JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Today I found a shelf stable milk replacement for my cereal. Two of these coffee creamers, diluted 50/50 with water, gave me plenty of "milk" for my bowl of cap'n crunch cereal. A box of 24 creamers was 50 cents or about 2 cents each. That means the shelf stable milk substitute is less than a nickle a bowl. And it provided me with 60 extra calories (30 each serving) for my preservation:)

20210225_112614.jpg

Topping up the battery supply, filling holes in the pantry, setting up the gun room and trying to reorganize assorted prep stuff. The prep stuff has wandered and needs organizing.
I've also been trying to figure out the best molle setup for an old guy. It's generation's different from the old web pistol belt type gear I'm familiar with. :confused:

Topping up the battery supply, filling holes in the pantry, setting up the gun room and trying to reorganize assorted prep stuff. The prep stuff has wandered and needs organizing.
I've also been trying to figure out the best molle setup for an old guy. It's generation's different from the old web pistol belt type gear I'm familiar with. :confused:
I'm going the other way. Totally fed up with all the molle gear and looking to get back to the web gear we had 40 years ago. But it's going for an arm and a leg these days.

Today 02-25-2021......

I opened up some cans of HXP M2 "loose ammo" in cans and clipped them up. To my surprise, I also found some already clipped and in bandoliers. Hummmmm......I must have forgotten about those. :D

Aloha, Mark

OK, Ok, ok.......it was a lot of work to clip up the HXP ammo for the M1 Garand. But....oh sooooo satisfying.

First you gotta gather up the supplies. Gather up some ammo.
IMG-6472.jpg
Open up all those boxes.
IMG-6473.jpg
Bring in the clips. I got these when I lived in Hawaii. No Made in China stuff here.
IMG-6471.jpg
Count out 25 clips. Why? 200 rounds divided by 8 = 25
IMG-6478.jpg
Open the can. Hummm....it's the first time in over X years?
IMG-6474.jpg
Place them into a box so that they will be easier to grab.
IMG-6475.jpg
Start placing the ammo into a clip.
IMG-6484.jpg
This one is done, 8 rounds to a clip. Keep going..... Top round left or right? Who cares?
IMG-6488.jpg
All done 25 clips. And look. Some extra rounds.
IMG-6490.jpg
Place/arrange the ammo back into the can and this one is done.
IMG-6491.jpg
So far, I did 8 cans today. Time for another break, before I have to start up again. :s0115: Yeah....those old arms and hands needs the exercise.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Today I found a shelf stable milk replacement for my cereal. Two of these coffee creamers, diluted 50/50 with water, gave me plenty of "milk" for my bowl of cap'n crunch cereal. A box of 24 creamers was 50 cents or about 2 cents each. That means the shelf stable milk substitute is less than a nickle a bowl. And it provided me with 60 extra calories (30 each serving) for my preservation:)

View attachment 832807
Whats the shelf life on those?

Finally got my backup power set up complete. A few months ago I bought a Generac IQ3500. The other day I just got a Duracell Power source 660. The small Generac will keep the fridge alive and keep the Duracell charged while the Duracell powers other small things inside. The Duracell can also be powered by one of the vehicles if necessary. Got a Wen 30amp/10ga 25 foot extension for the Generac. If it's winter and cold I can run it to the breaker panel and run the gas furnace. These will meet our modest power needs and both are quite portable. Got them both through Costco online because they had the absolute best prices. I could have spent less on the generator but I'm in a tightly packed neighborhood and I wanted something stealthy. I'm done buying crap for a while now I think.

IMG_20210225_125310_526.jpg IMG_20210213_160022_229.jpg

Last Edited:
I got a new hat.

A Stormy Kromer Waxed Rancher hat.

An insulated water resistant ball cap with pull down ear flaps.

51490-75S_2-min__71638.1596544907.png

It has been a rather cool wet winter with temps below 40 many days, not to mention the snow/ice storm we had.

I have some other head gear, but I wanted one I would wear regularly that was water resistant and had ear flaps. I am more or less bald (with thin hair where I do have hair) so my head gets cold easily.

Keeping ones head, feet and hands warm and protected is important.

I got a new hat.

A Stormy Kromer Waxed Rancher hat.

An insulated water resistant ball cap with pull down ear flaps.

View attachment 835770

It has been a rather cool wet winter with temps below 40 many days, not to mention the snow/ice storm we had.

I have some other head gear, but I wanted one I would wear regularly that was water resistant and had ear flaps. I am more or less bald (with thin hair where I do have hair) so my head gets cold easily.

Keeping ones head, feet and hands warm and protected is important.

Looks nice! Comfy?

Looks nice! Comfy?

Yes. Important to get the right size though.

Usually a plain ball cap or knit cap is sufficient, but it rains a LOT here on the mountain (twice as much as in the valley) so having a cap that does get soaked is important.

I have a Filson brimmed waxed hat, but it is wool inside and wool irritates my skin so I don't usually wear it, plus a ball cap fits inside the hood of my hoodie or rain jacket.

I got another nylon shell hat with ear flaps and face mask attachment for XMas (I asked for it), but it is one size fits all, a bit tight on the crown, and I would only wear it for much colder weather. I keep it in the car.

The Rancher hat I intend to wear around the property while working outside.

I thought I was going to get stuck in the snowy woods last week(in a car). I used to keep beef stick, granola bar, etc. in my backpack for emergency, but I hadn't in last year or so.

After this experience, I've decided to store some food in the car itself, but what kind of food can you stash in the car & forget about it? My answer: Freeze dried food. Mountain House to be exact, because you can pour hot water right into the pouch to prepare it. I didn't buy them at Walmart today, because I thought I can find them online cheaper. I was wrong. Their individual price of just under $9 is comparable to the lowest prices you see online. :eek:

I did buy these though:

0.jpg

Ration bars, I'll keep in my backpack & I wouldn't need to rotate every few months like with beef sticks, etc. Spork I always kept in the car, because I like fast food & they come in handy sometimes... but I lost it. You can ignore the zip ties, that's actually for general use, not prepping. lol

This was me last Wed. I think it was near 450 mi round trip? Was kinda fun. I don't get out too often enough.
I have a small group and we all know what we need and take turns making the trip to find supplies. I like meeting people from this website to get supplies. I have met some really interesting people and have learned a reloading trick from almost every one of them

Heading over to the farm to see about keeping an apple variety going.

One of our heirloom variety apple trees got destroyed during construction at the house. I've taken cuttings from it, and hope to get them grafted onto a few other apple trees in the orchard today. If all goes well, we'll have Stark Jumbo apples for generations to come.

EDIT: I got six grafts done. We'll know in a few weeks if they work.

BA1562EF-0F4E-41AE-9E63-9BBD4D01A2BF.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews