JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just shy of $14 ($13.5 to $14), it makes 3.3 gallons of milk or $4.25 per gallon.

Compare that to what you pay for milk. I pay ~$3 for half a gallon, but that is lactose free milk.

I don't drink much milk - only on my cereal. If it is hot cereal, just enough to cover the top of it, less than half what I use for cold cereal. I think a can of this stuff would last me at least 2 months, probably longer if I was careful to only eat hot cereal, and it is shelf stable (although once you open it it will age faster, but if you use it regularly, even at the low rate I use milk, I am sure it would last long enough it would not spoil before you used all of it).

I found the best way to use it is to mix it up with hot water, maybe even shake it up, then put that in the fridge to cool it down overnight, then it tastes almost just like whole milk, of which it is primarily (it has some soy powder in it).

I don't tolerate skim milk, and I am pretty picky about the milk I have with my cereal, I have used other powdered milk and didn't like those, but this is stuff is almost as good as regular whole milk IMO - although I haven't used any in years, I just keep it for emergencies. I now have four cans of it IIRC. I should probably use the older 2 cans I have had for some time.

YMMV.

Thanks, decent price.

Yah, like NIDO.

Doesn't need anything (vanilla extract etc) to make it tasty, as most regular powdered milks do.

'Course everyone's pallet will be different.

So a couple weeks ago I picked up a couple of things from Army Surplus (Army Surplus Warehouse, Inc.).

Two things preppers might be interested in:

1) DriFire "base layer" shirts. DriFire (DRIFIRE | DRIFIRE FR Military Clothing) is a brand of Fire Resistant clothing made with a "Modacrylic/spandex/polyester/X-static blend" fabric. The idea is to have a fabric similar to polypro, but that won't melt or easily catch on fire when exposed to heat/flame. Also antimicrobial and does not retain odor like polypro.

I've tried these out for about a week and they are ok. Don't retain odor, dry quickly like polypro and so on. Another reason I mentioned these is because buying them new thru regular channels, the clothing is expensive. I searched for a few weeks before I found these surplus/new for under $10 each - usually they are quite a bit more expensive than that.

2) Illumination flare pouches. Turns out these work well for PS90 mags. Better than the SMG pouches I bought last year that you could barely get a mag into.

If you wonder why FR clothing is important to me:

20190426_172414.jpg

Ouch! Be careful when playing with Fire... :s0087:

Yeah - no kidding.

I was working on a slash pile last year. They had all been burnt down to ash by the end of April. Mid June they were still smoking. Almost every day for several months, I would get up at 5-6 AM, load up 5 gallon containers of water, and go pour it on any ash pile that was still smoking or worse, showed flames.

Then I would repeat every evening when I got home from work.

One evening in June I was working on a pile and stepped into the ash - big mistake; it was several feet deep and I fell into the pile which was very hot still, and got burnt. Had to go to the ER. I still have the scars but they have mostly faded, but I can still fill some pain sometimes at my wrist where the blisters show in the pic.

Had I been wearing a long sleeve poly shirt, it would have melted into my skin and removing that would be a LOT more painful. I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. I should have been a LOT more careful.

I am in the process of ordering more FR gear. Just found some fireman's nomex trousers on Sportman's Guide. Looking at nomex/etc. gloves too.

when I moved out of Metropolitan Oregon, the first thing I learned was how to subsistence garden
I learned nothing that the French didn't know since the days of Napoleon, but it was new to me as an urban dweller
we have 3 garden plots, 2 berry patches, herb garden and 6 fruit trees
today I harvested my first potato cage and chard
I use field fence and landscape fabric to build raised cages, which I can put anywhere - I can grow potatoes on a gravel road
here's some photos
I just harvested 19.5 lbs of potatoes from just one of these cages, have 5 more to go

Attachments

• container garden.jpg
    container garden.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 131
  • compost 1.jpg
    compost 1.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 145
  • field fence raised bed.JPG
    field fence raised bed.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 135
  • potato containers.JPG
    potato containers.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 20200717_193919.jpg
    20200717_193919.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 145
  • snow garlic (1).JPG
    snow garlic (1).JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 145
Made 5 transactions today with NWFA denizens (did you know you could only give 3 feedbacks per 24 hrs?).

First one was to sell some "rare" ammo. That funded the rest of what I did today.

Bought some pistol ammo.
Ordered some pistol ammo online (same kind as what I bought today).
^^ These replaced the sold ammo, and then some (~3X the rounds of ammo) - it wasn't as fancy as the ammo I sold, but it is adequate and I made the decision that it was better to have more ammo.

