JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Stihl Farm Boss 20" is a B to start the first time. My cheap Homelite 14" starts after two or three pulls every time. It gets the most use and I have had it for 15 years without any problems - sometimes you get lucky.

The Stihl gets the hard nasty work and I have had to replace the bar from cutting stumps shorter. When the bar starts smoking, it is time to give it a break and clean and oil. It has never failed me.

got 10# of oatmeal
20# of granola
a fire extinguiser
some blue jeans that were on sale at costco for $7
Did a Costco run yesterday. They had everything on our list except Kirkland Roasted peanuts. The 3/4 sized can compared to a #10 can.

Odd. Plenty of other/ more expensive nuts available.

Have a bunch, wanted more. Will have to give Cash & Carry (Chef Store/US foods now I guess??) a looksee some morning. Looks as they carry a #10 canned brand, which is also a better value. If in stock.

-took a looksee at their TP/PT area out of curiosity (we're good). Nothing! All filled in with bottled water.

Edit: Kirkland #10 canned ground coffee now $12. Was $11.50 last month. Was $10 pre-plandemic...

Did a Costco run yesterday. They had everything on our list except Kirkland Roasted peanuts. The 3/4 sized can compared to a #10 can.

Odd. Plenty of other/ more expensive nuts available.

Have a bunch, wanted more. Will have to give Cash & Carry (Chef Store/US foods now I guess??) a looksee some morning. Looks as they carry a #10 canned brand, which is also a better value. If in stock.

-took a looksee at their TP/PT area out of curiosity (we're good). Nothing! All filled in with bottled water.

Edit: Kirkland #10 canned ground coffee now $12. Was $11.50 last month. Was $10 pre-plandemic...
Their 5# Kidde fire extinguishers were $27 IIRC - so I picked up another one - I have something like 4-5 already - two in the shop, and two in the house? I probably should buy several more - one for each truck.

Walmart has the smaller 2.5# on sale for $10:

I should maybe order some of the smaller ones - one for my daily driver and one for the kid's daily driver.

Walmart had Blue Diamond smokehouse almonds on sale ($13.5 + $4.10 rebate at register == $9.40) in a 45oz mylar bag, so I got three more of those. Good to munch on, provide salt, maybe make up snack/quick energy packs of almonds/granola/pistachios/jerky/chocolate (M&Ms) in vacuum sealed bags for my GHB.

The Quaker oatmeal - two 5# bags in a box, was $9.7 - which is a good price IMO.

They also had the generic prilosec analog in bottles for $10 per 42 tabs - cheapest I have seen it (usually $13-$15), so I got the limit (5) which should be 7 months worth. I have plenty of this, but it is necessary for me to sleep without GERD problems at night - if I stop taking it I can have serious GERD problems (I worry I may aspirate reflux some night - I've come close if I forget to take the pill - so something so simple can be life threatening, and the meds are OTC/cheap/effective). I've noticed if I switch between the analog and the original generic, that it takes a few days for it to become effective - but I prefer the bottled form as it is more convenient to store and use than the blister pack.

Got the generator from Costco. Also have an electrician scheduled to set up a transfer switch. Got a new 4x4. Any suggestions on gasoline storage? i got a couple 5 gallon from bimart. Also anyone ever hook up their natural gas home line to a backup generator before? electrician said he doesn't do that. Plumber? I think short term like a week or two we will be ok. I need to get more water storage.
I can comment on the gas storage.

1st) Don't cheap out on the cans. Buy metal Jerry Nato cans of good quality. There is a natural rise at the top of the can that is used for air so that the petrol can expand and contract with the heat.

2nd) They say to keep your filled gas cans in an outbuilding. I don't have one so I make sure that there is ventilation in the room.

3rd) https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp is the link to stations which sell ethanol. Buy that. It costs more, it's worth more.

4th) Use a fuel stablizer. Project Farm is evaluating that stuff, but until we see head to head tests, Stabil Storage or PRI-G are 2 well known and well regarded stabilizers. Non-ethonol Gas can go bad with in 6 months. Those 2 should get you 2 years of storage. Add stablizer before you put the gas in the metal Jerry can although PRI-G says you can add it after as well if needed.

5th) Zip tie a tag to the top with the date you put the gas in. Rotate it annually, you can dump it in a vehicle and then go refil it up. In case you miss the date and I can attest that the 360 days will in reality come and go before you are aware, you should still have good gas for some time.

Today: brought in most of the green tomatoes to hang in the basement where they will continue to ripen for the next 2 months or so.

Putting together some LED flasher "road flare" thingamajigs. Learned I don't have very many triple A batteries, so now I am going to order some. Noticed Costco had Duracells on sale - not sure if they had triple As or not. Going to get lithiums for these as they are emergency lights.

Putting together some LED flasher "road flare" thingamajigs. Learned I don't have very many triple A batteries, so now I am going to order some. Noticed Costco had Duracells on sale - not sure if they had triple As or not. Going to get lithiums for these as they are emergency lights.
I have been testing Energizer Lithium batteries in several flashlights and my camera. I recently lost two nice flashlights due to battery leakage. Hopefully lithium's won't have the leakage problem and also last longer. They make the flashlights brighter compared to alkaline.

As for the lithium batteries, they are all 3V new so I wouldn't say brighter. However I have messed up a lot of nice flashlights and other electronics with leaking alkaline batteries. So now I pretty much stick to lithium or chargeable - mostly 18500s in flashlights. Old school also, have a lot of Kerosene and lanterns, plus wicks.
Also, years ago a friend told me not to have batteries stored in the same room as my cats litterbox. I ignored that cause I keep it really clean, at least every 48 hours. But what he said must have been true. Every battery in the same room = toast. Other batteries in other areas bought around the same time? Fine. Battery destroying cat!

MittsLounging0817.JPG

I have been testing Energizer Lithium batteries in several flashlights and my camera. I recently lost two nice flashlights due to battery leakage. Hopefully lithium's won't have the leakage problem and also last longer. They make the flashlights brighter compared to alkaline.
Yeah - I've had some things damaged by alkaline leakage. Lithium energizers are not supposed to leak. The nominal voltage is the same as alkaline,, but they hold that voltage for much longer and have more AH. Lithium batteries are also more resistant to cold.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top