JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
UPDATE
1930 hours
Son and his 2 bug-out pals made it to the Airbnb outside of Savannah, GA, that the ex and I reserved for them. He's out of harm's way for now. Normally a 5-hour drive that took ~7 hours. Not bad time for a hurricane evacuation... One of the gals with him has family in North Carolina, and that's where they were initially headed. Although I don't really see the need to continue on to NC tomorrow at this point... :s0092: Unless Ian can somehow jump the Florida peninsula and re-strengthen into another hurricane on the Atlantic coast... :eek:

Some other friends of his headed south to parental homes in Miami. Took that group 7+ hours to make what is normally a 4-hour drive. Wouldn't have wanted to be in that linear parking lot...

I think The Boy has learned a small lesson in preparedness from Dear Ol' Dad, and that Dad isn't such a goober for preaching preparedness after all. The kid didn't get around to full-on prepping for this hurricane until after all of the water in the stores was bought and gone. But we rallied and he made due with one of those orange 5-gallon Gatorade coolers that he filled at his apartment and carted out to his car!

Last Edited:
UPDATE
1930 hours
Son and his 2 bug-out pals made it to the Airbnb outside of Savannah, GA, that the ex and I reserved for them. He's out of harm's way for now. Normally a 5-hour drive that took ~7 hours. Not bad time for a hurricane evacuation... One of the gals with him has family in North Carolina, and that's where they were initially headed. Although I don't really see the need to continue on to NC tomorrow at this point... :s0092: Unless Ian can somehow jump the Florida peninsula and re-strengthen into another hurricane on the Atlantic coast... :eek:

Some other friends of his headed south to parental homes in Miami. Took that group 7+ hours to make what is normally a 4-hour drive. Wouldn't have wanted to be in that linear parking lot...

I think The Boy has learned a small lesson in preparedness from Dear Ol' Dad, and that Dad isn't such a goober for preaching preparedness after all. The kid didn't get around to full-on prepping for this hurricane until after all of the water in the stores was bought and gone. But we rallied and he made due with one of those orange 5-gallon Gatorade coolers that he filled at his apartment and carted out to his car!
Glad to hear he's out of harm's way, and that he was able to improvise on short notice! Hopefully this is a lesson well-learned.

Glad to hear he's out of harm's way, and that he was able to improvise on short notice! Hopefully this is a lesson well-learned.
Hopefully, yes! This exercise will be a rehearsal for next year's hurricane season! :s0140:

Never kept cases of water on hand until I lived in Florida. Living in the Tampa Bat metro area, there is always the possibility of tropical storms and hurricanes. Also taught me to keep all critical documents in a manner that lends itself to grab and go.

@sobo - glad to hear your son has made it out to a safer location. It's always nerve racking to either need to evacuate or have loved ones that need to evacuate. Hopefully Ian is a quick pass by with no sustained damage and life can get back to normal…

_nc_ohc=X0HLZyzxy64AX_tZhzQ&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

And I live in Oregon - but JIC...

@sobo there may be an amazing amount of rainfall and storm surge about to hit the area. This is as of 500am PT on Tuesday morning.

Also note the amount of rain predicted for Jacksonville.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/100939.shtml?rainqpf#contents

View attachment 1282990
He and his 2 bug-out pals made it to the "Airbnb" in Savannah last night that the ex and I rented for him. Seems that if you're under 21 yoa, you can't rent a hotel room on the East Coast on your own. Go figure... Turns out the "Airbnb" was a very nicely kept, newer Airstream trailer that sleeps four, just outside of Savannah. The kids loved it - "cozy and comfy", as they described it. They celebrated making it out of Tampa with pizza and sodas at the trailer last night. They even sent us a short video.

I just got off the phone with him 15 minutes ago and they are on their way to Winston-Salem (NC) today to hole up for the rest of the week at the home of one of the girls' parents and wait for Ian to blow over. As long as there's no road issues today, they should make W-S by sundown.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads