JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
  1. Rotated and refilled a 5 gallon gas can.

2. Organized and rotated stock in our food pantry. Then took a trip to WinCo and bought lentils, canned chili, brown rice, tuna, canned soup, canned fruit and vegetables, almond milk, granola bars, and generic Excedrin.

Was looking for some storable sweets, to break up the monotony of soups, stews, and lentils. I thought about canned pie filing, and cake frosting. Decided to hold off on those until I thought about it some more.

Wonder if any of you have any ideas for dessert type foods?

Last Edited:

2. Organized and rotated stock in our food pantry. Then took a trip to WinCo and bought lentils, canned chili, brown rice, tuna, canned soup, canned fruit and vegetables, almond milk, granola bars, and generic Excedrin.

Was looking for some storable sweets, to break up the monotony of soups, stews, and lentils. I thought about canned pie filing, and cake frosting. Decided to hold off on those until I thought about it some more.

Honey is supposed to last forever.

I'm keeping cocoa powder and sugar, so I can make sweet chocolate things.

Beyond that, I don't know. Maybe freeze-drying?

Honey is supposed to last forever.

I'm keeping cocoa powder and sugar, so I can make sweet chocolate things.

Beyond that, I don't know. Maybe freeze-drying?
Yes I have some honey that was crystalized but putting on the sun for a while it broke up the crystals. Not sure when I bought but it was literally years ago now.

Salt water taffy seems to last forever if not to hot in storage.

Similar to @Howard1955, we put back ingredients that can't be easily sourced locally.

Sugar. A bunch.

Salt. A bunch.

Gelatin. A bit.

Honey. A bit.

Basics for baking, plus spices (cinnamon, nutmeg as examples) & flavors (vanilla & maple as examples).

Chocolate. Various. Cocoa powder, baking cocoa, semi-sweet chocolate chips. A goodly bit, several years worth at our current "normal" consumption. Not "enough", however it simply is what it is.

"True" brand powders: Lemon, Lime & Orange. A bunch.

I'd think that should some TRUE End to the World as We Now Know it event occur, folks whom survive will do so by using ways & knowledge of old.

Sweets & treats would be special. Cakes, puddings, candies (honey based/caramel based). Popcorn. Roasted nuts. Dried fruits. Those sorts of things. Cookies-maybe?

Jams, jellies, syrups & such would likely be used far more sparingly than we are used to currently.

I learned two things:

One thousand rounds of Federal 9mm +P HST, in a thin plastic bubble wrap bag, fit very neatly into a .50 cal ammo can (which comes along with a FAT fifty and a .30 cal can at BiMart).

Also, a Tuff Jug 5 gallon jug is a decent deal for only $23 (at BiMart). Very thick food grade translucent plastic with gallon and liter (5L) markings. I think I will get 5 more to store water in the shop (instead of Sceptre cans which cost twice as much).
Ive been looking for cheaper ways too store water

I am sure there is a sweet spot of $ per gallon of storage (besides having a well).
The first year we lived here we bought 5 gal bottles10-20 at a time. So expensive! Then I installed a nice osmosis filter:) im happy I did apparently what we were tasting was rust:( and lots of it! Clogged 6mo filters in about 3 months! I really need to figure a long term water solution though. A few months isnt going to cut it:/

You can keep boxed cake mixes for a couple of years. I'd put them in mylar with desiccants. I have quite a bit of white sugar and about half as much brown sugar. Both are stored in mylar. The brown sugar is still soft. Also, I keep hot chocolate tubs. For fun, I put some marshmallows in mylar about 7 years ago. They are still soft as well. I personally don't like marshmallows, but I figured others may like the treat of fluffy marshmallows in hot cocoa in a grid-down situation or whatever else. I also have some canned strawberry pie filling, the junket-like stuff if you know what that is. My daughter cans apple pie filling to store. It's fabulous on vanilla ice cream, LOL.

That jello cheesecake stuff might be good to store as well, that would be a nice treat.

The sad part of eating a lot healthier is everything lasts (unfrozen) maybe 2-3 days and spoils. Back when I was eating trash and all sorts of processed foods at least I knew one trip to the store a month would get it done. Of course not eating garbage means a lot higher food costs. Worth it though if/while I can afford it. Grass fed/finished or pasture-raised, get out your wallet and bend over.

Cut firewood. Going to try to finish up tomorrow by loading up remaining wood, then splitting and stacking it.

I think there is about a week's worth of wood.

It has been cold here - frost on the ground and standing water has a layer of ice on it. Next week it might snow and there is still about 6 weeks until spring and I only have about 3 weeks worth of firewood if I don't cut/split more. I have cut back on burning firewood as I am getting low. If the power goes out I want some firewood to burn. I should have cut/split more this last fall and late summer.

Cut firewood. Going to try to finish up tomorrow by loading up remaining wood, then splitting and stacking it.

I think there is about a week's worth of wood.

It has been cold here - frost on the ground and standing water has a layer of ice on it. Next week it might snow and there is still about 6 weeks until spring and I only have about 3 weeks worth of firewood if I don't cut/split more. I have cut back on burning firewood as I am getting low. If the power goes out I want some firewood to burn. I should have cut/split more this last fall and late summer.
Take care of your back with all that wood cutting.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top