JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) Practiced silence and secrecy in regard to my preps.
2) Other stuff.

Oooh!

73A23E01-8526-4E78-A508-7D97A807DC64.jpeg

Filled my second water tank with a hose through an RV filter and treated the water. The first tank can go for two more years before a rotation and the new one for five. I now have 360 gallons of potable water in storage.

Mag pouch purchased on Amazon was delivered:

712H3q9KYXL._AC_SL1031_.jpg

Decent materials and construction. Even holds 30 round AK mags although inserting them catches the catch on the mag, removal is ok.

Costco had some surgical type (not sterilized) face masks for 26¢ each (50/box) so I picked up two boxes - one for me, and one for the kids. If you buy online in quantity from different sources, you can get similar for 16¢ each which is getting back closer to "normal" (pre-pandemic prices were about 5¢ each). Personally, I reuse the same mask - I only use it for about an hour every two weeks when I go into town for groceries/etc., then let it hang from the mirror in my vehicle such that it is exposed to the sun (UV light sanitizes). Now that I have more than a few, I will wait for the prices to go back down to "normal" and then buy a few hundred for the future - just in case.

• Searched, in vain, for .357 Magnum on the Intratubes. Just about everyone is out and those that aren't, the price is simply insane. We have a good supply of .38 Special, but are plumb out of full house .357 Magnum.
  • Out of morbid curiosity, did the same on .44 Magnum and had much better results. We still have enough that I am not concerned, but am considering buying another lot. That cartridge has rapidly become our "do everything" round.
  • Ordered some more Excelsior corned beef. Much like the aforementioned cartridge, it has become a standard, though in that niche, of course.
  • Had blood drawn at Quest Diagnostics for a COVID-19 antibody test. I/we want to know our status for sure, so I just did mine by ordering the test on the Interwebz.

Spent the last couple of days picking up, sweeping up limbs and debris from the windstorm, then pressure washing what was left from the driveway. After it rains I will run the flail mower over some of the firebreaks to chew up the debris there - I don't want to run the mower thru the brush and grass while it is still dry and risk sparking a fire.

I imagine all those debris on the ground didn't help with the fire fighting. Not going to leave them laying around for next time, although I hope there won't be a next time.

Yesterday, my preparedness activity was making friends with a neighbor I hadn't met yet. Traded some fresh produce, talked shop. Turns out he's a fireman. Doesn't actively go out on the trucks anymore, but used to. I mentioned my military service and a few stories. We shared a respectful conversation and noted each others' locations. His daughter is a Portland street protester; it makes him angry and his wife worried sick. I mentioned I'd been down there a few times to observe, and told him that as long as she's with people she trusts and they're not the molotov cocktail or rock throwing type, she's unlikely to run into any permanent trouble. Hopefully that was encouraging to both of them.

When SHTF others might look to isolate and hole up; and I wish them the best. My theory though is that we're better when we're together, and everybody needs allies. I don't advertise my level of preparedness, but I know the look that is shared between two people who recognize each others' value. Mutual respect from those in my immediate community is worth a lot more to me than another firearm.

When SHTF others might look to isolate and hole up; and I wish them the best. My theory though is that we're better when we're together, and everybody needs allies. I don't advertise my level of preparedness, but I know the look that is shared between two people who recognize each others' value. Mutual respect from those in my immediate community is worth a lot more to me than another firearm.

I am fortunate to have good neighbors.

I learned the other day that one of my helpful neighbors used to be a firefighter, and that he was over at the fire last week when it started, fighting it from the outset. That's a good neighbor.

Yesterday, my preparedness activity was making friends with a neighbor I hadn't met yet. Traded some fresh produce, talked shop. Turns out he's a fireman. Doesn't actively go out on the trucks anymore, but used to. I mentioned my military service and a few stories. We shared a respectful conversation and noted each others' locations. His daughter is a Portland street protester; it makes him angry and his wife worried sick. I mentioned I'd been down there a few times to observe, and told him that as long as she's with people she trusts and they're not the molotov cocktail or rock throwing type, she's unlikely to run into any permanent trouble. Hopefully that was encouraging to both of them.

We've been making an active effort to get to know our neighbors better also. So far, mostly anti-Biden folks with guns.

Packed some ammo into the cans from Costco. Going to get some more cans.

Thinking about mounting some of my larger ammo cans (20/40mm) in/on my trucks as tool boxes. Going to see if I can mount a .30 can inside the engine compartment of my big truck.

Yesterday I got my flu shot - large dose (four different strains).

Got the tabs for my big truck - just in time as now I need to get some roofing panels.

I built my self a Berkey water filter system using 2 Berkey black filter elements and a 2 BPA free buckets. Works like a charm and cost less than half of the premade ones of the same capacity.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top