JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We spent all weekend finishing up the security and irrigation for the garden before we leave for a long weekend to Banff.

We are both beat and looked forward to work today so we could rest 🤣

So after several trips to the local ACE and Murdoch's (like North 40 for you Idaho peeps), we got the fencing completed and a drip/sprinkler system installed in the garden. It's set up for what we have planted at this time. I have room to add on, which I will do when we return from our trip, but there's no rush. We are both pretty beat and looking forward to some R&R now that the weather is nice.

To give you a perspective, when we arrived home in late March, there was no fence, just some makeshift fencing at the ends of the hoop house that we gerry-rigged from some old field fencing that was left on the property when we purchased it last summer. Only two of the long beds on the left had soil and the one on the far left was only half full. We raised the bed on the center-right, built the exterior beds, put down a weed barrier and metal rabbit wire along the bottoms, and added dirt to one of them.

We built the entire fence except for the side next to the house that is only 4' instead of 6'. Installed 5 gates because we were tired of walking all the way around from the shop. Installed the irrigation. I also installed irrigation in my front flower/perennial beds yesterday. We've done all of this in a little over two months, in addition to the planting of 12 trees, 3 of which are fruit trees. No water to them quite yet. We'll only be gone for 5 days, so a good soaking the day before will suffice.

Remote battery-powered timer. I've had good luck with these units in the past, so they will work for a year or two until we get some valves hard-piped in.
IMG_4828.jpg

The climbing wire is newly installed this season also. We still have one more panel to go, but it can wait a few weeks.

IMG_4829.jpg

The two beds on the left were there last year and I experimented with some beans, lettuce and tomatoes. The zucchini did not like the greenhouse last year, so they are going outside. We moved in mid-July, so I didn't plant anything until August, but we did get some stuff out of it. The bed on the far-right has metal mesh in it, just waiting on soil.

IMG_4830.jpg

Strawberries are happy and zucchini and cucumbers are popping up. These beds that are laid down are ready for soil, the one on its end needs some metal and weed barrier. Next season, when I have more money, I will put some DG or glacier chips down around the whole exterior section. I don't care for the large gravel inside.

IMG_4831.jpg

Our three little fruit trees. Two different apples and one dwarf apricot. I have room to put a couple more, but my husband doesn't like peaches, I don't care for pears, and cherries take too much work to process, but we are in cherry country.

IMG_4832.jpg

Last Edited:
Room to grow on the other side, but I want herbs and flowers over here because it's in view of the deck.

IMG_4833.jpg

View from the northeast. Yes, we are storing the kayaks in the hoop house until we take the trailer to the dump. The dump trailer is also our kayak-hauling trailer. I can't get over how great the fence looks. He over-engineers everything but I can't complain because it always ends up looking spectacular!

IMG_4835.jpg

The lumber for the beds is milled a mile from us and was pretty affordable.

Last Edited:
It'll work fine for that and be lower maintenance than a gas-powered unit. The higher GPM units make a quicker job of it but you're not doing this often. Just use it right away so if something's wrong you can make use of the warrantee.
Now I'm working on the hardscape and garden. All of a sudden my in-laws are buying plants and putting it up front in the zen hardscape. It started with 3 and now its 20. I told my wife this is not a part of the plan and design I wanted in the front yard. I spent alot of time and money importing those cream gravel from another country because we don't have that in the US. That's was a 3 months project we did including all the red bricks I did back 8 years ago. My wife took it very hard because she wants to please her mom (my in-laws), but not me. I told her I don't think I should be going to someones else's house including relatives and making a decisions on my own how I want things. These are the reasons why I'm very independent if you catch my drift..:s0092:

Last Edited:
Where do you guys bring the old coolant? I'm about to flush my grocery-getter and O'reileys wont take it...
They should have known about this.

Now I'm working on the hardscape and garden. All of a sudden my in-laws are buying plants and putting it up front in the zen hardscape. It started with 3 and now its 20. I told my wife this is not a part of the plan and design I wanted in the front yard. I spent alot of time and money importing those cream gravel from another country because we don't have that in the US. That's was a 3 months project we did including all the red bricks I did back 8 years ago. My wife took it very hard because she wants to please her mom (my in-laws), but not me. I told her I don't think I should be going to someones else's house including relatives and making a decisions on my own how I want things. These are the reasons why I'm very independent if you catch my drift..:s0092:
Oh, it's time to put your foot down. This is an old American tradition. We have a saying "A man's house is his castle." It's probably not unique to the U.S., but it means a lot to us. Nobody, no matter how dear to your wife, gets to mess with your landscaping, decorating, paint, furniture, pets, children etc. They better be careful even criticizing anything. This is an absolute no, and they'd better find a place for the 20 plants if they don't want them in the garbage.

Oh, it's time to put your foot down. This is an old American tradition. We have a saying "A man's house is his castle." It's probably not unique to the U.S., but it means a lot to us. Nobody, no matter how dear to your wife, gets to mess with your landscaping, decorating, paint, furniture, pets, children etc. They better be careful even criticizing anything. This is an absolute no, and they'd better find a place for the 20 plants if they don't want them in the garbage.
Boy talk about experience.. You nailed it on the money!
Me and my wife are always on the same page. Besides being married for a long time, we've known each other much earlier than puberty. Like what I mention we never ever had a misunderstanding or a fight. As far as I remember it was only once and that was 6 years ago when we were buying our 2nd property. After the long planning and finally found the one we want, she ask me if I should apply on the loan by myself. I was thinking to myself, hmm why would she say that? I just ignored it, went ahead and did that anyway, Then we got the property. After a year I found out that my in-laws borrowed a substantial amount cash and used her credit. My point is.. "Why am I the last person to know about this?" My wife haven't done anything like this before. She took it hard that we had a serious mis-understanding about this. I told her that my point is I thought she was with me instead it felt like being singled out. Later on she said it will never happen again. It looks like were entering that same anomaly for the 2nd time.
9 years ago when my dad was still alive, I did almost everything he wants and needs. When it came to a point that he wants to buy a last big property and he is entrusting me to take over. The only thing he is asking is don't let his 2nd wife and family to be left out. I love my dad so much but I could not answer that part. I have my wife as my main primary ties and I cannot put her in jeopardy on any future stakes or entanglement. Knowing it was a hard decision to please my dads last request but I believe I did the right thing. The last thing I don't want to do is having someone other than me and here signing legal papers in our house and her not knowing whats it all about......
Thanks man. I always knew we were gonna be buddies..
Bullbubblegum.gif

Last Edited:
Boy talk about experience.. You nailed it on the money!
Me and my wife are always on the same page. Besides being married for a long time, we've known each other earlier than puberty. Like what I mention we never ever had a misunderstanding or a fight. As far as I remember it was only once and that was 6 years ago when we were buying our 2nd property. After the long planning and finally found the one that we want, she ask me if I should apply on the loan by myself. I was thinking to myself, hmm why would she say that? I just ignored it, went ahead and did that anyway, Then got the property. After a year I sound out that my in-laws borrowed a substantial amount cash and used her credit. My point is.. "Why am I the last person to know about this?" My wife haven't done anything like this before. She took it hard and we had a serious mis-understanding about this. I told her that my point is I thought she was with me and I felt like being singled out. Later on she said it will never happen again. It looks like were entering that same road for the 2nd time.
9 years ago when my dad was still alive, I did almost everything he wants and needs. When it came to a point that he wants to buy a last big property and he is entrusting me to take over. The only thing he is asking is don't let his 2nd wife be left out. I love my dad so much but I could not answer that part. I have my wife as my main primary and I cannot put here in any future stakes or entanglement. Even I knew it was a hard decision to please my dads last request but I believe I did it right. The last thing I don't want to do is having someone other than me and here signing legal papers in our house and her not knowing whats it all about......
Thanks man. I always knew we were gonna be buddies..
View attachment 1897948
Reminds me of the time (I was 17) my father bought a pickup and then (more or less) told me it was mine and I was expected to pay him the cost of buying it. I told him no. It pissed me off that he bought a vehicle without asking me If I wanted it, much less wanted that particular vehicle. We went back and forth on it for months. He finally won out - but yeah, I don't like others making commitments for me.

Along those lines, if I "hook up" again (unlikely - but you never know) with some lady, I will make it clear that my assets go to my daughter and no one else. Same for hers - if she has any. I've worked 50 years to get where I am, and my daughter was always my main commitment. I've had two women try to worm their way into my life thinking I would provide for them so they could live in luxury and control me (one bragged about it to her family, and it got back to me) - so I have trust issues in that regard.

We spent all weekend finishing up the security and irrigation for the garden before we leave for a long weekend to Banff.

We are both beat and looked forward to work today so we could rest 🤣

So after several trips to the local ACE and Murdoch's (like North 40 for you Idaho peeps), we got the fencing completed and a drip/sprinkler system installed in the garden. It's set up for what we have planted at this time. I have room to add on, which I will do when we return from our trip, but there's no rush. We are both pretty beat and looking forward to some R&R now that the weather is nice.

To give you a perspective, when we arrived home in late March, there was no fence, just some makeshift fencing at the ends of the hoop house that we gerry-rigged from some old field fencing that was left on the property when we purchased it last summer. Only two of the long beds on the left had soil and the one on the far left was only half full. We raised the bed on the center-right, built the exterior beds, put down a weed barrier and metal rabbit wire along the bottoms, and added dirt to one of them.

We built the entire fence except for the side next to the house that is only 4' instead of 6'. Installed 5 gates because we were tired of walking all the way around from the shop. Installed the irrigation. I also installed irrigation in my front flower/perennial beds yesterday. We've done all of this in a little over two months, in addition to the planting of 12 trees, 3 of which are fruit trees. No water to them quite yet. We'll only be gone for 5 days, so a good soaking the day before will suffice.

Remote battery-powered timer. I've had good luck with these units in the past, so they will work for a year or two until we get some valves hard-piped in.
View attachment 1896791

The climbing wire is newly installed this season also. We still have one more panel to go, but it can wait a few weeks.