Bought some shotgun ammo - filled a bit of a niche hole in the kind of shotgun ammo I didn't have.
Picked up a vertical gun rack for my truck(s) (it will fit in either one, probably will go in the small truck
Got some free spent brass (thanks NoMad!)
Got a Hazmat suit.

I ran all over the valley today, and it took all afternoon, but I would rather do all that in one trip than multiple trips (which I hate because it is so inefficient).

Not too long after I made my last post here, ALL of the LOCAL (Here in this college town and many of their branches across MT.) bank and credit union lobbies CLOSED UP ALL OVER AGAIN shy of making an appointment for a new account, notary or for a loan. The drive up windows are open.

Some but not all of the local MT banks and not just other ones around the nation are noticing the COIN SHORTAGES. It was on our news. Plus some smaller LOCAL stores don't want CASH SALES any longer according to our local news too. (I don't BUY from them!)

Some banks and credit unions across the country are offering to pay you a little bit more for your COIN than what it is worth. (I am not talking about the OLD silver coins now.) The nationwide Fox - the free OTA channel not the cable one, the nationwide news - ABC, CBS, NBC, and our LOCAL stations are talking about this and have it on their websites.

Costco had their Kirkland POLISH HOT DOGS aka sausages back in their freezers to buy again. My husband was there today - 7-23-2020.

Paper goods between Costco and Walmart are hit and miss - it depends on the day and size of the shopping crowd.

Many Idaho shoppers are in this area on an almost daily basis and not just at the gun/sporting goods stores.

The usual WA, OR and some CA plates - shoppers are around too. Many MT shoppers from other counties are busy shopping here too. Even though many of those county plates - shoppers have the SAME STORES (Big box stores.) as we have here but we have some smaller local stores here too.

Inflation has hit us even harder and I DO notice price increases and so do other people.

AMMO shortages and reloading supplies? Many stores look like a desert with empty shelves and in one store the ONLY reloading powder my husband saw was for shotguns and there was d___ little of that as he said! LOL

We do NOT need anything there (Ammo or reloading stock for him.) but he did pick up a few more boxes of 22wmr ammunition.

There IS or has been another RUN on 22lr BULK BOXES of ammunition in ALL large box stores and in smaller stores here too. Same deal with other common calibers as we have mentioned before. Even some odd ball calibers are not around too.

Some stores did not have ANY 22lr even in the smaller round boxes too!

There have been the more expensive rounds of 22lr available in a FEW stores and a couple of other ammo companies that we do not buy or shoot in SMALLER boxes in a few other stores too. HIT and miss!

My husband said that there are many stores that are LOW IN KNIVES too! Glass cases and on the shelves and hooks. Various brands!

Side note to some of you who may like watermelon. Some of the watermelons have been really good from Costco recently.

Our big local truck garden has not opened yet. They have been in business for several generations and we support them. My MT husband's late parents bought from them too.

Many more events have been cancelled.

People are acting kind of crazy with the mask laws - pros and cons and on one day - my husband said that people were acting like something out of the Twilight Zone. Some of them were really FULL OF ANGER and both sides showed this behavior. He ignored it but they were even strange while driving in their trucks/cars and yelling OUT - waving fists in the air ALL OVER TOWN when our Governor B. started some MORE new mask laws.

There is NO EXCEPTION EVEN WITH A TRUE/PROVEN MEDICAL CONDITION FOR ADULTS according to the newest laws made by Governor B. too.

My husband is usually NOT in crowds unless he shops or if he is on the road to the gym or range in the mountains.

There is PEACE and quiet at the rifle range and at his HUGE gym although the NEWER rules are driving many people AWAY from their DAILY EXERCISE and walks on the HUGE track, the exercise room and the NICE pool.

People did not like the new rules and NOW when you walk from one exercise thing to another - you have to have a MASK ON but not while you are doing your WALK/RUN, SWIM or EXERCISE with NO one SUPER close to you.

They have been taking temps of people since they reopened too. And if you go OUT to your truck and come back inside - another temp is taken even if it is for only a 5 to 10 minute break. If you go out for your own water to drink and sit down for a few minutes in your truck as an example. The water fountains have been closed. Seating is removed - almost all of it - 75 to 80% and if there are SOME SEATS - maybe 2 chairs in various places.

