JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A climate hit piece, no mention of the number one reason for less water- population increase since the dam was built, 8 fold in Arizona alone since 1940, from 1/2 million to 8 million. This "might" have an impact on water availability. I guess if we ignore the fact that millions upon millions more people are sucking water out of the same Colorado River, then we can blame the hot summers for evaporating Lake Meade. I prefer solutions to problems vs conditioned rationing.

Bought six Valpro "Jerry" cans 20L/5G fuel cans of the new NATO spec and ordered a spout. Once I get the spout I may order more if Amazon (or Valpro) refills their inventory.

I already have 7 of the Eagle brand safety fuel cans, but those are round, therefore are not very space efficient, which is not an issue for me most of the time, but if I am traveling in one of my trucks and want to carry spare fuel, then a rectangular can is much more space efficient and can be stacked. Plus it is easier to carry the Jerry style cans.

I was very impressed with the testing video of the Valpro cans.

NOTE: some (many?) fuel US stations will not fill any non-EPA/CARB fuel container, and some won't fill cans with gasoline if they are not red and/or do not say "gas" or "gasoline" on them. The Valpro cans are mostly green, but can be had in other colors if you can find them.

I bought mine local from an NWFA member, but I found a possible online US source:

One thing I did note: the external finish paint, while OD green, is a gloss finish, not matte.

Last Edited:
A climate hit piece, no mention of the number one reason for less water- population increase since the dam was built, 8 fold in Arizona alone since 1940, from 1/2 million to 8 million. This "might" have an impact on water availability. I guess if we ignore the fact that millions upon millions more people are sucking water out of the same Colorado River, then we can blame the hot summers for evaporating Lake Meade. I prefer solutions to problems vs conditioned rationing.
Regardless of the cause - population and/or drought - this is an issue for preppers.

NOTE: some (many?) fuel US stations will not fill any non-EPA/CARB fuel container, and some won't fill cans with gasoline if they are not red and/or do not say "gas" or "gasoline" on them.
I don't have a good understanding of how this works. In WA, fill-your-own, I just pull up and haul out the red "Jerry style" plastic cans (bought 30 years ago) out of the back of the truck and fill them up. No idea about EPA/CARB compliant. I'm probably breaking 3 or 4 laws with my method, huh? Or maybe it's only a problem in states that deem it necessary to have a professional pump your gas. (funny aside- I've pulled a ski boat most of my life. In OR, they would be so adamant about pumping the gas into my truck, laws and all, but would most gladly hand me the handle to pump the gas into my boat! Same with cans, but I am going back a few decades).

Dry runs and finally achieved a really consistent sub second draw from conceal. Really pleased with that.
Nice. Working on this myself (not dry, see post #9918, lolol). I have also been trying out a belly band, and while ultra-convenient, definitely a "bit" slower to get out. I can't do it one-handed out of the belly band, the only thing I don't like about it.

Nice. Working on this myself (not dry, see post #9918, lolol). I have also been trying out a belly band, and while ultra-convenient, definitely a "bit" slower to get out. I can't do it one-handed out of the belly band, the only thing I don't like about it.
I changed my position which is what prompted the practice today. Much happier with it for a myriad of reasons. I do dry runs pretty constantly to keep my muscle memory keen. Lately it's been working on reloads and mag retention (closed bolt is tougher) and from no ready to target. I've been using 1-2" items at about 10-13' and I've been getting better but no where near where I'd like to be in constancy.

I don't have a good understanding of how this works. In WA, fill-your-own, I just pull up and haul out the red "Jerry style" plastic cans (bought 30 years ago) out of the back of the truck and fill them up. No idea about EPA/CARB compliant. I'm probably breaking 3 or 4 laws with my method, huh? Or maybe it's only a problem in states that deem it necessary to have a professional pump your gas. (funny aside- I've pulled a ski boat most of my life. In OR, they would be so adamant about pumping the gas into my truck, laws and all, but would most gladly hand me the handle to pump the gas into my boat! Same with cans, but I am going back a few decades).
In many states not an issue, in Oregon, it can be an issue. Either way, if there is an attendant, and they feel self important, take their job too seriously or are anal retentive, whatever, they might give you grief. I had a Costco guy refuse to fill a fuel can with gasoline because it wasn't red and didn't say gasoline on it - even though all of the eagle cans are the same, just different colors.

