JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stumbled across some (four) P224 10rd 9mm mags on SigTalk for $25 ea, so I bought them.

I can use any 226 or 229 mags in my 224, but these are flush fit and 10 rds therefore legal in non-free states, plus I have no 9mm 224 specific mags, only the cross fit 9mm mags from larger SIGs. I plan to get a 9mm conversion barrel, and one can never have too many mags.

Resource maintenance (food prep, inventory management)
Firearms maintenance
Storage maintenance
Work on preparedness website/blog/instagram I am putting together that focuses mainly on responsible prepping in an urban environment (apartments, neighborhoods etc)
Trying to find new grips for SIG P226 trade in I bought, and looking for a new knife.
Probably going to go with another Rat 1.
Also trying to source supplies for medical kits, mainly hy-fin chest seals and bleed stop.
Getting the house (and myself) ready for my return to work after a few weeks away.

I plan on going to the range later on this week and shooting the CZ 455 Lux in 22lr.

I want to see how I shoot with some of my physical issues in my usual standing up position on the line. I plan to shoot our own paper targets and a few moving metal targets that the range provides. I will proceed from there when it comes to some other decisions.

My husband has been shooting 4 to 5 days a week. He has been going to our range in the mountains.

Thank goodness, his HUGE gym/track/pool/fitness center is finally going to open TODAY (!) with several restrictions. He missed his gym's track, some specific equipment, his retired walking/working out buddies, etc.

Cate

Took the new (to me) truck into the hills to take my family shooting. Great day. Kids are getting more safe, comfortable, and proficient. Wife loves her new Sig and begged to shoot the AR. Time to clean the guns now...

Took the new (to me) truck into the hills to take my family shooting. Great day. Kids are getting more safe, comfortable, and proficient. Wife loves her new Sig and begged to shoot the AR. Time to clean the guns now...

Thank you for sharing!

This is another GOOD shooting post especially when you can share some good family time (Or friend time.) together.

I believe that shooting together or boating/fishing/fill in the blank space for a hobby brings family and friends closer. They can learn how to depend on one another as their skills increase and while they continue to learn more about their hobby.

Cate

Got the hydration bladder i ordered for my eberlstock pack and it fit fine. testing it out now but I think it will be ok, so i might order another for the other side for a total of 2 liters. I have a different system with a water container with a filter built into the line, so I will try that first.

not a lot, but better than nothing and I can load in another liter or two with water bottles.

started digging thru the hard containers I have for my daily driver (which I no longer drive daily as there is no need) and sorting out stuff.

ordered new larger hard containers on sale on amazon, so I am going to reorganize everything.

_nc_ohc=UJIk3ov3KPoAX-Fu6As&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

ran out of room in my main garden, took the Troy Built out and roto tilled another 50' long plot

expecting Sun next week, putting in additional crops

don't care what the planting calendar says, beans and Zucchini are already up

just finished 12 more raspberry bushes

hilled the potatoes up again

tomatoes in 20 gal containers are almost 18" tall, fish fertilized them for the first time

put my access road sign back up "YOU ARE NOW IN RANGE"

Snagged a good deal on 600 rds of .40 defensive ammo

Snagged some hand sanitizer (70% alcohol) at Dollar Tree - they had it at the checkout.

Also got some 70% iso alcohol there - they had a half dozen cases of it in the aisle.

Filled some gas cans so I could replenish the 55 gal drum in the shop which is below half full. At $2.20/gal, now is a good time to stock up. I will be doing that for a while until the drum is full again and the cans are full too. Now that I am unemployed/semi-retired, I am consuming gas running the pressure washer, flail mower and lawn mower - hungry little beasties.

I also picked up a 20# bag of rice and stuffed it in the freezer to kill any hungry beasties in the rice.

Last Edited:
Picked up some yeast at winco. Also 32 of those Nissin chow mein noodle dinners I like - 80 cents ea (I could swear they were 60 cents ea a month or two ago - noticed some food prices going up).

Got some 223/556 ammo - 500 Federal XM855, 460 Federal XM193 on stripper clips and 500 Hornady Vmax. Put all of that into ammo boxes (plastic) and added them to my inventory records. I think I have enough now - about 3700 rds. Going to pickup some steel cased blasting/practice steel cased ammo next week too. Once I get that, I will take out each of my current 556/223 rifles and see which ammo they like, from 55gr to 75gr - two are 1/12, one is 1/9 and another is 1/8 twist.

Now I have what I think is enough self-defense ammo, need to pickup several different hunting ammo chamberings; .45-70, .45LC, .44 mag - harder to find good deals on these.

Picked up some shotgun accessories today, going to try to adapt them to the Shockwave.

Again filled up three 5 gal cans with gas and emptied those into the 55 gal drum. Probably going into town tomorrow to sell ammo so going to get more gas - that should fill it up, and then one more trip next week and I will have about 70 gallons stored in the shop JIC.

I think I am going to use my vacuum food thingy to wrap up some boxes of ammo and put them back into the large ammo box containers. The idea is to reduce the likelihood of moisture getting into the ammo.

