JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I took my old Mosin out for some exercise.

1654896076592.jpeg

My son took his newest toy out too (Accuracy International in .308 Win). He said the ZQI ammo was shooting like C#@* while the LC ball ammo was doing much better for him.

And, Nope. He's not making a move, to getting back to the reloading bench.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Bought 3 more boxes of 9mm 147 gr subsonic hollow points to run in quiet mode with my CZ Scorpion and CZ P10C

Do not want to wake the neighbors...lol

1654965073000.png

Last night I decided to clip up some Mosin Nagant ammo. Yes, that can on the far right is what the ammo came out of. 440 rounds to the can. Factory code "188" and the Date code (looks like a) "K" or maybe it's "H"?

I transferred the 20-round paper-wrapped packets into the middle can. Yeah.....I didn't want to accidentally cut my hand while reaching in.

Which also meant, that later in the night (after I was done), I had to pound down the sharp edges on the middle can. Yup......I'm keeping that can for more duties around the house while the can on the far right is going into the trash.

The clips are made by Izhevsk and recycled from a can of ammo on clips from 1947. BTW......that 1947 ammo was terrific. Never a problem with it. I guess that says something about properly stored "old ammo".

Aloha, Mark

PS.....the ammo from 1947 was the ammo I used in Post #10,683.

Last Edited:
So then.......

Last night (while I was sleeping) my son got back to the loading bench. He cranked out some reloads (.308 Win) for himself. About 220 rounds. He made some 168 grn BTHP, some 165 grn, some 147 FMJ, and some 130 grn ammo. Used up a good portion of my H4895.

Me.....I would have started out with a single load and tweaked it a little at a time.

But, I guess that he was in a hurry to find what works for him and his bolt gun. The ammo passed my headspace/gauge test and testing for COAL. YES, I'm thankful for that. And BTW, he said he used 43.3 grn of H4895. Whatever. I'm glad that he (at least) got back to the bench.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Odds'n'ends:

• Resupplied the Dak canned hams. We found those work well in a lot of dishes, the kids will eat it, and it stores easy.
  • Bought a lightly used, Smith & Wesson, Model 500 in .500 S&W Magnum on Gunbroker. This is the variant with the ported 6½" barrel and half lug. (I am meeting a friend in the city on Friday, so I will likely pickup some ammunition from one of the big box or farm stores whilst there.)
  • Pulled out the GMRS repeater to play with it, but got busy with other things.
  • Attended the BATFE webinar concerning the changes coming due to the recent ruling and how it changes FFL licensees practices. (It was as delightful as it sounds. )
  • Networked with some like-minded folks.
  • As it was cited in a book I read earlier in the year, I looked up a 1951 article in The Journal of Social Hygiene entitled "VD Control in Atomic-Bombed Areas", because I suspected I'd find parts unintentionally hilarious. I did.

Changed a tire on the truck today - old tire was sitting so long that it wouldn't hold air anymore (I do have a full set of 6 studded spares too).

May seem like a small thing, but the wheels on a dually are not trivial, and getting the spare off its mounting was even harder - had to resort to a cheater bar on a breaker bar. The pneumatic wrench would not break the nuts loose on the spare or the flat tire.

Yesterday I used the truck to pull some large limbs out of the woods that fell in my ad-hoc range space.

* Took the old non-operational hose cart apart and made wheel sets for 2 kayaks so I can roll them into the water with human power.

* Bought another 25 lb bag of rice and have mylar bags and desiccant on the way. Used the lads Swix snowboard waxing iron to seal the mylar last time -worked great.

* Planted Sunchokes in the area at 4 different locations and Camas at another spot. (this is public places generally, the goal being to have many options for food in the event of need)

Freeze dried about 4qts of corn, 2qts in jars, 2 quarts in a bag (its like eating candy, my wife loves it).

Got 700rds of .22lr, 200 of which is basic match grade.

Downloaded Kiwix and I am downloading various ZIM files to read in it, like Wikipedia, PHET, Wikimed, Wikibooks, Wikisource and so on.

Now that I have Starlink this is much much easier and faster.
Filled up my SSD. Going to offload the files onto a 1TB SSD that fits into my wallet.

I should be able to read the files on any of my devices if I install the right software on them.

Bought some more 6.5 for the hunting rifle, bought some ammo cans so my ammo is more organized, and visited the holy land (bi mart) for some more freeze dried meals to supplement my food preps

Cleaned a gutter

Taste tested some smoked/peppered herring. I liked this better than the mustard or tomato sauced herrings by far. I think I will try to jerk one of these in a dehydrator and if it turns out well, then put that into a vacuum bag and see how long it keeps.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top