a potential threat.

Also, you should have seen the humiliated look on Mr Rage's female companion. LOL.

HaHaHa! My wife and another couple were stepping into the street on a walk signal when this drunk ran the red light and very nearly took us out! I slapped the van loudly and we continued across the street while this moron screeched to a stop, jumped out and confronted the poor fellow that was standing next to us at the intersection. He pointed me out and the jerk came for me but I was already tossing my .45 into the trunk and slamming it. What a load that lifted off my shoulders! Let's just say it was a verrrry bad decision for mister poo head! I almost gave up concealed carry then because the awareness of carrying a deadly weapon weighed heavily on me, as it should weigh on us all. Alas, my neighborhood was ravaged by gang warfare so I continued to pack but I always remember my moment of freedom fondly. Oh and yeah I could have been charged blah, blah, but I have a fierce, district attny eating lawyer and plenty of witnesses that I was attacked.

I have lived and worked in Portland for over 20 + years and will have to admit I have never, never, seen anyone carrying a weapon openly in downtown Portland, Beaverton, West Linn, Milwaukie, Tigard, Tualatin or any of the other areas I hang out in or travel through.

So you have been very lucky in my opinion. in some of our bedroom communities you may get your nose shoved in the dirt just by identifying the fact that you are a concealed carry holder and have a weapon on your person. But I do think that these incidents are few and far between these days as officers are getting used to the folks packing guns and having the proper permits.

Officers have a lot of options if they see you carrying a weapon in the open in a congested area. Public nuisance, causing a public disturbance, scaring little kids and old ladies, it goes on and on. Trust me the liberal mindset in downtown Portland will never tolerate open carry of firearms. You may get away with it a time or two but at some point you will get some ground time. Thats just my personal opinion.

I will try to answer two things here...first the point of the lawyer costing a lot...there are some lawyers that will take something like that on contingency,,,as they know if/when they win, they WILL get paid without having to go to a lot of extra effort...When I was young I knew a young (now old like me) lawyer that would have almost paid you for a good winnable civil rights case. Superb reference and training for him. You might want to read this:

Gun rights advocate accepts $25K settlement in Phila. ‘open carry' case | PennRecord.com, legal news for Pennsylvania

As for OC (by me) anywhere...(unless I am hunting, in which case I am wearing a large 6" Colt revolver in a full cover hunting holste)r...I wear a full sized CZ in a custom leather holster, black gun/black holster when wearing black, and Tan/Tan when wearing light color clothes. I usually wear black Carhartts, with a black/dark Polo or long sleeved shirt...but I do occationally wear tan slacks. My carry is held very close to the body by the holster...very unobtrusive. I think how you carry yourself and you weapon have a lot to do with it. If you act like it is no different than if you wear a watch on your wrist or a hat on your, or not, or carry a cell phone, or not, no-one will notice anymore than if they would notice those other items of appearl.

I would guess that less than one in a thousand people you see even notice I am armed...However, I have leared over the 42+ years that I have carried, the guys that would do you harm, size you up pretty carefully before they try anything....they have noticed (so far) and have left me alone. You don't think so? Well, do you thing you will be more likely mugged if you are wearing a Timex (or no watch) or a Rolex? Do you think it takes observation to see that Rolex?

The cops that have noticed have said these things to me: "Hunting?" (the Colt...very hard to miss that monster...coming out of a grocery store in Chelan Co about 25 years ago, Sheriff's Deputy, after a MWAG callon me.)..."When are you going to join our gun club?" (CoP, In town on the street about 10 years ago, we live 20 miles out of town) .... and "nice gun, what is it?" (Skagit Co Sheriff's Deputy at the Clear Lake boat launch, this year) Really scary encounters...ha ha

Back in the 50's we lived in Seaside...never had a problem there either...even though we were young <13 and would carry boy's ss .22's and fishing rods around everywhere in the summer.

CCP's have been revoked on Oregon for "brandishing"... when I was renewing my permit last time, there was a small stack of permits in a file bin which were up for review/possible revocation. Most bureaucrats like neither CC OR OC, but do treat them differently. Little they can do about responsible/rational OC except squak. However, a CCP individual who, in some various possible scenarios, raises his shirt to intentionally display the otherwise hidden weapon is making a specific point to the displayee... that the weapon might be introduced into the dispute. If warrented, no problem... but a Walter Mitty/Wannabe type flashing his hidden weapon in inappropriate scenarios (like an argument over a kid's soccer game) might well have his permit revoked. This same individual could exhibit the same behaviors with OC, implying that his weapon might be introduced inappropriately, and if he continues such behavior will eventually be charged with menacing or worse... and lose his right to carry or own a gun. I have carried concealed for many years and have always felt that was the advantage and point... never found a reason for revealing my weapon.

Well apparently OR does not even have a Brandishing Law so really hard to take a carry permit for it....

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/11152-accidental-exposure.html

<broken link removed>

Here are a ton of threads on the subject that have at least something to do with OR at some point in them, <broken link removed>

Of course this ORS ORS 166.190 - Pointing firearm at another - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes deals with actually point a firearm at someone which is FAR from OC..........

I wear iwb and try very hard to keep it concealed. We talk about LE or just everyday people seeing it but what about bad people? I know I may sound paranoid but what if on the off chance I'm in a store, etc while someone or a group is staking it out for a robbery. That person sees my weapon and makes an assumption that I'm an off duty officer or just a guy with a gun that might stop him. So, he either decides not to go through with it or he shoots me in the back of the head first to take me out of the equation. Now he's got one less person to stop him and an extra gun loaded with defense rounds. I care about my right to carry but I care more about my safety. I do care if people see and I do care what they think because I never know their intentions and never want to give them the upper hand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top