JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sunday and Monday:

Ran the generator.

Topped off the gas cans.

Bought extra water to keep on hand. Two cases from Costco. My MT husband did the Costco running and lifting.

Double checked and cleaned his breathing machine.

Checked the water filter system and filters.

Filled up some large bottles of water in gallon jugs to keep on hand for emergencies and for traveling. Hand washing/rinsing.

I stocked up on extra bars of soap and liquid dish soap. I keep a medium to large tub of ORIGINAL Ivory Soap - plain, Dr. Bronner's - Baby Mild, Peppermint and Tea Tree soap and a bit of Zest on hand. I like Original Zest to clean eyeglasses. The Dr. Bronner's soap in the orange - citrus is a good multi purpose bar to clean the house in some things too. NOT just for your body or hair in a pinch. ADDED more here. I can use a bar of soap, if needed, to make a laundry detergent or to wash dishes too.

Stocked up and rotated food, coffee, tea and paper products in the pantry.

Rotated frozen meat and frozen vegetables.

Moved some large cuts of meat out of the large chest freezer. My husband will cut this up for me. We will cook some large BEEF roasts and use some of it for stews and soup.

Bought some extra Idaho potatoes and carrots.

Baked some extra sweet potatoes for the rest of the week. Finished up that bag of produce.

Tuesday:

I shredded some more papers, cleaned out the files a bit more and some papers in a filing tub (Not the steel metal cabinet.), double checked some things for early tax preparation and anything related for Federal and Montana state taxes. I pay this in December not in January if I need to make a final quarter payment.

Paid ahead - EXTRA on some of our regular utility bills. The real estate taxes are paid in full. We have no other bills or payments other than when the insurance is due for the vehicles and for the house.

I got some more donations for the public library together. We don't take any deductions off for a Church, a few charities or for the food bank so my husband can just drop them in the proper slot out in front of the libarary.

A few weeks ago, we updated our wills and poa papers.

Tuesday evening:

I contacted the one hospice person, not the actual caregivers, down in FL regarding my older sister and she should get back to me in the morning. I talked to an EX BIL down in FL too.

I have my husband's Rx medicines bought a bit ahead of time too. I don't take anything but Bayer aspirin and a multi vitamin/mineral.

I double checked the dates on the Vick's Vapor Rub, OTC Visine, first aid supplies for wounds, etc.

I double checked all of the extra freshly laundered clothing that I keep set aside if I can't run a washer for a time frame or hand wash needed socks/undies.

ALL of the extra supplies in linens - sheets, blankets and towels are caught up in case we go without power even though we have a generator, etc. and do not live in the boonies as I used to do but may do AGAIN.

Batteries are up to date and rotated. We have an extra German wind up and battery powered radio too.

My husband went to our range, shot his CCW handgun, cleaned it, loaded it and came home on Tuesday. He did not stay out there long.

I have one HIGH ceiling light bulb that needs to be changed and my husband is doing that for me so I don't have to hold something, unscrew a finial while standing on a ladder and go up and down after I wash/rinse/dry the GLASS. Been there - done that in the past. He can do it for me since I am not alone.

I am catching up on the news and some radio shows online now in the wee hours.

Cate
Added more and typos.

Wonder if the breathing machine would work off of a battery UPS?

Would seem quieter than running a generator all night, and a UPS would likely be able to charge off a generator during the day while using the gen for other functions.

Just thinking aloud.

Wonder if the breathing machine would work off of a battery UPS?

Would seem quieter than running a generator all night, and a UPS would likely be able to charge off a generator during the day while using the gen for other functions.

Just thinking aloud.

My husband uses an inverter and a deep cell battery to hook up his breathing machine when we camp. It works fine. He could use this in the house if needed.

This is his second inverter and I forgot the name brand now. He has a newer battery too.

Is that what you mean for a battery UPS? Or is a battery UPS a specific type of battery? Is it like what I always called a DEEP cell battery?

I looked up what you wrote for that name and I do not know exactly what it means or is? What brand name is the best for this type product?

This is from a search online:

What are UPS batteries used for?

A battery backup, or uninterruptible power supply (UPS), is primarily used to provide a backup power source to important desktop computer hardware components. May 16, 2019

Thank you.

Cate
Typo

Last Edited:
My husband uses an inverter and a deep cell battery to hook up his breathing machine when he camp. It works fine. He could use this in the house if needed.

