JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh, get some candles. Cheap, and a nice source of an open flame for an extended period of time. Valuable for fire starting under less than ideal conditions. A shoebox full of small to medium sized candles is a good idea, I think.
Candles are a bad fire danger.

Candles caused 2% of reported home fires, 3% of home fire deaths, 6% of home fire injuries, and 4% of the direct property damage in home fires.

Better to have the LED candles that run on batteries, and even then those are not efficient.

I generally do not have open flame in the house or shop, especially for lighting (I do have a propane space heater for the shop, but rarely use it).

I do have a woodstove, and I have battery powered lighting that gives off about as much light as a candle for a longer time (56 hours for one, 200 hours for another) than candles, they are rechargeable, have modes for more power, I can clip them to the bill of my ball cap, and they are water/wind proof.

I also have a multi-fuel (liquid) mantle lantern that gives off a LOT more light than any candle, and can be used to heat food.

Thanks for letting us know about these.
Going to order a different brand today. Decided to use the ones I got yesterday out in the shop as backups for the lighting I have out there (mostly LED tubes in florescent fixtures) because of the 6000K color. The ones I will order today will be 3000K which I prefer for the house. Maybe use one of the 6000K in one or two rooms where I want it to be really bright, but the lamps in the living room I want to be a warmer color.

If that works out, then I will get a mix of colors for the kids. I gave them some plug in backup emergency lighting, but those are not controlled by switches. When the power goes out I think it is very useful to have emergency lighting controlled by switches so that they are not constantly on; last time the power went out for more than a few hours, I found I had to go around and manually unplug and/or switch off the emergency lighting so as not to discharge the batteries unnecessarily - which was a PITA. When I had to evac for the forest fire I didn't have time to do that, so some of the emergency lighting was totally discharged and some of those no longer recharge.

Ordered a OLight Baldr Mini light/green laser WML. We'll see how well these hold up - got them for the Five Sevens. I have the Streamlight TLR8G for one of my SIGs, and the TLR-2G-HL for my Shockwave and PS90. Maybe I will get the TLR8AG next.

Got some bonus (free) emergency lights and flashlights with the OLight.

Well yeah, if you view candles as dangerous, by all means, don't have any around. I would think that most prepper minded people would want some candles around as an option.

Well yeah, if you view candles as dangerous, by all means, don't have any around. I would think that most prepper minded people would want some candles around as an option.
I view them as inefficient for lighting or any other purpose.

Risk is a spectrum. For a candle the light it gives off is not worth the risk of fire - especially when there are much better alternatives. I am careful with fire.

Candles are a bad fire danger.

Candles caused 2% of reported home fires, 3% of home fire deaths, 6% of home fire injuries, and 4% of the direct property damage in home fires.

Better to have the LED candles that run on batteries, and even then those are not efficient.

I generally do not have open flame in the house or shop, especially for lighting (I do have a propane space heater for the shop, but rarely use it).

I do have a woodstove, and I have battery powered lighting that gives off about as much light as a candle for a longer time (56 hours for one, 200 hours for another) than candles, they are rechargeable, have modes for more power, I can clip them to the bill of my ball cap, and they are water/wind proof.

I also have a multi-fuel (liquid) mantle lantern that gives off a LOT more light than any candle, and can be used to heat food.
The candles that I use are contained in glass tubes. I have cats that are drawn to flames like moths. They are also bees wax, so no soot.

Open flames are dangerous with animals and small children.

Mine are coiled in an open glass tubes. Up to 80 hours of light. I can't remember where I bought them, but can find out with an irritating search.

Flashlight and LED geek here also, plus solar hobbyist/beginner. Candles not so much. Although old school Kerosene in a big 5gal blue can and some wick lanterns are old school and are better than nothing.

They WILL pull down the grid at some point. Even Brandon has mentioned that 'threat' 3-4 times this year. They like to tell us ahead of time when they are going to kick the side of the ant farm.

I made my "monthly" run into town for groceries.

Costco still has pallets of the Tasty Bite Thai curry 6 meals for $6 and the Minute Khana 6 meals for $10, so now knowing that I like the Minute Khana meals I bought 10 boxes of them.

I also got some "Bic" type lighters at the Dollar Store.

Flashlight and LED geek here also, plus solar hobbyist/beginner. Candles not so much. Although old school Kerosene in a big 5gal blue can and some wick lanterns are old school and are better than nothing.

They WILL pull down the grid at some point. Even Brandon has mentioned that 'threat' 3-4 times this year. They like to tell us ahead of time when they are going to kick the side of the ant farm.
Interested to hear about the solar.

Got two of the JackonLux bulbs yesterday - tried them today. Somewhat softer light than the Neporal, and closer to the standard bulb size - the Neporal are a much larger bulb. Also came with a plug adapter where the Neporal did not. I think the Neporal are a bit brighter though, and will do ok in the shop.

Going to order more now - four for the kids and four more for myself.

I have one of those floor lamps with individual lamps, each with their own switches. I discovered that with these bulbs in that lamp, I don't even have to plug it in (once the batteries are charged) because the switch on the lamp itself causes the bulb to turn on when there is no power.

This will work well; when one bulb gets too dim because the battery is discharged I just turn that light off and turn on a different light on the lamp - giving me something like 5-10 hours of light at the lamp - that would last for a week or more - 1-2 hours of light per morning/evening when light is needed (if needed - during the summer I wouldn't need light near as often).

BCF544A7-0CC6-4C82-839A-4CBA808E2318.jpeg

I bought and installed an EMP-Shield for my pickup truck. It took a lot longer than expected since there is not that much room under the hood of a 1993 Nissan 4x4. If I had not replaced the halogen lights with LED lights I am not sure I am sure if I could install it.

Since I replaced the headlights with LED ones I had to take the battery out and and to use combination of screws and high strength Velcro and installed right up front. It does come with high strength Velcro on the unit but I there was not enough body to install it so I had to screws as well.

The green LED means it is working,

Last Edited:
View attachment 1083719

I bought and installed and EMP-Shield for my pickup truck. It took a lot longer than expected since there is not that much room under the hood of a 1993 Nissan 4x4. If I had not replaced the halogen lights with LED lights I am not sure I am sure if I could install it.

Since I replaced the headlights with LED ones I had to a use combination of screws and high strength Velcro and installed right up front.

The green LED means it is working,
EMP shield?

Exactly how does that work?

I am posting the EMP-Shield link and so you read yourself. You can also search for YouTube videos as well.

https://www.empshield.com/
Interesting.

However, I had always thought all circuits act as a collector. Power source disconnect being made irrelevant due to the charge involved.

That's why faraday cages are used. No idea on how governments attempt to protect equipment.

Hopefully no ones theories ever get put to a test.

I bought one of these in .308 today...to go with my can of handloads.
Bergara B-14 Wilderness Terrain. Nice thing is it uses Magpul mags.
After zeroing at 100 yards a while ago (5 shots) I was getting <1" groups
The factory muzzle break is loud but tames recoil down way less than I ever experienced with my old Rem PSS
B14S652-B14-Wilderness-Terrain-Overall-Web.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads