JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
  • Finally wrapped up the various woodpiles. We have plenty of well seasoned wood for the coming cold and wet.
  • Checked all the fuel levels. I need to pickup more non-ethanol gasoline tomorrow because it is almost out. But everything else (e.g., propane, kerosene, firewood, etc.) looks good.
  • Checked the chainsaws.
  • Picked more canned goods.
  • Did some target practice with a revolver and a CAR-15 type carbine.

CountryGent:
I'm harvesting part of my Locust forest. Got 3+ cords newly fallen, plus smattering of massive wild cherry & 100' Port Orchard cedar trimmings.
Hooray for the DR inertial electric splitter now on it's 5th season of quiet & most rapid ram stroke. Maybe I'll splurge & get it a special solar panel of its own...

Already got ample stock of seasoned oak, ash & fir tucked away. No wonder I
missed my range time this week....

Picked up one of these, not at that price though, going to pack it with some of my freeze dried goods and more goodies to store in the car for road trips as a backup...

Screenshot_20221014-200105_Chrome.jpg

CountryGent:
I'm harvesting part of my Locust forest. Got 3+ cords newly fallen, plus smattering of massive wild cherry & 100' Port Orchard cedar trimmings.
Hooray for the DR inertial electric splitter now on it's 5th season of quiet & most rapid ram stroke. Maybe I'll splurge & get it a special solar panel of its own...

Already got ample stock of seasoned oak, ash & fir tucked away. No wonder I
missed my range time this week....
Very nice! (One of these days I really need to acquire a splitter. I split it all with a maul.)

Very nice! (One of these days I really need to acquire a splitter. I split it all with a maul.)
Same here for the most part. I try to stay away from anything with a diameter I don't think I could split with a maul/splitting axe. My neighbor has a 25 ton splitter though and I've helped him out enough to know that it makes splitting the big rounds a far sight easier. We worked a fir this year that was every bit of 4 foot across and the only problem we had was mustering the arse to move those rounds over into position. That said, it is a bit slower since you do have to carry/roll the round over to it and get it set up just right. I can whip out a log of smaller rounds pretty quick with the axe. I picked up a Fiskars Splitting Axe last year and it does dang near as good as my 8lb maul and weighs quite a bit less so I last a little longer.

1665806052980.png

I occasionally get a somewhat knotty maple or oak round that I have to cut thru vertically with the chainsaw almost all the way to be able to split it. The splitting axe and even the heavy maul just kind of bounce off it. Fortunately those are not very common - maybe 3-4 per year.

I've been cutting/splitting/stacking firewood the last month or so (due to my health I can only do so much per day, sometimes have to take breaks for several days due to my back).

I have a little over a cord now. I got most of the logs done that I hauled out of the back acreage 3 years ago. Now I am going back there and cutting more from the piles that have been sitting there since the clear cut. There is about 5-10 cords sitting there that hasn't been touched yet. I am thinking I will need another cord or two - I had two cords last year and ran out in January (I stopped when I had about a week's worth left as I often have power outages and I wanted some left for those).

This time last year I was already heating with the stove - it was in the low 50s. This week it has been in the 70s here, and low 80s in town. I had to stop yesterday due to the heat, I got started too late. In about 30 minutes I will drive back to the back acreage and start cutting on the big pile.

I am afraid that if Ukraine/Russia gets worse, we might need that firewood to stay warm and I can't get back there once it starts raining, it is just too muddy.

_nc_ohc=-7WsUPYOsDUAX9bV3xY&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Last Edited:
Spent four hours chipping wood /;brush today. I don't remember getting weak. Sure can't do what I use to. Some ibuvrophin sounds about right for me as well.

Ibuprofin tonite? :)
Excedrin & Robaxin are working so far.

Go outside, unload the truck, split the rounds, stack them, take a break, rinse and repeat.

The unload/split/stack process is the bottleneck.

I leave the house at 730-8 AM, drive to the back acreage (about one mile), cut & load for 2-3 hours until my back screams for mercy. Some of those rounds are really heavy.

The cutting and loading in the morning is piling up the wood at the house.

Rain is supposed to roll in Friday PM, then clear Saturday, then rain for 3-4 days next week. I am trying to get this done before that happens; if it rains enough I can't get back there and wet wood gets moldy.

I have about 2 cords now. I would like to have three before I have to stop, and even then that won't be enough if I rely solely on wood for heat - ideally I need about 4-5 cords. I had two cords last winter and it only lasted from October to January. I am lucky this year that October has been dry and warm so far. Last year at this time I was already using wood for heat.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top