This is his second inverter and I forgot the name brand now. He has a newer battery too.

Is that what you mean for a battery UPS? Or is a battery UPS a specific type of battery? Is it like what I always called a DEEP cell battery?

I looked up what you wrote for that name and I do not know exactly what it means or is? What brand name is the best for this type product?

This is from a search online:

What are UPS batteries used for?

A battery backup, or uninterruptible power supply (UPS), is primarily used to provide a backup power source to important desktop computer hardware components. May 16, 2019

Thank you.

Cate

The inverter / deep cycle battery he has is likely far better than a UPS he could buy at comparative price. Nice thinking!

UPS is just a battery backup prepackaged system, normally for computers.

Usually they have a few batteries, plus a surge protector/cut out, but not normally as good of power as a deep cycle (boat/rv) battery would be.

Nice feature of them is not having to do anything for short term outages. They plug in between standard power outlet & whatever. When power goes out/surges, they "take over". Short term solution tho, & depends on the power consumption of what they are connected to.

Sunday and Monday:

Ran the generator.

Topped off the gas cans.

Bought extra water to keep on hand. Two cases from Costco. My MT husband did the Costco running and lifting.

Double checked and cleaned his breathing machine.

Checked the water filter system and filters.

Filled up some large bottles of water in gallon jugs to keep on hand for emergencies and for traveling. Hand washing/rinsing.

I stocked up on extra bars of soap and liquid dish soap. I keep a medium to large tub of ORIGINAL Ivory Soap - plain, Dr. Bronner's - Baby Mild, Peppermint and Tea Tree soap and a bit of Zest on hand. I like Original Zest to clean eyeglasses. The Dr. Bronner's soap in the orange - citrus is a good multi purpose bar to clean the house in some things too. NOT just for your body or hair in a pinch. ADDED more here. I can use a bar of soap, if needed, to make a laundry detergent or to wash dishes too.

Stocked up and rotated food, coffee, tea and paper products in the pantry.

Rotated frozen meat and frozen vegetables.

Moved some large cuts of meat out of the large chest freezer. My husband will cut this up for me. We will cook some large BEEF roasts and use some of it for stews and soup.

Bought some extra Idaho potatoes and carrots.

Baked some extra sweet potatoes for the rest of the week. Finished up that bag of produce.

Tuesday:

I shredded some more papers, cleaned out the files a bit more and some papers in a filing tub (Not the steel metal cabinet.), double checked some things for early tax preparation and anything related for Federal and Montana state taxes. I pay this in December not in January if I need to make a final quarter payment.

Paid ahead - EXTRA on some of our regular utility bills. The real estate taxes are paid in full. We have no other bills or payments other than when the insurance is due for the vehicles and for the house.

I got some more donations for the public library together. We don't take any deductions off for a Church, a few charities or for the food bank so my husband can just drop them in the proper slot out in front of the libarary.

A few weeks ago, we updated our wills and poa papers.

Tuesday evening:

I contacted the one hospice person, not the actual caregivers, down in FL regarding my older sister and she should get back to me in the morning. I talked to an EX BIL down in FL too.

I have my husband's Rx medicines bought a bit ahead of time too. I don't take anything but Bayer aspirin and a multi vitamin/mineral.

I double checked the dates on the Vick's Vapor Rub, OTC Visine, first aid supplies for wounds, etc.

I double checked all of the extra freshly laundered clothing that I keep set aside if I can't run a washer for a time frame or hand wash needed socks/undies.

ALL of the extra supplies in linens - sheets, blankets and towels are caught up in case we go without power even though we have a generator, etc. and do not live in the boonies as I used to do but may do AGAIN.

Batteries are up to date and rotated. We have an extra German wind up and battery powered radio too.

My husband went to our range, shot his CCW handgun, cleaned it, loaded it and came home on Tuesday. He did not stay out there long.

I have one HIGH ceiling light bulb that needs to be changed and my husband is doing that for me so I don't have to hold something, unscrew a finial while standing on a ladder and go up and down after I wash/rinse/dry the GLASS. Been there - done that in the past. He can do it for me since I am not alone.

I am catching up on the news and some radio shows online now in the wee hours.

Cate
Added more and typos.
Nothing but Kirk's Castille soap for me. Started using it due to hard well water. Almost thirty years now.