There are many people who will NOT renew their membership or are taking their time off due to the virus mess even if they are NOT sick and are NOT AFRAID of getting sick. The people who LIKE TO EXERCISE and need it even at an older age are SICK and TIRED of all of the newer RULES and the icing on the cake was when you had to have a mask ON from walking to 1 exercise place to another - 2nd exercise place INSIDE of the same HUGE, extremely clean and almost empty building!

It upset my husband. It upset other people and they have NOT come back. It is even more empty NOW even though when he went there PREVIOUSLY (Pre virus bs.) it was usually fairly empty but they had a REGULAR group of senior citizens and some other people of all ages with varied work schedules.

His membership was EXTENDED until the end of the year due to them being CLOSED UP due to the GOVERNOR'S PREVIOUS ORDERS. So he and other people did not lose THEIR money over the previous closure. We always paid on an annual basis and got a discount by doing this. One check and done with it.

Another thing, the closure really bothered people who were USED to being VERY ACTIVE like my husband is even though we are senior citizens. Inside and outside walks, trips to the rifle range, etc. Gopher - Columbia ground squirrel (?) shooting at his friend's huge ranch to help the cattle out. He took his 80 year old friend out to the friend's ranch for a day of gopher shooting, walking and a picnic. The rancher always likes my husband to come out to do that job and for some other ranching things too.

Cate

I spoke with the manager of the grocery store I like to shop at, and asked about the availability of 50lb bags of plain old sea salt. He'll get back to me next week.

If the economy/supply chain just quits someday, salt will be a very valuable thing to have stored away in 55 gallon drums. Not only for us to use, but for barter as well. I plan to store it in 1 gallon Mylar bags.

I spoke with the manager of the grocery store I like to shop at, and asked about the availability of 50lb bags of plain old sea salt. He'll get back to me next week.

If the economy/supply chain just quits someday, salt will be a very valuable thing to have stored away in 55 gallon drums. Not only for us to use, but for barter as well. I plan to store it in 1 gallon Mylar bags.

Cash & carry (smart food warehouse) is another option.

No need to mylar salt, IMO. Doesn't go bad. Will brick up tho.

Just keep it in buckets to keep the moisture at bay. Or in original bags & simply be prepared to break it up when it bricks.

Most of our 'prepping' is taken care of- never enough ammo but that's another story for later.

I'll try to keep this short.

More of a concern is the social environment, stream of media misinformation and movement to disrupt the upcoming election.
There are rumblings - how do I say this-

It's best to be forewarned when to expect, those who benefit by financing social deviants, have planned major events to disrupt or tear America apart.

I will to do my best to prevent that from happening and hope others feel the same.

My oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; has no expiration.

I highly advise all concerned folks take these steps to connect with like-minded individuals.

Also be aware this JUST went live.

All these sites are being updated by the minute with the latest (VETTED) information and are changing as I type.

What I have done & am trying to get the word out on is American Contingency.

Mike Glover (Fieldcraft Survival)
has come off the bench and started American Contingency. –

Google him or watch the interviews on youtube. Credentials are multi-layered & numerous.

Here is the web site (ACP) – America Contingency Platform

America Contingency Platform (ACP). Register to get live information, access to resources, and you will be connected to others in your community to share information, tactics, and coordinate at a local level.

Also a phone app – locals.com https://www.locals.com

Once you are logged on (email verification first) Search for America Contingency –

It should come up as American Contingency

Our mission is to create a class of Americans that are willing to protect and defend themselves, their families, and their communities from violent actors in turbulent times. We are a pro-active class that is PREPARED to MOBILIZE and DEFEND our country from all enemies foreign and domestic.

I recommend following all the media platforms he is on for as long as they allow.

Please help spread the word.

Time to come off the bench - be informed and stay safe.

5 mile ruck with 35lb pack. Was bored.
LOLL
with my artificial knee and severed PCL, I strapped on my articulating knee brace and used a walking stick to walk 1200' to my back fence, rested for 30 min and hobbled back up hill
called it a day and just pulled weeds in my garden until dinner
now, in '69, I could run 5 miles with a 35 lbs pack at 6000' in Colorado!!
Glory Days

• Did 120 push-ups
  • Bought spare gun parts
  • Function-tested spare gun parts
  • Ordered 185,000 calories of dehydrated food from Rainy Day Foods in ID
  • Prayed.that God would reveal to us the genetic code for a CoViD-19 vaccine
  • Scheduled my colonoscopy
  • Ordered 2 spare 14500 batteries
  • Bought a Streamlight Sidewinder II Compact light
  • Restocked the camp boxes as bug-out prep
  • Modified some investments

Upcoming Events