View attachment 1896792

The two beds on the left were there last year and I experimented with some beans, lettuce and tomatoes. The zucchini did not like the greenhouse last year, so they are going outside. We moved in mid-July, so I didn't plant anything until August, but we did get some stuff out of it. The bed on the far-right has metal mesh in it, just waiting on soil.

View attachment 1896793

Strawberries are happy and zucchini and cucumbers are popping up. These beds that are laid down are ready for soil, the one on its end needs some metal and weed barrier. Next season, when I have more money, I will put some DG or glacier chips down around the whole exterior section. I don't care for the large gravel inside.

View attachment 1896794

Our three little fruit trees. Two different apples and one dwarf apricot. I have room to put a couple more, but my husband doesn't like peaches, I don't care for pears, and cherries take too much work to process, but we are in cherry country.

View attachment 1896795
Beautiful Greenhouse!
I like your setup and its giving me lots of knowledgeable idea on how to grow my tomatoes being first timer. I'm sucker for tomatoes and I eat lots of them including making scratch spaghetti. I really want to try this what they call pineapple tomatoes so I got me 3 and 3 heirlooms and the rest are other exotic tomatoes. Man this thing is growing so fast. I just had in on a 5 gallon aerated fabric pot. If I can get 3 real good ones out of these 10, I'd be okay. But it these 9 or 10 all grows well, that is great! Should I buy like a small 10 footer sunshade like this for the tomatoes?
Thanks
1718208884417.jpeg

1718208075419.png

Went down and tested the tractor for a couple hours till I lost daylight, seems the coolant flush helped, and got the yard a bit bigger clearing out another large section....

dji_fly_20240527_185640_378_1716861428303_photo_optimized.jpg dji_fly_20240612_205938_494_1718251192032_photo_optimized.jpg

So,

Every Time I have a conversation with my good friend @Flopsweat, it seems that I wind up Buying Something that I had Not Intended To Beforehand. :)

Anyway,

After our last conversation, where we attempted to Solve All The World's Problems, but then suddenly came to the Cold Realization that in All Probablilty the End is Near,

I decided that I needed to Buy a Generator.

And I found something that fits my budget, at Tractor Supply Company.

It Arrived Today, and So I now invite You All to Live Vicariously through me during the Great UNBOXING:

P1.jpg

I Utilized my Spyderco Native First Generation Blue Ridge Knives Commemorative Edition to Do the Honors:

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

Here's a View from The Business End...

P5.jpg

Here's All the SH*T That Comes With It:

P6.jpg

Really Like it So Far. Haven't USED it yet, Tho. o_O

It's Dual Fuel, So Planning to use Propane with it probably.

BUT, Will Go to WallyMart Tomorrow and Get the $16.99 Fuel Suction Siphon Pump to Keep With It, JIC.

So,

Every Time I have a conversation with my good friend @Flopsweat, it seems that I wind up Buying Something that I had Not Intended To Beforehand. :)

Anyway,

After our last conversation, where we attempted to Solve All The World's Problems, but then suddenly came to the Cold Realization that in All Probablilty the End is Near,

I decided that I needed to Buy a Generator.

And I found something that fits my budget, at Tractor Supply Company.

It Arrived Today, and So I now invite You All to Live Vicariously through me during the Great UNBOXING:

View attachment 1900453

I Utilized my Spyderco Native First Generation Blue Ridge Knives Commemorative Edition to Do the Honors:

View attachment 1900454

View attachment 1900455

View attachment 1900456

View attachment 1900457

View attachment 1900458

BUT, Will Go to WallyMart Tomorrow and Get the $16.99 Fuel Suction Siphon Pump to Keep With It, JIC.

We talked about the new Colt Python too. Anything else you want to tell us? :D

So,

Every Time I have a conversation with my good

View attachment 1900455

BUT, Will Go to WallyMart Tomorrow and Get the $16.99 Fuel Suction Siphon Pump to Keep With It, JIC
As a person who has had an earlier version, not a duel fuel, and 2 of those generators, they both died in a short time frame, engines run but the don't generate power...

Hope they did better with these newer ones...

Going back to growing tomatoes. What would you guys recommend for sunshade/green house "blocking percentage %" for the plants are in Newberg.
Thanks H..
I don't think tomatoes need to be blocked from the sun. I have mine in the hoop house for warmth, not to protect them from the sun. We're in NW Montana, so our last frost is usually around mother's day. It's been down to the mid-30s a couple of nights since and last night it was 40°F, so it's still relatively cool. I've grown them outdoors before, but at that time the house blocked them from the late afternoon sun. Last year, my tomato plants got over 7' tall. Of course, you can prune them, but if you get that shade cloth, be prepared to do so. Will they get any shade at all where you plan to grow them, like a nearby tree or fence? If so, I think they will be fine providing they don't get a torrential downpour or heavy wind. I don't think they would appreciate hot, 100°F summer sun for 10+ hours, but they do like 6-8 hours of direct sunlight. This year, I have 8 plants and 4 varieties, all heirlooms, but it's been very cool here, and they are just now starting to take off. So I'm excited to see how they turn out, especially now that they will have consistent water.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

New Classified Ads

Back Top