Another 4 weeks of Patriot Supply just got delivered. I also made a list a couple weeks ago for all the unfinished safe projects, then took advantage of black Friday and cyber Monday. Stuff is starting to trickle in.
Also put a new set of tires on the AWD work car. Put on over 3000 miles in the last 10 days. Only snow it's seen so far is my driveway :s0114:.

Nothing but Kirk's Castille soap for me. Started using it due to hard well water. Almost thirty years now.

I have that in the house too. I forgot to mention it. Not as much as my other brands posted above though. Maybe 8 bars. My husband likes to use it on and off at the kitchen sink. I rarely ever use it any longer.

I had a water softener with my well water, back east, even though my water was not that hard. But it was harder than what I was used to using. My late husband and I put one in about 3 months after we built our house. Early 70's.

The water out west is much harder even with city or small town water compared to the Great Lakes region (Super rural.) and on the East Coast that I was used to using.
I put a water softener in this house when I built it. The well water that I had way, way up in the Sapphire Mountains in the tiny log cabin and when I camped was very, very hard. It was ALWAYS ICE COLD but it was very hard.

Take care.

Cate

I love hard water for the taste and ability to rinse the soap off in the shower. Soft water tastes funny, especially water that has been artificially softened. The only drawback to having normal water with minerals in it - hard water, is keeping the shower doors and faucets clean. We have non-metallic piping, so we don't have to worry about the piping getting plated with minerals.

Prior to that we had cheap Korean galvanized pipe. After 30 years, 3/4 inch pipe became 1/2 ID or less in most places. After a 600 foot run, running more than one hose at flow and pressure was impossible. I now have 1 1/4 inch PVC. Lots of water now.

Picked up another Ruger 10-22 to keep behind the seat of the truck with a couple 25 round Butler Creek mags. Also bought another pair of 27 round Magpul mags for the Ruger PC9MM. Those mags are excellent for the Ruger and the local Impact Guns has them for $20.15.

MVIMG_20191224_104612.jpg

Ordered some Otis bore sticks (help prevent bore corrosion during storage).

Replaced a carbon monoxide detector in the house and put one in the shop.

Tried out the space heater in the shop.

Fixed and improved lighting in the shop, cleaned a small area there. Still a lot more to do.

The inverter / deep cycle battery he has is likely far better than a UPS he could buy at comparative price. Nice thinking!

UPS is just a battery backup prepackaged system, normally for computers.

Usually they have a few batteries, plus a surge protector/cut out, but not normally as good of power as a deep cycle (boat/rv) battery would be.

Nice feature of them is not having to do anything for short term outages. They plug in between standard power outlet & whatever. When power goes out/surges, they "take over". Short term solution tho, & depends on the power consumption of what they are connected to.

A good UPS is more than a battery backup. The consumer ones switch over to the AC inverter, but the inverter may or may not be sine wave, which can cause problems. A UPS also usually has some battery conditioning logic in it and usually batteries made for deeper cycle than an automotive starting battery.

Much more expensive UPSes supply conditioned power continuously with a switchover so that there is no interruption when the power goes out. Some server rooms now run totally on DC power - more efficient as long as the run is short and the computers/etc. are less expensive without the AC/DC power supplies.

I love hard water for the taste and ability to rinse the soap off in the shower. Soft water tastes funny, especially water that has been artificially softened. The only drawback to having normal water with minerals in it - hard water, is keeping the shower doors and faucets clean. We have non-metallic piping, so we don't have to worry about the piping getting plated with minerals.

Prior to that we had cheap Korean galvanized pipe. After 30 years, 3/4 inch pipe became 1/2 ID or less in most places. After a 600 foot run, running more than one hose at flow and pressure was impossible. I now have 1 1/4 inch PVC. Lots of water now.

It depends on the minerals; calcium will collect on plastic surfaces as easily as metal and the buildup is faster. Hard calcium (there are different kinds) is very hard to remove too, especially when it comes from hot water - damn near impossible. DAMHIK.

For those of you that lay in cans of ammo be advised if you never open them the projected min life is 125 years on military ammo cans. Once opened the projected life is 75 years. This info to to me by a former ammo engineer from Frankford Arsenal.

For those of you that lay in cans of ammo be advised if you never open them the projected min life is 125 years on military ammo cans. Once opened the projected life is 75 years. This info to to me by a former ammo engineer from Frankford Arsenal.

In 75 years neither I nor my daughter will be alive to worry about it. I doubt I will be around in 25 years.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top