I noticed the large plastic ammo boxes of 50 and 30 cal size just don't seal worth a dam when you actually put ammo in them. Better than storing the ammo in a cardboard box, but not optimum.

If you lift them up by the handle, then the lid comes away from the body of the box. MTM seems to be better than the Plano and worst are the boxes I got from Cabelas. I guess you get what you pay for - they would never last in combat. The mil-surp metal cans, even the cheap non-mil-spec ones, are a lot better in that regard - albeit twice as expensive (and more than twice as good).

Sold some ball ammo to fund buying expanding ammo.

Inventoried some ammo - maybe going to sell it if I sell the rifle it is for. Still thinking about that.

My four MTM containers were delivered yesterday.

Mowed some grass to reduce fire danger.

Got 15 more gallons of gasoline. I think that will finally fillup the 55 gal drum. Then I will just get ten more gallons to keep the 5 gal containers full for property use. The flail mower uses 1 gallon per hour. Ditto with the pressure washer and lawn mower.

Putting in a slightly larger garden than usual. Slowly replenishing items that I used during the past few weeks of quarantine, and getting the place in better order should there be a second go around of C-19.

Mowing the tall grass around the house while it is green and not hot. Fewer bugs, less mess - reducing the fire danger. Been a wet spring so the grass is almost as tall as I am - the ferns/etc. are too and very thick. With 2020 being what it is, the next thing we might see is a bad wildfire season?

Almost have the 55 gallon drum filled with gasoline. I think it may take 5 more gallons. One more trip to the gas station today after I pickup some 20 ga and 556 ammo from NWFA members. Then I will come back and do some more mowing. Since it is nice today I may take the time to go see the back acreage. Been cutting down the Scotch broom - that is a real fire danger and noxious weed. Had some large ones this year. Going to have to paint their trunks with Crossbow to kill it - cutting it won't do it.

Not just today, but an ongoing education in canning. So far we have canned;

WP_20200605_010.jpg

Top row L to R: Raspberry jam, Blackberry jam, Cherries (eatin', not pie), Tomato sauce, Mangoes, Hamburger, Taco-seasoned hamburger, Chinese pepper steak, Chicken thighs, Chicken breast with Italian seasoning, and Razor clams.

Bottom row L to R: Apple sauce, Pickled Jerusalem artichokes, Bacon (yes you can!!), Mango nectar, Pasta,* Rice*, Oats*, Cereal*, Hamburger soup, Chicken soup, Chili, and Chicken legs.

*Dry canned in the oven. Not real canning but part of the learning process.

My husband cleaned his rifles. He reloaded for a couple of rifles too. One hundred rounds for one and another 50 rounds for another one.

He mowed and kept up our fire mitigation which we do on a regular basis.

I have to work in the garage on Saturday.

I did get a bunch of paperwork done on Thursday and Friday. I worked on it on and off.

He cooked a big pot of Cajun rice, chicken, etc. too.

I rotated our food in the pantry which I do on a regular basis too.

I want to move a bit of furniture around with his help too.

Old Lady Cate

Not just today, but an ongoing education in canning. So far we have canned;

View attachment 706687

Top row L to R: Raspberry jam, Blackberry jam, Cherries (eatin', not pie), Tomato sauce, Mangoes, Hamburger, Taco-seasoned hamburger, Chinese pepper steak, Chicken thighs, Chicken breast with Italian seasoning, and Razor clams.

Bottom row L to R: Apple sauce, Pickled Jerusalem artichokes, Bacon (yes you can!!), Mango nectar, Pasta,* Rice*, Oats*, Cereal*, Hamburger soup, Chicken soup, Chili, and Chicken legs.

*Dry canned in the oven. Not real canning but part of the learning process.

Outstanding!

All of it looks yummy too.

Cate

Mowing the tall grass around the house while it is green and not hot. Fewer bugs, less mess - reducing the fire danger. Been a wet spring so the grass is almost as tall as I am - the ferns/etc. are too and very thick. With 2020 being what it is, the next thing we might see is a bad wildfire season?

Almost have the 55 gallon drum filled with gasoline. I think it may take 5 more gallons. One more trip to the gas station today after I pickup some 20 ga and 556 ammo from NWFA members. Then I will come back and do some more mowing. Since it is nice today I may take the time to go see the back acreage. Been cutting down the Scotch broom - that is a real fire danger and noxious weed. Had some large ones this year. Going to have to paint their trunks with Crossbow to kill it - cutting it won't do it.
I hate scotch broom with a passion. Cutting it stunts it but you need to pull it up and burn it. Once it seeds your looking at those coming back regularly. I do a walk around the yard every year to pull them up. Like I'm fighting a losing battle with the neighbors doing nothing to keep it under control. I have noticed it doesn't grow in dense forest areas, it needs sun.
Now I'm fighting dandelions. Couple thousand pulled and another 10k plus to get rid of. Fighting stuff naturally is tough.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top