JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You bet it does! A couple years ago did a post here about eating a can of 1979 Tuna - was delicious. Plus it wasn't laden with as much mercury. I have about 200 lbs of canned chicken in my garage that are about 15 years old. Thanks for the reminder. I know what is on the menu tomorrow. Again, due to spazzoid wives, many guys give me their expired foods - love it.

You bet it does! A couple years ago did a post here about eating a can of 1979 Tuna - was delicious. Plus it wasn't laden with as much mercury. I have about 200 lbs of canned chicken in my garage that are about 15 years old. Thanks for the reminder. I know what is on the menu tomorrow. Again, due to spazzoid wives, many guys give me their expired foods - love it.
Sardines are not my favorite, but I could eat them occasionally. Herring is better, especially smoked herring. Salmon is GTG and trout, especially smoked, is my favorite.

In general, I think canned meat will last longer than stew or soups, and especially more than veggies/fruit - IME.

I found 8 cans of Amy's minestrone soup that expired back in 2015. I opened one can and smelled it and did not smell rancid so put in a pan and heated up. It was quite good.

4 more chickens freezed dried, took them and packaged for long term in mylar and converted some short term jar storage foods to mylar.

4 chickens, 1 gallon of green beans, and 1/2 gallon of taco meat...

Prepping about 9lbs uncooked weight of hamburger for taco meat to FD later tonight...

Just rx'd my 4/0 AWG cables for my two 120ah LiFePO4 batteries - to connect them together, in order to have 240ah (3kWh+) of battery power for my Starlink system - in addition to the 512wh EcoFlow power station they will be hooked to (with another cable I got today to input 12V into the EF power station. This should get me about 72 hrs of operation - at least 10 days if I use it about 6-8 hrs per day, which I wouldn't - more like half that if I was careful to only use it when I really needed it. Much longer if I use a genset to recharge everything about once a day - I could run my laptop on this system too.

I intend to setup an SDR for scanning, a quad mobile (6/10M and 2M/70cm) as a base station and keeping a Baofeng 2M/70cm HT charged.

Loaded up mags for my PS90 and Five Seven while watching Nova vids on String Theory. I will now pluck more of the foam from the case these go in to hold the rifle and its mags.

I came to appreciate these FN mags; no rattling or other weird side effects of a large capacity mag (20 & 50). Just a straight linear increase in difficulty as the mag took more rounds.

I also learned that a Five Seven mag can take 21 rds (with some difficulty), but the Five Seven itself cannot let a mag with 21 rds seat in the gun unless the slide is back. So I have one mag with 20 rds in the gun and two with 21 rds.
----
I also got my 5 gal buckets and 512GB USB thumb drive yesterday. I need more buckets but I wasn't going to buy a bunch of them until I got the first order to sample. They seem ok, but now Amazon no longer has them in stock. I also need some lids.
----
I checked that the solar panels I recently got were not broken - they were packed well, but the panels have a glass pane covering them so they are easy to break.

I am working on setting up my battery backup system for Starlink, laptop and Ham radio systems in my office.
----
I ordered some lined Wrangler ripstop cargo pants and some ripstop shirts - they had BOGO sale.

Loaded up mags for my PS90 and Five Seven while watching Nova vids on String Theory. I will now pluck more of the foam from the case these go in to hold the rifle and its mags.

I came to appreciate these FN mags; no rattling or other weird side effects of a large capacity mag (20 & 50). Just a straight linear increase in difficulty as the mag took more rounds.

I also learned that a Five Seven mag can take 21 rds (with some difficulty), but the Five Seven itself cannot let a mag with 21 rds seat in the gun unless the slide is back. So I have one mag with 20 rds in the gun and two with 21 rds.
----
I also got my 5 gal buckets and 512GB USB thumb drive yesterday. I need more buckets but I wasn't going to buy a bunch of them until I got the first order to sample. They seem ok, but now Amazon no longer has them in stock. I also need some lids.
----
I checked that the solar panels I recently got were not broken - they were packed well, but the panels have a glass pane covering them so they are easy to break.

I am working on setting up my battery backup system for Starlink, laptop and Ham radio systems in my office.
----
I ordered some lined Wrangler ripstop cargo pants and some ripstop shirts - they had BOGO sale.
Tractor Supply sells 5-gallon buckets. Gamma Seal lids, too.

Yes, a lot of suppliers do - but I got those three from Amazon for $12 - which is about $2 less per bucket than most others.
684C58D4-6D8E-4FCA-9628-4187C5E69760.png

Yup - $6 - 50% more than what I paid. When you are buying 10+ buckets, that adds up.
Been a long while since we've had a want for more buckets. We got our last bunch from an acquaintance who bought a bunch directly from restaurants & bakeries. Smelled of sauces & such, however such doesn't seep thru mylar. So doesn't matter.

Also doesn't matter for non-food storage to use food safe buckets.

May be worthwhile to look into bakeries, restaurants & such?

I taught my daughter how to store food in mylar. We put up 20# each of flour, oatmeal, rice, and a few pounds each of beans, sugar, and brown sugar. I used to get the sideways look when I talked about food prep, but now that she has a toddler, it's a different perspective. The shortages during the early pandemic made her aware of the need, but the formula shortage really spooked her and her husband.

Just rx'd my 4/0 AWG cables for my two 120ah LiFePO4 batteries - to connect them together, in order to have 240ah (3kWh+) of battery power for my Starlink system - in addition to the 512wh EcoFlow power station they will be hooked to (with another cable I got today to input 12V into the EF power station. This should get me about 72 hrs of operation - at least 10 days if I use it about 6-8 hrs per day, which I wouldn't - more like half that if I was careful to only use it when I really needed it. Much longer if I use a genset to recharge everything about once a day - I could run my laptop on this system too.

I intend to setup an SDR for scanning, a quad mobile (6/10M and 2M/70cm) as a base station and keeping a Baofeng 2M/70cm HT charged.
Well - I kind of jinxed myself; this morning my SL system went offline. I checked it and the router was offline. So I checked the power to it and found the EF power station was no longer outputting AC. *sigh* :(

So now I need to troubleshoot that.

Be careful with the longevity of flour....I've had it go rancid after about 1yr. Also, a 25# bag of flour fits nicely into a 5 gal. bucket. capped with a tight fitting lid and you're good to go for at least a year then rotate stock.

Today I sorted garden seeds for next years vegies.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top