I recall when they were saying don't use your cell phone when pumping gas, and yes, I had an attendant in WA bug me about it.

Getting the chickens situated. Hatched the first clutch. 8 new chicks. PXL_20210712_162818375.jpg

Among other things I just ordered, I ordered 4 "waterproof" soft gun cases - the kind that roll up on the end and most advertise that they float. I also ordered a Pelican clone hard case for $68. three of the waterproof cases are conventional shaped case, and one is a "tactical" long dry bag type that is just flat rectangular and a bit shorter.

My plan is to review these - each one is a different brand IIRC - to see which is ok to use. The soft cases were all in the $27 ea. range for cost. If they seem ok, then I will take 5 of my most valued rifles (I already have a waterproof soft case I bought some time ago), that are in silicone socks, put them in a rust inhibiting sack (I just got some), put those in the water proof soft cases, and put those soft cases in the Pelican clone case and the other two genuine Pelican long cases I already own - for storage. Trying to fit two rifles in each hard case. We'll see.

I might try to use my vacuum seal tools and/or oxygen absorbers to remove as much air as possible from the rust inhibitor bags.

Followup to our new planters. We may have gone a little dense, but they really like the location. Planning on adding at least one more. These won't feed everyone for very long, but we are learning a new skill and trying to use the space we have.

IMG_20210718_140233.jpg

Ordered some First Aid stickers.

As part of my organization effort, I have put all of my house first aid supplies in one bin and put those in a closet (the only place they will all fit in the bin). Now I need to put a first aid sticker on that door so anybody can find it. I will also put these stickers on the FAKs in the vehicles and the shop.

• Ordered a bunch of Dak canned hams to replace those we ate up.
  • Loaded up a few mags. Time off is coming; time for precise revolver shooting and rock'n'roll mag-dumps.
  • Finally got back to preparedness reading. (Large scale water storage, informative. Silencer book from 80s, ever so hilarious.)
  • Bidding on a transferable machine-carbine this evening, but locked in a bidding war. (Wish me luck, amigos.)

Ordered some First Aid stickers.

As part of my organization effort, I have put all of my house first aid supplies in one bin and put those in a closet (the only place they will all fit in the bin). Now I need to put a first aid sticker on that door so anybody can find it. I will also put these stickers on the FAKs in the vehicles and the shop.
This is a really good idea; I will be following you on this. I also want some placarding for fire extinguisher locations. These things can help save valuable seconds when needed most.

9mm day at TCGC action range yesterday. So much fun and not one jam. 124g, 158g subs all fine. HOT sun. Not used to being out in the heat being an workaholic vampire. Favorite 9mm = converted Tavor from 5.56 to 9mm w/ suppressor. Not very many people there at all midday. Range officer said 'who can afford ammo right now?' :(

We harvested some pluots the other day, and my wife has made 24 of these little jars of Pluot Jam.

Does getting fatter count as prepping? I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not just getting old and fat - I'm gaining wisdom, and storing calories!

CF9D9EBB-E96D-44CC-BB89-293C16A4CC4D.jpeg
4FAA65FE-4257-454A-B268-94584CA3CB5B.jpeg

This stuff is dangerously delicious.

Followup to our new planters. We may have gone a little dense, but they really like the location. Planning on adding at least one more. These won't feed everyone for very long, but we are learning a new skill and trying to use the space we have.

View attachment 994630
Looks great! You'll be surprised by how much food can be grown in a small area.

Have you looked into vertical gardening?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top