JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You bet it does! A couple years ago did a post here about eating a can of 1979 Tuna - was delicious. Plus it wasn't laden with as much mercury. I have about 200 lbs of canned chicken in my garage that are about 15 years old. Thanks for the reminder. I know what is on the menu tomorrow. Again, due to spazzoid wives, many guys give me their expired foods - love it.

You bet it does! A couple years ago did a post here about eating a can of 1979 Tuna - was delicious. Plus it wasn't laden with as much mercury. I have about 200 lbs of canned chicken in my garage that are about 15 years old. Thanks for the reminder. I know what is on the menu tomorrow. Again, due to spazzoid wives, many guys give me their expired foods - love it.
Sardines are not my favorite, but I could eat them occasionally. Herring is better, especially smoked herring. Salmon is GTG and trout, especially smoked, is my favorite.

In general, I think canned meat will last longer than stew or soups, and especially more than veggies/fruit - IME.

I found 8 cans of Amy's minestrone soup that expired back in 2015. I opened one can and smelled it and did not smell rancid so put in a pan and heated up. It was quite good.

4 more chickens freezed dried, took them and packaged for long term in mylar and converted some short term jar storage foods to mylar.

4 chickens, 1 gallon of green beans, and 1/2 gallon of taco meat...

Prepping about 9lbs uncooked weight of hamburger for taco meat to FD later tonight...

Just rx'd my 4/0 AWG cables for my two 120ah LiFePO4 batteries - to connect them together, in order to have 240ah (3kWh+) of battery power for my Starlink system - in addition to the 512wh EcoFlow power station they will be hooked to (with another cable I got today to input 12V into the EF power station. This should get me about 72 hrs of operation - at least 10 days if I use it about 6-8 hrs per day, which I wouldn't - more like half that if I was careful to only use it when I really needed it. Much longer if I use a genset to recharge everything about once a day - I could run my laptop on this system too.

I intend to setup an SDR for scanning, a quad mobile (6/10M and 2M/70cm) as a base station and keeping a Baofeng 2M/70cm HT charged.

Loaded up mags for my PS90 and Five Seven while watching Nova vids on String Theory. I will now pluck more of the foam from the case these go in to hold the rifle and its mags.

I came to appreciate these FN mags; no rattling or other weird side effects of a large capacity mag (20 & 50). Just a straight linear increase in difficulty as the mag took more rounds.

I also learned that a Five Seven mag can take 21 rds (with some difficulty), but the Five Seven itself cannot let a mag with 21 rds seat in the gun unless the slide is back. So I have one mag with 20 rds in the gun and two with 21 rds.
----
I also got my 5 gal buckets and 512GB USB thumb drive yesterday. I need more buckets but I wasn't going to buy a bunch of them until I got the first order to sample. They seem ok, but now Amazon no longer has them in stock. I also need some lids.
----
I checked that the solar panels I recently got were not broken - they were packed well, but the panels have a glass pane covering them so they are easy to break.

I am working on setting up my battery backup system for Starlink, laptop and Ham radio systems in my office.
----
I ordered some lined Wrangler ripstop cargo pants and some ripstop shirts - they had BOGO sale.

Loaded up mags for my PS90 and Five Seven while watching Nova vids on String Theory. I will now pluck more of the foam from the case these go in to hold the rifle and its mags.

I came to appreciate these FN mags; no rattling or other weird side effects of a large capacity mag (20 & 50). Just a straight linear increase in difficulty as the mag took more rounds.

I also learned that a Five Seven mag can take 21 rds (with some difficulty), but the Five Seven itself cannot let a mag with 21 rds seat in the gun unless the slide is back. So I have one mag with 20 rds in the gun and two with 21 rds.
----
I also got my 5 gal buckets and 512GB USB thumb drive yesterday. I need more buckets but I wasn't going to buy a bunch of them until I got the first order to sample. They seem ok, but now Amazon no longer has them in stock. I also need some lids.
----
I checked that the solar panels I recently got were not broken - they were packed well, but the panels have a glass pane covering them so they are easy to break.

I am working on setting up my battery backup system for Starlink, laptop and Ham radio systems in my office.
----
I ordered some lined Wrangler ripstop cargo pants and some ripstop shirts - they had BOGO sale.
Tractor Supply sells 5-gallon buckets. Gamma Seal lids, too.

Yes, a lot of suppliers do - but I got those three from Amazon for $12 - which is about $2 less per bucket than most others.
684C58D4-6D8E-4FCA-9628-4187C5E69760.png

Yup - $6 - 50% more than what I paid. When you are buying 10+ buckets, that adds up.
Been a long while since we've had a want for more buckets. We got our last bunch from an acquaintance who bought a bunch directly from restaurants & bakeries. Smelled of sauces & such, however such doesn't seep thru mylar. So doesn't matter.

Also doesn't matter for non-food storage to use food safe buckets.

May be worthwhile to look into bakeries, restaurants & such?

I taught my daughter how to store food in mylar. We put up 20# each of flour, oatmeal, rice, and a few pounds each of beans, sugar, and brown sugar. I used to get the sideways look when I talked about food prep, but now that she has a toddler, it's a different perspective. The shortages during the early pandemic made her aware of the need, but the formula shortage really spooked her and her husband.

Just rx'd my 4/0 AWG cables for my two 120ah LiFePO4 batteries - to connect them together, in order to have 240ah (3kWh+) of battery power for my Starlink system - in addition to the 512wh EcoFlow power station they will be hooked to (with another cable I got today to input 12V into the EF power station. This should get me about 72 hrs of operation - at least 10 days if I use it about 6-8 hrs per day, which I wouldn't - more like half that if I was careful to only use it when I really needed it. Much longer if I use a genset to recharge everything about once a day - I could run my laptop on this system too.

I intend to setup an SDR for scanning, a quad mobile (6/10M and 2M/70cm) as a base station and keeping a Baofeng 2M/70cm HT charged.
Well - I kind of jinxed myself; this morning my SL system went offline. I checked it and the router was offline. So I checked the power to it and found the EF power station was no longer outputting AC. *sigh* :(

So now I need to troubleshoot that.

Be careful with the longevity of flour....I've had it go rancid after about 1yr. Also, a 25# bag of flour fits nicely into a 5 gal. bucket. capped with a tight fitting lid and you're good to go for at least a year then rotate stock.

Today I sorted garden seeds for next years vegies.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top